Do you have Lyme? When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.
The closest Lyme doctor to IL that I know of is Dr. Charles Crist in Springfield, MO. I hope you can see a knowledgeable doctor soon. Keep us posted okay?
Hi Nobby and Welcome
When it comes to lyme, my advice is don't waste your time with anyone that is not a LLMD. Most of us on here have had lyme for years because of those Drs that think they know everything. They want to lable you with something that is within their speciality. I don't think it is so important what the doctors speciality is as long as he is lyme knowledgable.
Infectious disease doctors are not necessaily lyme literate (LL). I am going to one though that is both Infectious disease and LL. The right Dr makes the difference.
Please give us a little info on yourself. And Ticker gives excellent advice.
Hello and welcome. I got my wonderful LLMD off the Lyme Disease Association website. www/lymediseaseassociation.org
Good luck and I went undiagnosed for almost 6 months before finding the right Dr. I even saw an infectious disease Dr. - who told me I DID NOT HAVE LYME!
When I tested positive I sent my Western Blot to all the Drs. that misdiagnosed me. Imagine - none of them ever responded back to me!!
That gives you an idea of what it is like to go to a regular dr. about Lyme.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Also, make sure your Western Blot test is sent to Igenex Lab in California!
thanks ticker....myself and my 3 yr. old daughter tested positive about 3 months ago....we were both treated with antibiotics but inadequately i am afraid...i still have tingling in my hands and feet along with some other symptoms. My daughter being three cannot tell me much. We were not tested for co-infections, but i am waiting for a call from the nurse (doc and nurse are out until friday) and I am going to request this. I am not sure what lab they use but i will ask. i dont want to wait any longer if my doctor will not step up then i will attempt a trip to MO....hard to do widowed mom 2 kids and both about to start school....but i will do what has to be done....thank you so much for your advice and knowledge. I have been doing tons of research and i am determined to convince my doctor, upon his return, to treat us aggressively....wish me luck!
pearlscale and srocc....thank you both so much for advice and support...i will let you all know what happens next...i have tried to get info from lymediseaseassociation but they never sent me e-mail back....i wish you both well and thank you for posting i need all the knowledge and support i can get i am so scared....
please try not to worry. lyme is curable and you caught it early - and that is good!
apologies if you mentioned this before and i can't remember (my memory is like swiss cheese) but were you both tested for co-infections?
also, if you get more antibiotics, you may want to take a high quality probiotic to replace the "good" intestinal bacteria that the antibiotics kill. The good brands of the probiotic can be found in any health food store and have to be refrigerated.
Hi nobby007. I am sorry you and your daughter have Lyme. How long were you treated and with which antbiotics? If you still have symptoms, you need further treatment.
I am so very sorry you are widowed. I cannot imagine how difficult this is, especially being sick and having two small children. My heart goes out to you.
I believe the doctor in MO can spread out appointments some for those who travel to see him. I am not sure if he treats children, but I think he does. If he does not, Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT is the best Lyme pediatrician. Maybe Dr. Crist or your daughter's pediatrician can consult with him about the proper treatment.
Good luck, do not give up! Keep us posted on how you are doing okay?