Hubby went to Dr.'s this morning, family Dr. They said he was ok with the 100 mg. doxy twice a day, and he will be ok with that for ten days, if he has trouble after that to come back. He has the flu symptoms and EXTREME fatigue. I have told him all that I have learned on here, he is happy with what the doc has said. I questioned the low dose and they said those others(you on board) must have had more symptoms than hubby has, there is not reason to put him on higher dose.
Well I want him to see someone else, he doesn't. I'm so afraid this will blow up in his face down the road, how can I get him to see another dr.? Am I panicking based on what I have read and seen on here? I am disabled from chronic back problems, I know how hard it is to accept a serious thing, but I can't help but feel if he doesn't get strong enough treatment now, he can have the long term problems.
"Thru every dark corner is a door to a new light"
The most important thing your husband can do is see a Lyme doctor. 200 mg of Doxy daily is not strong enough for Lyme. I believe the recommended dose is 300-600 mg daily. Ten days of treatment is not long enough. From what I understand, an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.
You are right to be concerned. The good news is that your husband's infection is early. Getting the proper treatmnent now (which will be less expensive and less lengthy in the long run) may reduce the chance of long-term complications. It is important to eradicate the infection as early as possible and be tested for co-infections. Sometimes people can keep Lyme symptoms at bay, even for years, until their immune system becomes additionally stressed (illness, accident, divorce etc.) then symptoms emerge.
The closest Lyme doctor to OH that I know of is in Hermitage, PA. If you would like the name, let me know.
Tell your husband to be on the lookout for the herx reaction.
AND, if you would like info on the doctor in Hermitage let me know REMOVED. I see this doctor myself.
Please stress the importance of getting the proper dosage and treatment. He doesn't want to end up here where a lot of us are. Keep in mind though that you can't change your husband. You can give him the info but he will have to make the decision to go or not.
Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.
Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.
My daughter lives in Berea, Ohio. I think about 20 miles from Cleveland. Anyway, last year after coming back to Delaware for her high school reunion, she found a deer tick attached to her side. I told her to take the tick home with her in case she gets sick and don't you know, 3 days later she felt like a truck hit. Like you hubby she was given Doxy 200 mg daily, but for 3 weeks. Because she had the tick no test was done and she was told to return if she did not feel better. She was lucky and remains well.
I still would feel better if she saw a LLMD. Many people feel better for a time only to have the Lyme return.