It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User
Did anyone see the David Letterman Show last Nite...Jokes about Lyme???

Did anyone see this last night?

I know it is on late and I thought I was wide awake but now can't believe what I heard. In the intro letterman said he had on Dr Charles Westfall who wrote a book the tick-ing timebomb. He then went on to say it is the most overdiagnosed disease out there. Did I hear that right??

Well anyway I had to stay up to watch. I questioned why an author with a book on this subject would be on Letterman so really interested. The author comes out and he's acting kinda goofy and then starts showing slides with ticks on them. He says one is missing and starts running around the studio screaming "Get it off me" and runs out of the studio.

I hope someone else saw this as now I am thinking I either didn't get it or maybe I dreamed it. I couldn't get to sleep for hours cause I was so mad they would be mocking lyme disease.

I want to write a letter to cbs but what to make sure of what I saw. I googled the author and didn't find anything.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
(female)

lymesgal HB User
Re: Did anyone see the David Letterman Show last Nite...Jokes about Lyme???

Hi Lymegirl
YES--You heard it all right, it was no dream! I saw it and I was so mad! He totally made a big joke of lyme disease and saying that only 1 in 200 people get it and that its the most overdiagnosed disease--he had no clue what he was talking about. I stayed up, too, thinking this is great, someone on tv talking about lyme disease, I was excited. Then, I was SO bummed and mad, I couldn't get to sleep for a while either! I emailed the show a while ago--you should too--and I told them what I thought about the whole 'fake' tick-ing timebomb book. I was thinking, wow, another book I need to get and read. I told him it wasn't a joking matter and would they joke about ALS, AIDS, or some other disease which CAN take peoples lives? (although he probably would!) I told them that lyme disease DOES kill and that their information was so wrong. I told him in my email that if he ever got it, or his son, Harry, that he wouldn't think it was a laughing matter. I was so disappointed in DAve! And I love his show and he is funny but that wasn't a joking matter to us lymies. I would love to get an email back from the show. If enough people write in to them maybe it would help. Surely, they rec'd alot of emails about last nights show? Anyways, I totally understand how you felt, grrrrrrrr! I haven't been on this website for a while, been so busy with work, but I logged on to see if anyone was talking about last night's show and sure enough, yours was on top! I'm glad someone else besides me saw it and disapproved. Write the show lymegirl!!!
lymesgal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Holy crap! You've got to be kidding me?!?!?

Oh boy this burns my kettle! They're gonna hear from me.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I just sent them an email also.

argh!! This isn't the kind of press we need.

p.s. Kim - good to hear from you!!!

Last edited by 6Blues; 07-18-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Where are the Literatti With Lyme or people like Darryl Hall at a time like this? Someone needs to set these folks straight, it would be nice if it were a celeb or politician or someone they'd actually listen to.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

lymesgal

Thanks for responding. I'm so glad you saw it too. I was starting to doubt myself and like you said they wouldn't make fun of another disease.

6 blues

Glad you sent an e-mail too. They have alot of nerve making light of a serious health problem like lyme. Now that I know I was not hallucinating I will be sending an e-mail too. I hope they respond.

I am so disappointed in Dave.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
(female)

lymiesarah HB User

My recent email to dave:

I am writing in regards to the Lyme disease segment you recently did on your show. I am extremely upset that you would make fun of such an awful and destructive illness. Lyme disease rips families and lives apart, and gets very little media attention. People who have been suffering for years really do not need what little attention it does get to be so negative and careless. People die from Lyme and the complications that it causes and is extremely UNDER diagnosed. I suggest you get your story straight before airing such potentially harmful information.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

I just e mailed CBS too. I imagine they will get alot of complaints on this one. Just to give a little info about what I wrote....I told them how devastating my life has been for the last 10 years living with a dx of MS. How much I have lost. Then I told them the saddest part...I never really had MS. Did you feel sorry for me reading this email when you saw I had MS...did you think it was funny and worth mocking when you read I still have the same symptoms.?.?...just a different diagnosis.

I hope they get so many e mail thier computer melts down.

I feel so angry....deb

Old 07-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

"Dear C.B.S.-

I'm writing in reference to the Lyme "bit" during the Letterman show recently. I want to let you know just how horrific this disease is. I have suffered from 12 years of age to date- 35 and now I am finally getting the disease under control. It causes intense anxiety to the point where every moment of your life is an eternity, you loose your memory, you are unable to sleep- every move is exhausting. Looking back, if I had to do it again and I had a choice, I would have chosen cancer- where at least you have a diagnosis. Testing for Lyme is not reliable. Most doctors are completely unfamiliar with the disease. I have just lost my wife due to the toll it took on my entire family. My life has been destroyed.
I hope that someone in your life is not infected with a disease. I hope you are able to enjoy vacations, social events and have the energy to wash your own clothes. I hope someone close to you does not become mentally disabled, lose their job and become confined to your home while you stand by helplessly.

Absolutely- Poor taste, ignorant and I will never look at CBS in the same fashion again."

Last edited by itsmylife; 07-18-2006 at 09:05 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #10
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

I did not see the show but heard about it. I am absolutely livid that anyone would joke about Lyme Disease. I live in Detroit and the evening the Letterman piece aired it followed our local news broadcast which covered the story of a teenage boy in our area who suffered because his Lyme diagnosis was delayed. That made the Letterman thing even more of an insult!

I too am emailing CBS asap. SROCC20655

Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

Correction - the local news story on Lyme was on NBC not CBS - but still what an insult. A friend of mine saw the local news story and then switched to see Letterman and was shocked to see them making fun of Lyme. It still makes me livid

SROCC20655

Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
(female)

srocc20655 HB User
Angry Re: Did anyone see the David Letterman Show last Nite...Jokes about Lyme???

Here is my email to CBS:

I was shocked that Lyme Disease would be the butt of jokes on the David Letterman show! I have lost almost a year of my life being sick with Lyme. It took the Drs. 6 months to make the proper diagnosis because the illness is so misunderstood. That segment on the Letterman show was an absolute insult. There are many who are totally disabled from this devastating disease. Letterman owes all of us Lyme sufferers an apology!!!!!

I am really upset about this!!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #13
(female)

lymesgal HB User

Hi everyone
I'm soooo glad that you all have emailed CBS or Letterman show!! Way to go!

Lymesgal

Old 07-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #14
(female)

GiGiof2 HB User

I also am e-mailing CBS and I intend to get all my friends and family to do likewise !!!!!!!! and I WILL never watch this show again!!! TIN I agree where's Daryl??? wouldnt it be nice if he e-mailed CBS!!!!! GiGi

Old 07-20-2006, 05:30 AM   #15
(female)

GiGiof2 HB User

As an after thought I am going to write the Oprah show and ask her to bring attention to LYMES!!!!!!! GiGi

Closed Thread