It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

KCLyme HB User
Cholestyramine (Questran) as Detox?

Have any of you used cholestyramine as a detox method either during or after treatment? I would love to hear from anyone that has---including whether you are following Shoemaker's protocol for it.

I'm using it now with Ceftin and it seems to be working well, but I'm wondering if it would work better if the dosage was increased and if it will be likely to continue to be effective in the months ahead.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: Cholestyramine (Questran) as Detox?

I have used it, I think it does a good job of detoxing. It definitely helps, however it is very constipating so take your prunes. Also, you cannot take cholestyramine at the same time as anything else including thyroid meds, vitamins, minerals, hormones, antibiotics, yeast meds, or anything because it binds to all these things and sends them right out of you. You don't want to waste your pills, so be careful what time of day you take your cholestyramine.

I hope it works for you, it is pretty effective if you are willing to work around the drawbacks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hi, KC:

I use Cholecystyramine as a detox, but I just can't get the hang of using it 3 times a day - I have other meds that are time released and though I've spoken to my pharmacist about it, as was said, it's very hard to not hit on a time when my meds are/are possibly being released.

I run on wierd sleeping schedules and sometimes don't wake till close to noon (especially after physically/mentally working hard the day before) and then need a "nap" in the afternoon and to sleep early. But most days, just can't figure it out unless I go without meds for at least 2 hours after taking it in the morning, or taking it in the middle of the night or .........aghhhh too confusing..... but I try once in a while... can't say it really helps any more, say, than the detox baths....

Maybe one day when my brain can work the whole big picture of everything involved out, I can do it correctly.....sighhhh

Sorry, I'm not much, if any help.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi I used it when I was first diagnoised...back in 1999....the problem I had was.....I was sooooooo constipated anyway and then the cholestyramne just added to it...And what I was told if you can't poop it out then it really is defeating the purpose of it...since those little critters were suppose to get bound up in it....But it is suppose to be really good for the lymies.....

Good Luck with it!!! hey do whatever is needed to do to get rid of these buggers.....

Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
(female)

KCLyme HB User

Thanks for all the good info. Sounds like it is worth it to keep going. I've been taking it between lunch and dinner and last thing before bed. So far, so good. Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Is this the same thing as reversatrol?

Prema

Old 07-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

peregrine, I think you are asking about resveratrol, which is the potent ingredient in polygonatum cuspidatum, the anti-lyme herb mentioned in Dr. Buhner's book.

Resveratrol is a substance that is produced by several plants and that is sold as a nutritional supplement. It has number of beneficial health effects, such as anti-cancer, anti-viral, neuroprotective, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and life-prolonging effects. Resveratrol is produced by plants as an antifungal. It is found in the skins of certain red grapes, in peanuts, blueberries, some pines (Scots pine, eastern white pine) and the roots and stalks of Japanese knotweed (hu zhang in China) and giant knotweed.

The amount of resveratrol in food substances varies greatly. Red wine contains approximately 5 mg/L, depending on the grape variety, whilst white wine has much less - the reason being that red wine is fermented with the skins, allowing the wine to absorb the resveratrol, whereas white wine is fermented after the skin has been removed.

Resveratrol is available as a mass-produced nutritional supplement but not supported by the FDA as a therapeutic agent (although it is registered as an investigational drug). The supplement, first sourced as ground dried red grape skins, has shifted somewhat to include knotweeds (polygonatum).

Resveratrol interferes with all three stages of carcinogenesis - initiation, promotion and progression. Due to these discoveries resveratrol is currently being investigated extensively as a cancer chemopreventive agent.

Also, Resveratrol has recently been reported to be effective against neuronal cell dysfunction and cell death, and may be of use for diseases such as Huntington's disease and Alzheimer's disease and of course, lyme disease.

To read more about this herb, check out Dr. Buhner's book. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of it, but it's around here somewhere. I'll tell you next time I write in.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I'm sorry, after all that babbling, I still didn't answer your question. No, cholestyramine is not the same thing as resveratrol.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Hi sleeperwoken and thanks for all that info.

Yes, resveratrol is what I meant. I actually just ordered some recently. I have Buhner's book so will look for it there. This is supposed to be good for high cholesterol as well, which is why I ordered it as I have genetically high cholesterol.

Prema

Old 07-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi.

I've never taken either of these supplements but I do relate completely on the difficulties of timing the pills. Its a pain in the neck!!

Good luck KC!

Closed Thread