It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
(male)

cappy7 HB User
allergies or lyme?

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, but I normally post on the Allergy board. My Dr. has been pushing this off as allergies and I'm starting to wonder. I had a blood test done and it came back negative for lyme. I'm fairly certain it was the one that is not at all accurate. A quick list of my symptoms are, pressure in head, sinus pressure, ear popping/cracking/fullness, neck is stiff, cracks, pops, back is sore / stiff, sometimes I have a sore throat, horseness when I talk, fatigue sometimes, joint pain, tingling sensation, hot flashes, muscle achiness, throat feels swollen simetimes.etc...I started having these symptoms back in April, that's why my doctor is saying Allergies. These symptoms come and go and vary from day to day. Since this has been one of the worst allergies seasons in years, it might be, but I'm not conviced. I've read on the allergy board that certain allergens can cause these symptoms. The two things that annoy me the most is the ear pressure/fullness and the stiff neck.

Is there another test I should seek out? I have this feeling all my symptoms are not realted to allergies.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
(male)

cappy7 HB User
Re: allergies or lyme?

Oh, I forgot to mention the headaches, which are associated with the sinus pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi cappy7 and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are so sick. The symptoms for Lyme are varied and some people get some symptoms and others get different ones. Here is a Lyme Disease symptom list:

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

It may be worth getting tested at a reputable lab. I went from one doctor to another looking for a diagnosis for my strange symptoms. It was so frustrating to be sick and not know what was wrong!

I had my blood sent to Igenex lab in Palo Alto CA. It cost a few hundred bucks but for me it was worth it. My blood came back as positive for Lyme so I then knew what I was dealing with and I could start treatment.

I also have popping/full ears and it drives me crazy! I hold my nose closed and 'blow' to pop them but they fill up again. argh.

Hang in there. You can go to the Igenex web site and surf around. I think you can even order the test kit from there. Then your doc can draw the blood and send it in.

Let us know what happens, ok?

Peace and health to you - and feel better!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
(male)

cappy7 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I'm going back to my Dr. next week. I'll talk to him about getting tested again. How often did you experience your symptoms? Mine vary in intensity from day to day. Some day's I feel like I'm getting better then I'll geel like crap again. Maybe it is allergies and they are just hitting me real bad this year...who knows.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I know how frustrating is it to feel different from day to day. One day I can think and hold a conversation, the next day all I can do is sit on my couch and play spider solitaire.

Hang in there.

You may want to read up on the different types of Lyme tests. The ELISA test is usually the first one that doctors run, but it is also the least reliable.

If you do decide to test for Lyme, you may as well do it right.

Let us know what your doc says.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
(male)

cappy7 HB User

Thanks again. Do any of you experience acid reflux / indigestion? I already had some of this before I started feeling this way. It has really gotten worse since. I didn't know if lyme could cuase this to become worse. From what I'm reading, lyme can aggrevate lots of things.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
(female)

Candy530324 HB User

Have you tried over-the-counter allergy meds to see if the symptoms go away? I have Lyme and a myriad of allergies and take Claritin D in the day and benadryl at night, plus get 2 shots a month. My Lyme symptoms are over and above that. Joint pain is not a usual (or normal, I wouldn't think) symptom of environmental allergies. Food allergies can do some strange things - I had a rash on my shins from the first time I ate red pistachios in college. It took two months to go away and so I ate them again after that and it came back. Proof enough for me and that was before I took all these allergy preventative measures.

Remember, many, many doctors do not want to diagnose Lyme due to the lack of definitive tests for it and the VAST number of symptoms patients may have that have been diagnosed, treated and cured by LLMDs (Lyme-literate doctors.)
Insurance companies are a problem too since they look for any excuse not to pay. My neighbor, a head of health servcies at a university, (whose family of 4 has Lyme) has had to fight her company many times and has eventually gotten reimbursed. We all must, unfortunately, be patient. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

I've had a hiatus hernia and esophagitis for many years and the only thing that helps my reflux that is not medication, is lying on my left side (as soon as I lie on my right, I can actually feel the acid coming up my esophagus) Sitting up helps too and drinking water.

For meds, I very rarely take the prescription strength of antacid - the over the counters never did anything for me and just taking one RX will usually keep me for a few weeks....also watching what I eat!

Closed Thread