It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Babesiosis Symptoms during Treatment

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with a worsening of Babesiosis symptoms during treatment? The night sweats and headaches have stopped, thank God. But the heart arrythmia has returned (could be the Lyme) and the shortness of breath seems worse. I thought the herx reaction was exclusive to spirochetes, but I'm not sure. This is so maddening, I can't tell if it's dying off or if I'm getting worse.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Babesiosis Symptoms during Treatment

Hi TINUVIEL. You can definitely herx on the Babs meds. It sounds like that is what you are experiencing to me. I know it is not fun, but it sounds like the meds are working.

It is good that some of your other Babs symptoms are gone. You seem to be on the right track. I hope the herx passes soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ticker For This Useful Post:
Dannii88 (08-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

My bottle of artiminisin (which is for babesiosis) says that you have have the herx type symptoms. I too hope they pass soon. Prayers...Marsha

Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

My Babs symptoms (didn't know it was babs then as was negative) of night sweats and sleep disturbances went away in the beginning of treatment for lyme. When LLMD thought maybe babs and started arteminisim those symptoms came back. Then I started Mepron and now have shortness of breath, like I can't finish a sentance without taking a breath and I can't yell because not enough air.

I know what you mean about not knowing if they are dying off or I'm just getting worse.

What other disease/infection/condition when treated gets worse before better? That is what is so crazy about this.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Lymegirl
Are you tapering the babesiosis treatment. Slowing increasing. That was what my doctor advised. 1 twice a day then 2 twice a day then 3 twice a day. Possible 4 twice a day.

I did 2 rounds of mepron 3 wk treatment. But was told that was not long enought. I still run low grade fevers. Some days I'm cold some days hot.

Lymegirl hand in there. yOu will get thru this. Have Faith
Prayers.....Marsha

Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Marsha,

What brand of Artemisinin are you using? Did it say anything else about Babesiosis? The brand I use is very effective but there's no information at all on the bottle except ingredients.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Thanks Marsha

I have been taking the art for afew months now. I take 1 3x a day. Sometimes its 2 a day as getting 3 in on an empty stomach and the spacing with abx.... well you know. The mepron is 3x a day and I have been on this afew months also. My LLMD said 4-6 months treatment for babs. Is that what you have heard also?

Tinuviel

What brand do you use? My LLMD recommends ARG brand which I have been taking but I find is much more expensive than other brands. I asked her about this and she says she thinks it is a superior brand.

Hope you all have a good weekend

Old 08-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi everybody! i dont know much about babeosis, but afyter 5 month of doxy, my anxiety isreturning, is that normal? and some leg pain again since last week..i also dont have low grade fevers for 2 and a half months, tha maximun i have now is 99, how high is your temperature marsha? hugs

Old 08-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Tin, Lymegirl, and Brid
Nutricology is what my LLMD suggested. Also I have completed 2 3wk treatments of mepron. I took it twice a day. I was told that was not enough. I was also told it is about as hard to get the babesia as the lyme. The babesia can only be killed in a certain dividing stage. It is hard to know for sure when you get it all. I know I will resume the mepron again just not sure when. I am off Art at present too.

I still run a low grade fever which is usually 99.2 to 99.4. LLMD says the fever indicates I haven't won the babesia battle yet. Based on what Ticker has told me, it takes closer to 9-12 months. (or more)

My bottle of Art has a caution: Part of which is: Detoxification reactions may be experienced by some individuals. So you can have the herx from killing the Babesia just like a lyme herx. I had some pretty bad ones.

Hope all of you are seeing improvement in this WAR. The last several weeks have been better for me. I think I have won a few battles and on the way to winning the lyme War. And we all know it is a war the bacteria fight in our body.

I have noticed that as I am further in treatment and feel improvement, my desire for sugar is less. I wonder if that is because I have a lighter lyme load feeding on the sugar. Do you think you crave sugar and is it the lyme that is causing that craving? I really think it is with me. Since my cravings have lessened I have actutally been losing weight. About 23 pounds in the last several months. Yeah... I have dropped a couple sizes. But then again with lyme I had gained close to 40.

And I have actutally been able to run our little part time water garden business with no help the last several days. Which was impossible 3 months ago.

Prayers....Marsha

Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Lymegirl- I am also taking ARG. I've had very good results with it so no plans on switching. I just wish I had some more information.

Pearlscale- I'll ask about Nutricology. I really do well on Mepron, that's when I've noticed the most improvement. But I only take it twice a day, I hope that is enough. But holy crap, it's expensive! I have no rx coverage and that gets to add up when you have to keep taking it.

Good to know about the detox reaction to Babs. When I first started taking it, within a couple days I had this HORRIFIC migraine. I'd never had a migraine before and I didn't really have any idea what one was like, so I didn't know what was happening. Seriously, I thought I was dying! Pulsing lights, vomiting like the thing from the exorcist, horrendous headache... But it subsided and never happened again and I really think it was the Babs.

As for Bb making you crave sugar, I never used to believe things like that were possible but now the more I observe I have to say that I think it is probable.

I was just reading about some research about certain organisms that release toxins which affect the brain of their hosts. This in turn alters the behavior of their hosts in ways that ensure the invading organisms survival.

The lancet fluke Dicrocoelium dendriticum, for example, forces its ant host to clamp itself to the tip of grass blades, where a grazing mammal might eat it. It's in the fluke's interest to get eaten, because only by getting into the gut of a sheep or some other grazer can it complete its life cycle. Another fluke, Euhaplorchis californiensis, causes infected fish to shimmy and jump, greatly increasing the chance that wading birds will grab them.

Toxoplasma gondii, a single-celled parasite which lives in the guts of cats, sheds eggs that can be picked up by rats and other animals that are often eaten by cats. Toxoplasma forms cysts throughout its intermediate host's body, including the brain. And yet a Toxoplasma-ridden rat is otherwise perfectly healthy. That makes good sense for the parasite, since a cat would not be particularly interested in eating a dead rat. But scientists at Oxford discovered that the parasite changes the rats in a striking way.

In the study conducted, it was well documented that a healthy rat has an aversion to the scent of cat urine and not surprisingly will avoid any area where cat urine is present. The odor of a cat triggers a sudden shift in the chemistry of rat brains that brings on intense anxiety. This would help to ensure their survival.

Toxoplasma infected rats, on the other hand, while appearing perfectly healthy otherwise, differ in this. The infected rats, when tested, were found to exhibit NO ANXIETY WHATSOEVER in reaction to the scent of cat urine and would continue whatever activities they were engaged in oblivious to the warning signs of the presence of a cat. This would then increase the likelihood of the rats' being eaten by a cat and subsequently the transfer of the toxoplasma organisms to their habitat of choice: the intestinal tract of a cat.

The scientists speculated that Toxoplasma was secreted some substance that was altering the patterns of brain activity in the rats. This manipulation likely evolved through natural selection, since parasites that were more likely to end up in cats would leave more offpsring.

So if other organisms can behave in this way, it would not seem unreasonable at all to speculate that Bb could do likewise.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

I totally believe the bacteria can make you crave what they need most , like sugar and carbs, to thrive and multiply. If they can regulate your body temp to where they want it then I think they can cause cravings too.

Tinuviel if you don't have insurance why don't you call the drug co that makes mepron and ask about a patient assistance program. I think all the drug co have them. I have heard of others getting their drugs for free or very low cost.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

ew, Tinuviel, I'm so freaked out now!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I think if we fully understood BB we would be scared to death and on the other hand if we fully understood we'd have a cure. Any bacteria that can cloak itself, hide itself, form cyst, etc.... well we have to wonder what we don't know about it. As with Bab I think it is equally "smart". If it lives off the red blood cells and can only be killed in a certain phase, ????.

Cancer hasn't found a cure. MS hasn't, HIV hasn't. My LLMD said when I first started seeing him we were 10 years behind the knowledge now known on Aids. Having lyme really scares me.

Today hasn't been an easy day. Spent some time with my Aunt. That explains my negative attitude.

I need to view the cup half full...... I am doing better. Have alot to be thankful for...

Prayers...Marsha

Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi marsha! happy to hear you are feeling good! thas really good news... i had like you, the low grade fevers for a 9 months, mine was up to 99.6 sometimes, but usually 99.5, 99.4.... i am almost 3 months free of those tempratures..dont know if is the doxy, the removed of my bartholin cyst or what..hard to tell........do you take your temperature in your mouth? keep getting better!!!! hugs

Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Quote:
I have heard of others getting their drugs for free or very low cost.
Yes they do all have programs, but unfortunately you have to qualify. I did not qualify for many of them, however not qualifying does not mean you are in a position to be able to pay for them either. Which means a lot of people "fall through the cracks".

Quote:
ew, Tinuviel, I'm so freaked out now!
Makes you wonder what else is out there that they haven't yet identified. The research is highly contraversial and disputed by other scientists, but it is intriguing nonetheless and it dosen't seem particularly outlandish.

Closed Thread