It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Alake27 HB User
Possibly Lyme's or what?

Hi all! I have been reading some of the posting these past few days and have been wondering if Lymes could be the possible reason for all the problems I have been having. My mother and some of my friends have told me that its probably just my nerves, I feel like I am just about to lose my mind. I have even so much as had an HIV test, syphilis, ana antibody for lupus, and esr tests done trying to find out what is going on with me all of those tests came back negative.
Here are some of the things I have been experiencing since April:

terrible headaches
insect looking bites on my arm
a brown slightly itchy rash in the crease of my forearm
a red blotch on my left ankle along horrible pain so bad I could barely walk
flu symptoms
an occasional feeling as though there is something caught in my throat to the point it feels like I am choking
horrible joint pain mainly in my fingers, wrist, toes and ankles, occasionally in my hip and upper arm
muscle pain
pain on top of feet and hands
blurry vision
floaters
my TMJ creaks everytime I open my mouth
hair loss
sometimes when I walk my right leg seems to not want to make the step, causing me to almost trip and I have gotten a little clumsy
my cheek feels like it is sligtly been pulled back
muscle twitching and some jerking
constipated to the point where I have to take stool softeners
bladder seems to need emptying more than usual
ringing in the ear
memory is short
That is just a few of the things strange things that have been happening to me. I am going to the dr. tomorrow to see whats next on the testing list, but before I go I just wanted to know if it is possible that this could Lyme or what?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Re: Possibly Lyme's or what?

Hi Tlake,

Welcome to the board, though sorry you are ill.

Many of your symptoms certainly could be caused by Lyme disease. You do not have to have a "bullseye" rash to have Lyme, many people with Lyme never have a rash at all. Also, many of them do not recall a tick bite. It is very important to find a doctor who is knowlegable about Lyme disease to evaluate you. Many doctors, unfortunately, still have a lot to learn about Lyme and treat with outdated protocols and diagnostic methods.

I strongly recommend a book by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner, 'Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Diseases'. I found it extremely informative and helpful in dealing with this often confusing situation. You may want to contact the Lyme Disease Association as well and also look for a Lyme support group in your area. You do not need to have a diagnosis of Lyme to do this, many Lyme patients have a hard time being diagnosed and if you just explain to them that you suspect you may have Lyme they can offer support and advice.

In addition to Lyme ticks carry several other diseases and many Lyme patients have one or more of these co-infections. It is important to test and treat for these. I myself had not only Lyme, but also Babesiosis, Bartonella, and mycoplasma. Treating these is very important to recovery.

Important to remember: there is NO test that can absolutely rule out Lyme. The most commonly performed test, the ELISA, misses up to 60% or more of active cases and the more accurate test, the Western Blot, is still not completely accurate. This is why the CDC states that Lyme is to be a CLINICAL (symptom based) dignosis with the test used to help confirm. The best testing is a Western Blot through Igenex Labs in Palo Alto, California, but again, this is not definitive.

Below are a list of Lyme symptoms, courtesy of Ticker, on of our board members. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 07-31-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Closed Thread