It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

srocc20655 HB User
Rocephin Effectiveness

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with Lyme in June. Was on 5 weeks of Doxy - high doses from 400-600 mgs. It began to make me really nauseous so my Dr. switched me to IV Rocephin. I was beginning to feel relief from my Lyme symptoms with the Doxy but after 4 days on the Rocephin my Lyme symptoms are coming back. However, I am no longer nauseous. I only have Lyme - tested negative for co-infections.

Anyone know if you can herx all over again when your meds are changed? My LLMD does a ION footbath and liver flush IV to clean out accumulated toxins - which helps. I am having this tomorrow so maybe I will feel better.

Comments please are very much appreciated. Thanks, SROCC20655

Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Rocephin Effectiveness

Hi srocc20655. Yes, it is common to herx when meds are changed.

I am glad you were tested for the co-infections and that you don't have them. This is good news!

Do you have a PICC line? In case you did not know it, there is great product you can get so you can shower without getting the site wet. It is called a Mid-Arm Protector and you can get it at Brown Medical.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

Ticker, Thanks for the information. I do have a picc line which I don't find to be a big deal. Anything is better than the oral doxy which made me so nauseous after awhile. Thanks for the information on the picc line cover - showers are tricky right now.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

Ticker, And I too hope you feel better soon!!

SROCC20655

Old 07-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Thanks srocc20655!

The arm cover definitely works better than plastic wrap!

Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Srocc......yes I also did the Rocephin....had that picc in for 7 months...I did that and shot I can't remember the other antibiotic I did at the same time then plus flyagly...mis..spell....

I loved my picc line...it was so much easier for me to remember to do the medications...I would draw up a weeks worth of that the heprin and the other antibiotic.....and if I ever wondered hmmmm...did I do my med ...all I had to do was count them....

I hope you have a in home health nurse that comes out and takes your blood work...looks at the picc and takes you vitals...the ladies that came to see me were wonderful...IF you have a in home health nurse...well I know in the county I was living in and needed some one to talk to also...a counselor would come and talk with me once a week...and I always had their phone numbers....anyway....one thng with the picc is to ALWAYS watch for staph infection...make sure to clean it good with the alchohol and iodine...with the hot weather try to really watch it good....one of my piccs...my second one got infected the first night...so....that one was pulled....then I had a third one....
You have to really really watch for GALL BLADDER ATTACKS AND PANCREATIC ATTACKS with rocephin...I am glad your doctor is going to have you do a detox....there was another person on here that had the gallbladder problems there's a thread somewhere...been a few months back....I thnk though I had better luck on Ampicillian and shoot can't remember the second antibiotic with that one either...that combo really sent me for a tail spin...but I do belive (for me) it was more effective....
So I will stop rambbling now....

Good Luck....hope have a fast recovery.....
So how long have you been sick before being diagnoised

Last edited by jojo; 07-19-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Thinking of you. I had an IV and now on orals. I think it was easier with the ivs no stomach problems. The rocephin was hard. Ended up going off it way to early, I think I tried most of the iv meds. I hope you get over the herxing. Bu then you are killing the bacteria. So herxing is good. (Hard to say herxing is good...)
Prayers....Marsha

Old 07-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. Jojo I think I contracted Lyme last year - in early December. I believe that I got it when flying on a commercial airline with some deer hunters who had been in Northern Wisconsin. Believe it or not! I hate a big bite on my hand the day after I flew with them. Pretty strange huh?? I can' t think of anywhere else I could have gotten it. I am not very outdoorsy at all. I don't even work in the yard! My husband does it. My LLMD agrees it was a weird place to get it!

So I haven't had Lyme very long and I am noticing some substantial improvements after being on Doxy for 5 weeks and Rocephin for 1 week. I have 3 more weeks of Rocephin and hope that is all I will need.

I believe my Lyme accelerated because I had my tonsils out in March (because they didn't know how else to treat my constant sore throats) and the Dr. put me on 6 weeks of steroids - which are totally contraindicated for Lyme sufferers. We didn't know I had it until mid-May.

Thanks again everyone. SROCC20655

Closed Thread