It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

sfabiano HB User
Quest Lab to do western blot test - good enough?

Hi everyone,

I finally convinced the nurses/doctor to get my daughter a western blot test through Igenex. The only problem is that they don't draw blood at the office and said I had to do it at a lab. I called Igenex and asked about who could do it and they said that they get stuff from Quest and Labcorp alot. I called Quest for the area and they said that if they can test it, they don't send it out.

So finally,my question is, is it worth trying to get the test done with Quest or should I find another doctor who can get the blood drawn and sent to Igenex. I'm concerned that her pediatrician might also not read the results accurately (from what I read from another post, might follow the CDC guidelines).

Please let me know if anyone has had correct test results back from Quest and/of if I should go straight to Igenex.

Lastly, I asked Igenex if she needs to be off antibiotics when the test is done and they said "no". Is that true? From what I read in a few posts, she should be off of it. Just an fyi, for those that don't know me/her, she was bitten a tick around the 2nd week of June and has some symptoms (swollen at bite, swollen lymph node on neck under bite, mentioned chest pain two times around when lymph node swelled and she's been quite aggresive lately, which I think might be due to possible lyme).

Thanks for all the help!

...Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Quest Lab to do western blot test - good enough?

Don't waste your money nor time going through Quest...Stick to Igenex...if any of them will come out positive that will be the best Lab to go through....Mine never came back positive with any of them, showed bands but never a full positive according to the CDC....

BUT after about 10 years and having a picc line removed I finally showed a positive through a hospital lab....just never know....

Good Luck!

BIG P.S.....MAKE SURE TO GO ON SYMPTOMS ANYWAY NO MATTER WHAT THE TEST SAY....SWOLLEN LYMPHS ARE NOT A GOOD SIGN...NOR THE CHANGE IN PERSONALITY......

Last edited by jojo; 07-29-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Sandra. I agree, do not get tested through Quest. IgeneX uses more sensitive testing and lists more bands on the Western Blot. If you want to post her results, we can give you the breakdown of the bands.

Some doctors want patients on antibiotics for testing, some do not. It is good you are following up on this. Is she still on antibiotics?

Old 07-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

What about doing Bowen? You just have it drawn at any lab and send it yourself to Bowen. The test comes back as either positive or negative AND you get a picture of your (daughters) blood and the Lyme (if present).

Good luck!

Cindy

Old 07-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Don't waste your time with quest. Go to igenex. They're the best. But as the others said, you may have lyme and not show it on the test results. Mine from igenex were all indeterminate. But I did test positive for the Co-infections Babesia, Mycoplasma, Bartonella. Are you having testing done for the Co's? If not, you need to consider it.

Prayers....Marsha

Old 07-30-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
(female)

dianneom HB User

Quest will draw your blood (did it for me). I had to wait for them to spin the blood. I took it home, keeping it cold until FedEx came to pick it up. The charge was $25.
IgeneX sent me the kit with good instrucions on how to send. Quest will not send it out for you.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

sfabiano HB User

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the great advice.

Julia is on the Ceftin - 21 days, although it seems like the pharmacy may have given her more

I asked Igenex about testing for coinfections, and they said that they usually do that after the lyme testing. Any recommendations for doing it all in one shot?

I will definitely go with Igenex, unfortunately, I may have to go with another doctor to get her blood drawn. Too bad - I finally convinced her pediatrician to go with Igenex but they can't draw blood - strange.

I've ordered the kit and made an appt with Dr. Sharp in Ft. Worth who said they were contracted with Quest but said they can send it to Igenex (I hope that's the case).

Her lymph node is still swollen and bite spot still sensitive and raised. I think she's over-emotional (although it's hard to tell with a nine-year old...).

Thanks again,
Sandra

Old 07-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
(female)

sfabiano HB User

Thanks Dianneom,

I just called Quest, explaining what was done for you and the cost, and they said that they used to do that but don't do it anymore.

I'm trying to call Labcorp. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Sandra

Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Sandra.

Worse comes to worse, you can take the Igenex test kit and take it to a walk-in medical center and ask them to do it. Mail the blood to Igenex and then submit the cost to your insurance.

A hospital will also do this. You may have to pay up front.

good luck.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
(female)

sfabiano HB User

Great advice. I actually got a hold of Labcorp and they will do it for about $30 or so. Thank-goodness. Jumped over another hurdle.

Closed Thread