It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

mwilki HB User
Levaquin reaction and alternatives

I had a horrible reaction to Levaquin - horrible joint and muscle pain - much worse than when I have Lyme flares...We are working on Bart now - just did 2 mos of IV Zith, IV Clinda and Oral Mepron, Flagyl and Artemesian for Babesia? I read Zith kills Bart too but J clinic recommend this next in their protocol? Any ideas why and any alternatives that are effective for Bartonella?

I only had only one dose of IV Levaquin and a week later I am still in pain from it...hoping that sunsides sometime b/c it makes reading my body/symptoms from Lyme etc more dificult...Anyon else go thru this?

Old 07-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: Levaquin reaction and alternatives

That pain is the worst ever! I just got off cipro yesterday for the exact same reason. My doc gave me cipro for bartonella, cipro is in the same family as levaquin and has the same side effects listed, namely "tendon pain." I had no idea what that meant and didn't really even know where my tendons were in my body. Well for anyone who doesn't understand what it means when it says "tendon pain," it means that it feels like someone is tearing your muscles off your bones. The pain is much different from lyme pain, it's not a dull ache and its not a stabbing joint pain, it's an electric jolt type pain that makes you scream and try to run away from yourself. I was grabbing my thighs and hoping it would stop because it's scary and extremely painful.

I have been on artimisinin for bartonella and plan to increase my dose soon. I take zithromax too, I don't have any side effects from it and have been taking it for over a year. Also, FYI, for the short time that I took cipro (one week) it had no effect on my bartonella symptoms at all, so I don't feel bad about stopping it.

I won't take cipro, levaquin, tequin, or anything in that line of quinolonone type antibiotics anymore. If you find something else that works, let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
(male)

Floxed HB User

Hi, sorry to hear of your adverse reaction to Levaquin. I posted my experience with Levaquin in another thread a few weeks or so ago...terrible, terrible drug. Thought I'd share my experiences with you (and anyone else who happens to read this thread), and warn you that the side effects you are experiencing can be very long lasting (over a year and a half and counting for me; many many years for some of the other victims); also, new side effects can appear for months after you stop the drug. I'd strongly suggest researching fluoroquinolone antibiotics to gain knowledge of what's been done to you (and hundreds of thousands of other unsuspecting people).

Here's a link to a very short version of my story, although I'm not sure how to get it to work on this site (I guess it's copy/paste only):
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=2398424#post2398424[/url]

Please take care.

Last edited by Floxed; 07-24-2006 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Typo and trying to fix link.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi mwilki.

I am currently taking Levaquin, 750mg per day, orally.

I have to admit that I love it. I have severe pain but its muscluar - not tendon. I began taking it about a month and a half ago to see if I had Bartonella and boy do I have it!

I've broken out twice in rashes since then and I have pain like the dickens. My feet and legs mostly. Prior to this I was fighting the Lyme with Doxy only. I feel the Levaquin in helping me tremendously.

My mind is much more clear now than before the Levaquin.

I am always on the lookout for a change in the pain. If it becomes tendon pain - I will stop immediately.

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience! It stinks bad enough to have to fight this stupid disease without having the complication of a medicine messing your poor body.

Thats too bad you had to find out the hard way that Levaquin is not for you.

Hang in there and I hope it subsides quickly.

I think I heard that Doxy can be effective against Bartonella, not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

There are other classes of antibiotics out there and a whole bunch of natural stuff to try --- so don't give up hope!

Peace and health to you.

Closed Thread