It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

sfabiano HB User
How early should one get tested for Lyme

Okay, this is crazy. I wrote about my daughter being bitten by a tick when she went to camp, and we're going to get her tested. A few days ago, my husband got bitten by what he thought was a flea or chigger probably around our house. Then he showed me his rash and it looked like one of those erythema migrans that I've seen (not bull's eye but just a very red patch). The thing is that we don't live near deer or near highly forested areas. There are many rabbits around and some coyotes, but that's it. My first question is, is it possible to get bitten by a tick pretty much in the city? Secondly, how early can one get tested with the western blot - I think I remember reading a few weeks.

Thanks again!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User
Re: How early should one get tested for Lyme

I believe my first infection was from a black fly. Mosquitos, black flies, fleas, and ticks can carry the bacteria. Cases are showing up like mine that were not tick related. But lyme do not have boundaries. They can get to you by rabbits, coyetes, dogs, cats, birds. (just to name a few.)

The lyme rash does not have to be bullseye to be lyme. Take photos, place a coin near the rash and I also placed a paper with the date on it. Document how it looks. If a doctor knowledgable in lyme sees the rash he can determine if it is the lyme rash.

I recently was reinfected with lyme. I had a sold red rash that was slightly raised and itchy. It was 4" X 2". You could faintly see a bullseye. My LLMD told me that the rash has to be a certain size and be on you for usually a couple weeks. Mine was 4 wks and even now after about 8 has a very faint red color where it was. The rash alone is enough for a knowledgable doctor to diagnose lyme without the blood test. The form that they filled out on me for the CDC did not even have a place to show if a test had been done and the results.

Hope this helps. It is scary to think your daughter but now the possibility of your husband???? Please let us know how both are doing.

Prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 08-01-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Lyme infections have occured in urban areas. This has been documented. I'm not sure of the explanation, but birds carry ticks so that may be a factor, also rats which are in any city. Also, it is the white footed mice that actually carry the disease and they are present even in urban settings.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi!

I also have no deer around my house. I do have pigeons, squirells, cats, moles, rabbits, and lots of birds.

I used to have a ton of Ivy all around my house which I ripped out. I have since learned that dark, damp places like that are tick heaven.

I also found out that ticks can live on just about animal that has skin and blood.

I was mowing my lawn last year and a tick fell out of a tree and landed on my shoulder - no lie! I freaked.

I have since gotten my trees removed.

Anyway - my point is that you can get bitten by a deer tick anywhere. Not just in the woods.

Closed Thread