It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Itchy and Painful Bullseye Rash??

Hi All,

Have any of you ever had an itchy and painful bullseye rash? When I first went to the doctor, they said it [I]looked like[I] a bullseye rash, but they couldn't be 100% sure. Regardless, they advised me to take an antibiotic. The next day, it became extremely hot to the touch and doubled in size, but definitely looked more like a bullseye. I keep asking if it could be cellulitis. Well, they didn't like the way it looked yesterday, saying it could be an infection or allergic reaction [I]in addition to[I] the tick bite, so they added a second antibitic. It seems to feel a bit better today, but sheesh, what a mess. Anyway, I was just wondering if it's possible to have a bullseye that is both itchy and painful.

Thanks so much,
Inq

Old 07-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Re: Itchy and Painful Bullseye Rash??

Hi,

In high school I had such a rash. Yes, it was Lyme disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Yes, it is possible. Very often the bullseye rash is itchy and painful. I think you should take pictures of that rash every day and keep a journal of how it changes, what size it is and what it feels like. Put a coin or something next to it when you take the photo so that you have a visual comparison of size.

What antibiotics are you taking? What is the dose and for how long?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I had a bullseye rash about 5 wks ago. It was warm to the touch, red, itchy, and bothersome. It is still a faint mark. It lasted a good 4 wks. Was 4" X 2". I agree that you need to document it. I took pictures every few days. That a Dr saw it is a plus. I hope you respond quickly to treatment.
Prayers...Marsha

Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Thanks all for your replies.

Sleeper -- I'm taking 21 days of doxycycline (100 mg/2x a day) and then they added ceftin (250 mg/2x a day) because they were worried about a secondary infection. I'm allergic to penicillin, cipro, and their derivatives, so I'm slightly limited as to what I can take.

Pearl -- I have taken some pictures of the rash, though I did not think to put anothe object next to it for comparison -- good idea. Unfortunately, the rash is in a difficult place -- it's on the inner thigh, right near the lower part of your bikini line, I guess you would call it. Pretty, huh?

The rash is MUCH better than it was on Saturday -- I think getting the ceftin must have really helped. However, I have this headache, almost migraine-like that I can't get rid of. I've been taking half a vicodin 2x a day for two days. I do occasionally get migraines, but not usually this long. Maybe from the antibiotics? How do you know?...I think I'll post that as a new question.

Thanks again for all your help.

Be well,
Inq

Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Yes, I have had a rash so itchy it drove me nuts.

Then, since starting the medicine, I got two of them - I can't scratch enough!

They are also sore - especially the one with a faint bulls eye. It hurts and itches at the same time.

Glad to hear you feel a bit better.

Peace and health to you.

Closed Thread