It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
(female)

Soupdejour HB User
Can you contract Lyme from a partner?

Hi there,
I'm new here so get ready for some off the wall questions, thanks for your patience -

Besides tick origination - was reading on a message board somewhere that there are theories that some intimate partners/SO's of lyme patients are being diagnosed, people who have claimed to have not recieved tick bites.

Is this true?

thanks and wishing good health for all here

Old 06-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Can you contract Lyme from a partner?

Yes it is true...doesn't even have to be intimate in cases...I know a man and he is a doctor...he has lyme and the rest of the members in his home...he believes they used the same glasses and utensils and it was spread that way....There are alot of opiinons on this one...the CDC says no, so I know if they say no then it has to be a yes......

Have a nice day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
(female)

Soupdejour HB User

Thank you for the quick response! Put this in the category of 'more info than you want to know' - but to show where my concerns are - about 3 weeks my partner in our romantic encounter (who was diagnosed w/Lyme last year from tick bite) - and well won't into specifics but ahem, pardon the expression - his *active body fluid* accidently came in contact w/an open cut I had gotten a few days before, didn't think much of it at the time.

About two days after started feeling I was coming down w/the flu, my glands were swollen, sore throat, etc..it lasted for a few days and thought it was a normal cold.

What got me thinking is..yesterday started feeling I was coming down again, sore throat etc fatigue..
I currently have a Chronic Fatigue like syndrome already so have had some of these problems over time...but usually don't get two *cold* type sympton sets in so close a time..

Maybe I've got Lymes?

thanks for listening and
wishing health for all,

Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

At this point the two confirmed ways of transmission are either through tickbite or in utero (mother to fetus). Both of these have been scientifically documented. Tick borne diseases can also be spread through blood transfusion of contaminated blood, which is why patients with active Lyme should not donate blood and patients who have ever had Babesiosis can never donate.

The reason for speculation on other forms of transmission, such as sexual, is because the causative organism, Borrelia burgdorferi, has been isolated in all bodily fluids including semen and breast milk. In a study, the offspring of Bb infected lactating mice were shown to be infected. Also, Bb is a spirochete, the same classification of organism as the one which causes syphillus, and the speculation goes that if syphyllis can be sexually transmitted then perhaps Lyme could too.

On the one hand there is to date no documented case of sexual transmission. However, many of us have seen case after case after case in which both partners in a relationship are infected. There are a number of people who believe they passed it to their partners. Some would say that this could be because they spent time in the same tick infested areas, but there are some couples for whom this is not the case and yet still both are infected. There definitely needs to be more research on this.

Closed Thread