It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

algstewart HB User
Can you help diagnose this?

I'm worried my husband has MS - I've been tracking his symptoms for several months. Another possibility is Lyme's disease. Here are the symptoms:

Chronic fatigue
Chronic numbness in leg
Numbness in arm, behind one eye
Feeling that eye is going blind, but still has full vision
Dizziness (sometimes so severe he needs to lie down)
Chest pain
Stiff neck
Neck pain (feels like a nerve snapped)
Headaches

Can anyone help with this? One doctor laughed at the idea of Lyme's disease, and another said he was pretty sure it wasn't MS...and we've had two diagnoses of migraines. I really don't think it's migraines, and it's getting worse, whatever it is. I'm trying to help figure it out so we can help him get better, if that's an option.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this - it's nice to know we're not alone, though I wouldn't wish this kind of confusion and worry on anyone else.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User
Re: Can you help diagnose this?

I was told that my symptoms were fibromyalgia in 1993 and probable MS in 2002. Know now it is lyme that was never cured from 19 yrs ago. Most drs don't take lyme serious and don't listen. Please post area you live in and someone will come on with name of LLMD (lyme literate medical dr) in your area.)

Lyme is a clincal diagnosis and your husband would need to be assessed by a LLMD.

My mind is a little fuzzy and I'm sure others will come on with info. Ticker is an excellent source. She'll probably be along soon also.

I pray your husband will soon have the answers that he needs to get him on road to recovery.

Prayers....Marsha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi algstewart, welcome to the board!

I am sorry your husband is sick. Many people who have Lyme were first diagnosed with other illnesses including CFS, Fibromyalgia, MS, and ALS. Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

If you post where you are located, we can tell you of the closest knowledgeable doctors to you that we know of.

Hang in there okay? Do not give up, you will get answers. You definitely are not alone. Your husband is so lucky to have your support.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
(female)

algstewart HB User

Thank you, Marsha and Ticker - I really appreciate your replies. We live in Northern Wyoming. I'm guessing the closest llmd would be in Denver? We also spend time in Door County, WI and in eastern PA (Allentown, Poconos), which is probably where he got it, if it's lyme.

Two more questions - he's had lyme before. Could that mean anything? Also, he was tested for lyme in February, and the only "reactive" result was the "45 KD (IGG) band." Does that mean anything to you?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi algstewart. It is possible that he was not treated long enough or aggressively enough initially. How long was he treated? It is also possible that he was reinfected.

The Western Blot test lists several numerical bands with a + - or IND after each one. Some people who have band 45 positive, also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis. This was true in my case. Was your husband ever tested for all the co-infections?

No Lyme test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. It is important to be tested by a Lyme lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. They use more sensitive testing and list more bands on the Western Blot.

I do not know of any Lyme doctors in WY. I know of one in Colorado Springs, but I don't know how aggressive he treats. If you would like his name, let me know.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI Algstewart
The 1 thing that seperated the 2 for me was the twitching, body and most definately the twitching eyebrow.

Hope this helps unless any one can confirm twitching in MS?
Ive been in contact with some local MS sufferers naturally spreadng the lyme word, and the twitching seems to be a miss where Ms is more prominent

Jules xx

Closed Thread