It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
Husband just diagnosed with Lyme Desease

Hi,
My husband was just told last night that he has lyme desease. They took no tests at the hospital, he has a 2 1/2 in dia. red circle, that itches & burns. It started out on this past monday as big as a nickel by wed. it was 2 1/2 in.dia. it doubled it's size in less than 12 hours on wed. He was given the anti-biotic (doxy) ans some topical creme and benedryl and told to follow up at the family Dr. on fri. He has had no other symptoms beside the red circle rash on his leg.

My question is what should he expect at the Dr.'s tomorrow and kind of tests should they be doing? I have read the info on here and I am a lil confused as to how the Dr. came to this diagnosis with out any test, he just looked at the area and asked some questions, when did ti start, where were you?

My hubby works at an animal shelter but not with the animals, he's in charge of the building, he doesn't really come in contact with the animals at all. We do have 4 dogs and 3 indoor cats, but they are treated with frontline plus regularly. We live in the heart of the city not in the country. I know I sound very uneducated about this, because I am. I do hope some of you can help us to understand how serious or not serious this is.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless

Carol

Old 07-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Husband just diagnosed with Lyme Desease

Hi Carol, welcome to the board!

I am sorry your husband has Lyme, but it is good he has been diagnosed so he can get the treatment he needs. Please get photos of his rash, it is important documentation. Place something near it, like a coin or ruler, to give it size definition. Then you have evidence of it if needed later.

Although a bullseye rash is a definite sign of Lyme, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. The rash alone merits treatment regardless of test results. It is good the doctor recognized the rash.

Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many different symptoms. It is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS and the number one vector-borne disease in the US. It is in every state. Ticks are everywhere. You do not have to be in the woods to get bitten. The majority of people who are bitten by ticks are bitten on residential property. Many people are bitten without knowing it because ticks are tiny and inject a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you.

What dose of Doxy is he taking and for how long? From what I understand, an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.

A few tips about Doxy. Do not have any dairy, magnesium or iron products two hours before or after taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. If it makes your husband nauseous, have him eat something substantial and non-dairy before taking it. Tell him to drink a full glass of water when he takes it. Avoid the sun. He can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Tell him not to lay down for at least an hour after taking it or he can ulcerate his esophagus. This is very painful!

Whenever he takes any antibiotics, make sure he takes high-quality acidophilus capsules. They replace the good bacteria in the body and help to prevent yeast overgrowth (which men and women can both get). The best ones to get are refrigerated. Most healthfood stores have them. Tell him to wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus.

Be aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks. It is a good idea to document his symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms he has each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when his herxes occur and how he is responding to the meds.

It is important to learn as much as you can. I recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner, and reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols.

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

If you post where you are located when can tell you of the closest knowledgeable doctors we know of. It sounds like your husband's infection is early, which is good. This is the best time to eradicate it. Getting the proper treatment now may reduce the chance of long-term complications. Under-treated or untreated Lyme or tick-borne illnesses can be serious and debilitating.

Hang in there okay? Good help is available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Welcome to the board, though sorry you have to be here.

Ticker just said it all, excellent advice.

Just wanted to second the suggestion of photographing the rash with an object in the picture to show the size via comparison. This could be critical information later on. Unfortunately it can sometimes be very difficult to get a proper diagnosis and taken seriously. This is an extremely serious disease and it is vital that it be treated aggressively as early as possible. If it is treated properly at the correct time it is possible to eradicate for the most part. If not, it can produce devastating consequences later on.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
Thanks for the great info, I knew I would get some good info here. Hubby is feeling the flu like symptoms now, the rash is not getting bigger, I guess thats a good sign. He does look terrible and I am watching him closely. He was prescribed 100 mg. twice daily was given 20 tablets with 1 refill from ER dr. He sees the family Dr. tomorrow morning. I'm assuming that he will extend the meds. If he doesn't we will search for an infectious desease Dr.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated.

God Bless

Carol

Old 07-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

Hi Carol,

Let us know how the appointment goes ok? I agree that you need pictures! That was the first question my LLMD asked me. 100mg 2x a day isn't strong enough. He needs to be on at least 400mg. If you doctor isn't comfortable treating this then he needs to be seen by an LLMD. They will get him on the proper dose so your husband can nip this disease early.

Good luck!

Cindy

Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
What is LLMD? I am going to make sure he gets the right treatment, thanks so much for all the info.

Carol

Old 07-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

GiGiof2 HB User

Lyme Literate Medical Doctor~~~ Good luck to you!!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
Thanks!!!

Carol

Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
(female)

GiGiof2 HB User

Hi Carol ~~Welcome ! looks like me and you r up late LOL LOL ~~~~ Ticker gave you some great advice ~~ But she always does~~Tinuviel also~~ There's a lot of great info on these boards just keep reading~~ and get the book's people recomend~~ Knowledge is sooooooooo important with this disease!!! good luck ~~ GiGi

Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

HI,
I'm a night owl due to back problems, I'm usually on the back problems board at this hour. I am reading away, I NEVER dreamed that this desease was so terrible, I'm still shocked at what I'm reading. I have a whole other appreciation for this problem.

I will be praying for all on this board.

God Bless

Carol

Old 07-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
(female)

GiGiof2 HB User

Like you Carol I also never imagined how bad it could be ~~~I have been struggling for years always knowing something was wrong with me ~~~last March thing's really blew up ~~~BUT still no one gave me an answer~~I found out about 5 months thanks to a friend who had it~ and pushed me to DrE ~~~~ She gave me the diagnosis~~~ Pretty darn sad ~~for a lot of people on here especially for the young one's !!!!!! It is so sad ,so sad no one know's as Tinuviel said in one of her post's just how bad it really is ~~~ and very lonely also ~~~ I have lost 2 friends whom I thought of all people, would definitely understand and be there for me~~~BUT you live and learn~~~ I personally have found having this disease to be a very lonely experience~~~ BUT I do also have some really great friend's that have been wonderful!!!! BUT I would prefer to be by myself mostly while dealing with this~~~ But there is a lot of hope here on the board's which is great ~~the people here really do share ~~~ So keep reading GiGi

Old 07-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi mama! sorry to hear that, but good he got diagnosed! i had the same rush on my arm, never felt any bite, and i strugle 9 months to get diagnose... when did he got bit?? thats very important, before with in 4 weeks is very simple to treat, just with 6 weeks of doxy will do it, itherwise it gets cronic and is much much much more complicated..but i think 200 doxy is not really enoght, i think he should be taking 300 a day, but again, it all depends when ws the bite ,if is recent, 200 as for what i have herd is good. i wish i found a doctor who knew what was lime a year ago, i would neve have been in the situacion i am now, good luck!!

Old 07-14-2006, 08:08 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi Brid,
He noticed a small ringworm type mark this past monday 6-10, it went from that to 2 1/2 in. dia. in two days. it's on his leg. He felt a burning itchy feeling monday evening while we were at a neighborhood concert in a public garden. He never really looked down, just kind of rubbed his leg with his other foot, when we got home he noticed the mark, we thought it was ringworm, he works at an animal shelter, so not so inlikely. Well I know it ringworm doesn't get that big or that fast, so I urged him to go to Er. We think it was only two days, but we never saw a tick.

I do hope the 200mg a day is enough since he won't go to get another opinion. I'm so sorry you have to suffer with this. I have severe back problems that can't be fixed, I know how hard it is to get a good Dr. for anything it seems. I went for many many yrs being told I had many things, by the time they started looking at my back, it was too far gone. I had 4 fusions and we all came to the conclusion I can't be fixed .

I wish all of you on here didn't have to suffer, it certainly seems like a horrible thing to have to live with.

God Bless

Carol

Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I will be praying for both you and your husband. Marsha

Closed Thread