It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Question Help - Bartonella (Cat Scratch Fever) rash?

Dear friends,

I have been on Levaquin for 17 days to fight a suspected Bartonella co-infection.

I have been on the lookout for tendon pain and blessedly, I have none.

I do have severe muscle soreness every day.

In addition, I noticed a rash developing on my body last night.

It is on my thighs. There are 19 spots. They are smaller than a dime. (I remembered to take photos of them!!)

They are cirular, dark purple/red and look as if I was pinched (I wish!).

They are scattered from my knee to my upper thigh. Some of them seem to in pairs.

One pair in particular look like I scratched myself with a fork. I did a web search and found that one strain of Bartonella is called Cat Scratch Fever, because the rash that develops look like claw marks.

Mine don't look like claw marks but they are still upsetting to see.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? Has anyone heard of Bartonella rashes?

I see my LLMD in two weeks and I will be sure to show her.

I wonder if the rash means that the Bartonella critters are in death throws or at least on the run.

Any comments welcome as this is upsetting for me. I remember Tom Hanks got spots like this in the movie "Philadelphia" and I'm wondering if it could be very serious or just Bartonella.

Thanks and happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!

Old 06-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User
Re: Help - Bartonella (Cat Scratch Fever) rash?

Hi 6Blues:

I don't know what that rash could be. Bartonella can actually be caused by getting scratched by a cat. Ticks transmit the same bacteria which is Bartonella Hensleia.

I know Bartonella rashes are supposed to look like strech marks, or can even be mistaken for spider veins. It is a good thing that you took pictures of your rash. I hope you feel better soon...

Frango

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
(male)

Floxed HB User

Hi again 6Blues,

I re-read my response to you on the other thread about Levaquin, and forgot to explicity mention that muscle soreness is a possible side-effect of Levaquin. I hinted at it through my ramblings, but felt a need to share it more directly.

Since taking it, I have experienced soreness that truly seems out of this world. Prior to taking it, I could have ran all day long, to the point of collapse, and not ever experienced anything like it. This is seperate from the tendon damage that these drugs can also cause.

I don't have any knowledge of Bartonella however, so I can't dispute your idea that your symptoms are being caused by die-off. However, knowing what I know, I'd bet quite a sum that the Levaquin is behind your complaints. Again, my response to you in the other thread outlines the inherent problems with trying to pinpoint causation.

So please be careful, and take care.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Is this the same cat scratch fever that I have gotten from cats scratching me?? If it is I never got the claw mark rashes...Just fevers, chills, and knocked me down...

Good Luck Blues!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the input guys.

The soreness I feel is not constant, it may worsen or lessen here and there.

I'm going to stay on the Levaquin. I have a feeling that its working for me.

Will keep you posted.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Hi 6Blues,

Sorry for the delayed post. I haven't been able to use my computer in forever. I am going through all the old posts and reading them tonight..thanks to my insomnia.

I have purple spots too. Mine are scattered sporadically around my arms. They are about the size of a pea..some are a little smaller. They don't itch or anything. I am positve for bartonella and I have been taking amox. 3000 mg a day for several months now.

Do my marks sound similiar to yours? Do you still have them? Mine have only been here for a couple of days. I hope they last until I get to my LLMD in two weeks. I took some pictures just in case they don't.

Your description is the same one I used to my GP. It looks like someone pinched me.

I hope yours are going away...deb

Old 07-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Deb! So good to hear from you.

Yesterday I was so sick I coulnd't reach my finger over to the Shift key to capitolize and puncuate - and look at me now. I figured I better post back to you before I get too tired & achey to write.

My spots went away after about a week. Glad I took pictures. They haven't come back yet but I am looking closely for them.

Although I tested negative twice for Bartonella, me and my LLMD suspected it. So I started the Levaquin.

Immediately I got severe muscle pain. Then the rash. Now I can feel my brain is more clear.

I use these things as evidence of a Bartonella co-infection. Its been a month now that I've been treating it.

I've been trying to find out what kind of bacteria this Bart is: rod, spirochete, etc? How long is its life cycle? How long does it take to eradicate? etc.

I have no info yet - been too sick to surf the web ... and for me, thats SICK.

Your spots sound just like mine, except mine were on my thighs.

I took a western blot for Bartonella henselae through MDL labs. My LLMD said the negative result is no cause for alarm because there may be different species of Bart or it may be a Bartonella-like organism.

What test did you take that came back positive?

Hope this post finds you doing well!

Peace and health and quick recovery to you.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Hi,

I can't remember the specific name of the test and I can't find my results at the moment. It was through Igenex though and the results said something like anything over 1:40 is positive and mine was 1:80. I will try to find them later and get back to you. I have such insomnia at night time and now my butt is dragging today. I thought I was going to fall asleep in church today.

I am going to try and stay awake though so I will pass out in bed tonight. I look some more for my paperwork.

My largest purple spot..the one that's the size of a pea...has a white ring in the middle of it today. My other ones don't though. Strange I guess.

Take care..deb

Closed Thread