It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

lymiesarah HB User
my lyme and weight... please help

my lyme affects my weight a lot... either my metabolism is working so fast that i lose like thirty pounds in one month, or it is so slow that even if i barely eat anything i am an enormously high weight and it just stays there no matter what i do. i made an app to talk to the doc about it and see if there is any drug i can take to speed up my metabolism, but do you guys know of any? I REALLY hate feeling so bad about myself... i don't even like looking in the mirror because i hate the way i look and there is nothing i can do about it. are there any drugs that can speed up someones metabolism ? i don't need my appetite curbed because i barely have one as it is. PLEASE HELP ME!

Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: my lyme and weight... please help

Hi lymiesarah. You sound like you're at your wits end.

I gained 50 lbs and its not coming off. Not even on my good days when I can walk around does it make any difference in my weight.

I guess I will have to wait until I fully recover until I start the battle of the bulge.

I also don't look in mirrors. I rarely take a detox bath but when I do I hate having to take off my sweats because there I am in all my glory and I hate it.

I wear frumpy clothes 'cuz I don't want to draw any attention to myself.

Mine weight gain is here but it stays here. Mine doesn't go and up down.

Your troubles sounds so hard to live with! I am so sorry to hear that you gain and lose so much! How unnerving that must be.

Have you been tested for your metabolic panel (thyroid and such)? I know there's a few enzymes that Lyme can mess with, free T3 or something?

I know Ticker has explained what to be tested for. There are medicines that can help you.

Also, just a thought here, have you had your blood sugar tested as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

lymiesarah HB User

hi there, thank you so much for responding... i test my blood sugar many times a day because i have diabetes, and it is well controlled. i never knew there were tests for metabolism, but now that i know i will tell my doc... i am happy to hear that there are medicines i can try because i am tired of waiting and waiting for the lyme to change so the weight will finally come off.. i want to figure out how to fix it now... i dont like feeling so bad about myself... i know there are worse things that lyme does to a person, but every thing has its own emotional affect ...

thanks again.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Oh BOY DO I EVER UNDERSTAND THIS ONE...and I am so sorry that you have had to go through this too...the WEIGHT GAIN...it is a nightmare....the whole time I was sick I was down to like 110 to 100 pounds...I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD GAIN WEIGHT AGAIN!!! Last September a doctor put me on 100 mg. of amitriptline...don't remember how to spell it....and within about a month and a half I PUT ON 50 POUNDS All of my pretty clothes ...fun clothes ....no longer fit...I have just about given them allllllll away...I have tried this last year to watch what I eat...and it just won't come off...I turned 51 in June and the last doctor I saw says to me....WELL JUST LOOK AROUND ALL THE WOMEN YOUR AGE LOOK LIKE YOU So not only have I gained TONS of weight....NOW I WALK AROUND CHECKING EVERY FEMALE OUT THERE IS Now that one feels really weird....

We don't have alot of money for me to go and buy new clothes so I wear the same few pairs of shorts and tops...over and over and over again....LOL...but I have made some young SKINNY girls happy

So my heart goes out to you both also....had a picture taken of me the other day and it was given to me today....oh man I am sooooooo grossssss ....

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Lyme definitely put an extra 50 on me. But I have lost 20 in the last few months without trying. I don't know if its the lyme, meds or what. My taste for sweets is pretty much gone. Don't give up girls. I have found lyme can take it off as fast as it puts it on. I just hope it don't turn back around.
Prayers....Marsha

Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

I understand the weight gains all to well. I gaines 50 pounds about 3 years ago and have not been able to get them off. I am 5'3" and weigh 207!! I absolutely hate myself. I hate galncing at myself in a mirror. I am going to have hormone testing done next month to see if my numbers are out of whack causing some of the gain. I just want to lose weight like a normal person.

Did you have your thyroid levels done? If you do, ask to have your TSH, free T3 and free T4. If your doctor just does your TSH you won't get an accurate reading. In my ase, I hd my thyroid removed because I was hyperthyroid and no amount of medication wuld alter my numbers. I now know that I was hyperthyroid BECAUSE of the lyme and I didnt need to have the surgery. We didn't know this though. Even now that I am on thyroid replacement my free T3 and free T4 is screwy.

Let's all keep sharing our weight struggles with each other. It really helps me to talk to other people in this situation.

HUGS!!

Cindy

Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I definitely recommend having all your hormone panels done, including adrenal, thyroid and pituitary. Mine were so screwed up it's not even funny, but now that I got my readings done and got on the necessary supplements, my weight is back to normal.

Unfortunately, I have to take thyroid pills, iodine, and adrenal supplements and frozen bovine pituitary pills, and pregnenolone, DHEA, and even testosterone just to keep the levels right.

It's nuts! The things we have to do just to un-do what lyme does to us!!

Closed Thread