It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
A word for those with brain fog

Hi everyone.

I had major brain fog. I usually felt "drunk" and I had memory problems. I also flipped, or reversed, numbers and letters when typing and often could not think of simple words when I was trying to speak.

For those who also suffer from these symptoms, I had great improvement with Levaquin to fight a Bartonella co-infection.

It may be worth getting tested for Bartonella or try the Levaquin to see if you get a reaction. I tested negative but my LLMD decided to treat anyway and I am very grateful that she did.

I feel much better mentally and I wanted to spread the joy!

Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: A word for those with brain fog

Hi 6Blues. I am so glad Levaquin helped and you are feeling better! Thanks for sharing the information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Mickie
So glad you are seeing improvement. Glad your Dr had the wisdom to treat bartonella.
Marsha

Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
(female)

ZZZ16 HB User

Hi 6Blues. Glad you are feeling better! We are in the same situation - and I think we started Levaquin at the same time. It has helped me quite a bit too. How long will you be on it? I am supposed to for 90 days...

Old 07-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

GiGiof2 HB User

HOORAY FOR YOU !!!!!! 6 Blues!!!!!!! So happy to hear ur good news!!!!!GIGi

Old 07-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Hi 6Blues,

So happy for you that your brain fog is lifting. I get that alot. When I started to feel poorly this week that was one of my first symptoms to return. My brother in law got a head injury at work and I had to drive my sister to the hospital. After he was discharged I drove them home but I needed to stop and get gas. My gas tank is on the drivers side of the car but I pulled my car into the gas station so that the pumps were on the right side. No big deal..I will just turn the car around. I got in turned the car around to the other side of the pumps and got back out. I was still on the wrong side of the pumps. The worst part is I did it again before I finally got it right. My poor brother in law was sitting in the front seat with his head all stapled up and a great big gauze wrap around his head and he had to tell me how to get the car on the correct side. It sounds funny to me know but I was really confused at the time.

I tested positive for bartonella so I will do some research on your med and mention it to my LLMD. Thanks for the info.

Here's to no more confusing days...deb

Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks guys for the support.

I have no idea how long I'll be on Levaquin - but I love the stuff. I just had another, yet smaller, outbreak of the Bartonella rash, so that may have been a Herx. I hope I stay on it for a while yet.

The pain I get is not tendon pain, its muscle pain and it is severe!. I have to count to three before I squat onto the toilet seat.

I have pain in my feet, my legs, my knees, my arms, my thighs and my shoulders. My feet and my legs are the worst, as if I went horse back riding with rocks in my boots.

To me, this pain says the Bartonella is dying. I will ask my LLMD to keep me on this abx until this pain is gone so I can feel confident that I've killed it all.

Peace and health to all,
Mickie

Last edited by 6Blues; 07-17-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

YEAH Mickie!!!!!!!! That is wonderful news! I am so very happy that you have found an antibiotic that is working for you.

After starting my new antibiotics about 4 days ago I feel wonderful too! I swear I am a new person. I'm trying to not think of the fact that this probably won't last long. It's ok though 'cause I am getting a ton of stuff done. I love feeling good as I know you do too!

Please update us often and let us know if it is still working. I'm also curious to know how long you will be on the antibiotic. I forgot to ask how long I would be on mine. I think I was half asleep (literally!) when I was there so I don't remember much.

Anyway, take great care of yourself.....you deserve it!

Cindy

Old 07-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Thanks 6blues for the very helpful information. Bartonella can be a beast to deal with. I really believe that getting the co-infections under control is key to curbing and eradicating the Lyme. Glad you had a good experience with the Levaquin.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:37 AM   #10
(female)

Linnyloo HB User

Hi 6 blues! Glad to hear that you are getting some relief from Levaquin.

This illness is new to me so please excuse all my questions! I also have horrible brain fog. You can ask me to do something and I completely understand what you just told me and within 30 seconds, I completely forget that you asked me to do anything. My husband gets annoyed with me and I believe that he thinks that I just don't listen to him anymore which is absolutely not true!! It is causing problems. I also have words in my head to answer a question or tell someone something but the words can't get out of my mouth or they are just not there at all and I stand there like a moron with a blank look on my face.

Anyway, do you all think that this problem is associated with Bartonella co-infection? I have not been tested for co-infections yet. Should I be stressing this symptom with my LLMD? Or can this just be "regular lyme symptoms"? Any advise would be appreciated!!

Thank you and blessings to all!!

Old 07-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Linnyloo
You need to be tested for the co-infections. Bartonella is tough. I don't think I have beat it yet. Was on levaquin for awhile. I'm on Ammoxicillin 1000three times a day. I started Septra yesterday, and tried again today. I refuse to take it again. Not sure what else they will put me on.
Prayers.....Marsha

Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi linnyloo.

I agree with Marsha - get tested for all the co-infections. You should definitely tell your LLMD about all your symptoms, and if you feel the brain fog is really bad, then it can't hurt to raise that issue.

Lyme itself can cause brain fog, so its impossible for me to tell what exactly is the cause.

Also, it can take a while for the brain to recover from an infection - Lyme or otherwise.

Take care and don't worry - you will feel better someday!

Closed Thread