It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

hurt and angry HB User
Children In My Town Diagnosed With Lyme!!

Hi All

I know I don't visit much anymore but please believe me when I say that I do think of all of you quite often. My life now, without a Husband living with me, is soooo crazy and chaotic.

Anyway, I have been hearing some very disturbing news in the past month. It started off with my neighbor coming over to tell me that his youngest boy, age 11, was in the hospital and had been for 5 days. Well...he came home with a pic line and lyme disease. Lets hope it was caught in time. Then I was told by one of the other Moms in town that 4 other boys that play Spring baseball with my son have all been diagnosed with it. She also said that her brother-in-law and nephew also now have lyme.

So, I called the Town Nurse to ask for the actual number of recorded lyme cases and let me tell you.....she came down with one heck of an attitude. After assuring her I wasn't writing an article or anything, she finally told me that there were at least 8 reported cases just these past 2 months. I told her that I found that disturbing and why hasn't the public been told. An article in the monthly town paper wouldn't hurt would it? She actually had the nerve to say that that wasn't necessary, and that the general public is knowledgable about Lyme. I got so mad I hung up on her.

Most of the general public only knows to "watch for a bullseye rash"!!!! Half of them won't even get one, just like me. Then it will be too late.

For you lymies who live in California I am feeling the heat with you this past week. New England is usually very bearable in the Summer but I have decided I like Winter again.

Thanks for letting me vent about ignorant Town Nurses with attitude!

Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User
Re: Children In My Town Diagnosed With Lyme!!

Wendy

My son's school nurse told me she heard all about Igenex and how they don't have any negative results. She was at a meeting with other school nurses given by an ID Dr who told them all everyone is getting worked up about lyme and it is totally overdiagnosed.

I can't believe these Dr are not only ignorant about lyme but are conciously working to make the public believe that lyme is insignificant.

Kim

PS- How is Maureen doing?

Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
(female)

hurt and angry HB User

Hi Kim,

Do you ever get the feeling that they aren't ignorant but act like they don't know enought about lyme? I almost feel sometimes that deep down, they don't know what to do for the patient so they brush the whole Lyme thing off and make you feel stupid. All I know is that my Dr. lives in the same town as me and her house is surrounded by woods. Her children are 5 and 3 and will probably pick up a tick or two in their lifetime. I hope not for their sake.

As to Maureen, I can honestly say that I have not heard from Marla or Ronnie. I did try calling Maureen's house a few times but there wasn't any answer. Actually, I just remembered that I have her e-mail address so I will send a quick message. If she is still in re-hab, maybe there is a computer that the patients can use.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.....

Wendy

Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I'd love to hear from Maureen too. I think of her often. I Pray she is greatly improving.

And lyme ignorance is everywhere. Doctors don't want to hear lyme. I also think between insurance,the DCD, and Medical Boards, Doctors are scared. They see what is happening to doctors in other areas. My LLMD was recently brought before the Medical board and given conditions he must meet to treat. He is limited to 60 days oral and 60 days ivs. I think with the drug free holidays between the treatment 60 days should turn into 120. Or more, If he is pulsing the orals or ivs. One exception in treating past the 60 days is the patient is part of a study.. I will gladly join any study that may help bring more focus on lyme.

I hope with more and more IMPORTANT people being diagnosed it will bring lyme into the public eye.
Prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 08-04-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Closed Thread