It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User
Please read this HAVE YOU SEEN A TICK

I am in such a state right now, I could cry, i dont knwo what to do or who to contact.

I have found no less than 20 creatures which i belive to be ticks, crawling around on my sons window ciel.
Has to of been brought in by the cat.

i have concidered baby bettles but the marking seem different and i cant make out much by eye.

I swiped they into a plastic pot.
When they dropped in they made a sound so they are not soft like flys, spiders.
These are just like tiny pepper corns.

again possible hard like beetle, but i feel sick to my stomach, what if they are not, and some have to of fallen off onto the floor.

I have had alot of digginf done here so now mostly dry earth. The cat has been rolling in it every day like a hippo.

yes im rambling, im so scared.
Any one know where i can send or take these here in UK or Bristol and! its b....dy saturday.

jules xxx

Old 07-15-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Please read this HAVE YOU SEEN A TICK

Hi Jules. I am sorry about this, but maybe they are not ticks. I don't think ticks would make the plopping sound you heard when you put them into the pot. Place them into a Ziploc bag and seal it.

First, do you treat your cat with Frontline or a similar product? I don't think it is too likely ticks would be crawling on the window sill. Do you have a magnifying glass? I suggest getting one or better yet a photographer's loupe. This is a magnifying glass that you could place over the bug so you don't have to worry about where it is going while you are looking at it. Get a good look at it so you can identify it. Look at photos of ticks and/or beetles. Ticks have definite mouthparts. Look at the coloring of the bug and do some research to determine what it may be.

You could always take the bugs to a lawn/garden shop. They may be able to help you identify them.

Try not to worry okay? See what you can find out and let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI Ticker
I have a jewlers glass, so have been up close and personnel now about an hour.
It has one body section.
6 legs.
a shell which resembles that of a crab.
the top part is black then 1/3rd way down the back it stops and continues in the centre down the back in 3 squares the surroundung 2/3rds are a tan colour

the edges of teh back shell are like a crab with little marking s round teh edges, reminds me of a home made pies thumb prints edge.

i cant find a head.
But at one point i thought i saw something similar to what comes out of a Mosquitos mouth, quiet long and pointed but it could have been a leg?
As Ticks dont has this drinking spout do they?

thanks for this ticker.
im so scared for my lad, and well i daren't say on here whats going to happen to the cat!

ADDED-- I manage to treat puss with front line 3 months a year and i do that at the hot start of summer, its only perscription med here and £14 for 3 treatments. So sadly i do him when I can. I have the very strong house spray with it.

Last edited by battling on; 07-15-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Oh Jules, I'm so sorry. Sounds like a scene from a horror movie.

I used to be a pretty tough cookie, but now when I see a tick - I freak.

First - relax. Deep breath.

Then you may want to check yourself and your son for any critters - just to put your mind at ease.

You can go online and identify insects. I do it ( but for fun). There are a few good insect sites, you want to look for an idenitfication key.

Conversly, you can go to the some of Lyme association sites to see close ups of ticks. Gross to see them that way but it may help you.

Frontline makes ticks drop off my cats. I find them on the bathroom rug, kitchen floor, my daughters pillow - totally creepy!

I can relate to your angst. Hang in there. You were very brave to put them in a jar.

I agree with Ticker that these critters probably aren't ticks.

A medal of courage to you.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

thanks 6 blues, i still havent found these things on the net, the more i think teh more im residing to teh fact they arent ticks, i dont think im residing because i know, im residing because i cant find out and if i cant find out tehn what can i do?

Im not sure if the critters are playing dead or are dieing?
There seams to be about 4 left of the 20, still energetic, and a tick to me is like a bionic bug so i dont think they would pop thier clogs if they where.

so i will just have to get on and hope for the best.
If a tick gets on an animal untreated, would they stay on it, so example 20 ticks have 20 meals. As it seems strange how they where trotting around on the the window ciel.

I can't help but react the way i did, i was so hurt inside that my lad could have been bit, i belive he has an underlying lyme from birth but he could have an eccelerator bite like i did. At least hes coping at this time with very little symptoms.

thanks all.
Jules xx

Old 07-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

I don't have anything to add that the others haven't already said, but have you considered giving your cat garlic if you can't afford the Frontline all year round? Also, on the net, I saw some homeopathic flea & tick treatments that may be cheaper.........

Old 07-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerribear
have you considered giving your cat garlic.
hes a demnading constant whining for attention, totaly barmy puss, but if i gave him garlic he would never come back home Thnaks Gerri
i will have to concider something alternative the need for frontline is just exploited, so much for vets caring for animals teh mark up is alot! chaep as chips in france.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Jules
I am so sorry that you are going thru this.

My thoughts are if your close to a vet and if they would just take a look at no cost (my vet would) you might get answer.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jules. I suggest taking them to a landscaping or gardening place to see if they can identify them. If they do not like the photos of ticks, they likely are not ticks.

Has your cat had Frontline this month?

Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI ticker
Alarm over hun, beatles have 6 legs ticks have 8.
and these things are all dead now, not sure why? but i think a Tick would be hiding in its shell thing waiting to pounce.

thnak you every one sorry to worry any one, but you knoo how it is. I laways wondered how i would react if i saw a tick again now io know!.

jules xx

Old 07-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jules. I am glad it was a false alarm! It is unlikely for ticks to hang out on a window sill.

Although it can be upsetting for a Lymie to see a tick, the good news is now we are armed with information about what to do. You cannot stop them, but knowledge is power.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Jules,

I'm a bit late nipping in here, having been away for 2 weeks.

If you do a search for BADA UK, they have leaflets and stuff which you can ******** showing a charming array of ticks.

Janet

Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Jules,

If you do a search for BADA UK, they have leaflets and stuff which you can ******** showing a charming array of ticks.

Janet

Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 AM   #14
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Jules,

Janet

Old 07-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #15
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Jules,

If you do a search on BADA UK, you can see pics of ticks.

Janet

Closed Thread