It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User
Very bad cat bite, need advice

I was feeding my daughters cat today while they are on vacation. The cat decided to attack my leg as I was leaving. Not sure why. But, I have 4 very nasty teeth marks. Each drew blood and went deep. The cat is up to date on shots but I am worried about bacteria. Will call my LLMD tomorrow. But what would you guys suggest. I am in day 10 of a drug holiday. I am to restart abx on Monday. Have been using neosporin about every 2 hours. I am afraid my immune system is not back to normal. Should I go ahead and start back on meds until they call me. They usually take 24 hrs to call back.
Prayers...Marsha

Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Very bad cat bite, need advice

Oh Marsha - sorry to hear about this! Sounds painful.

I wouldn't worry too much. Bactine or neosporin do contain antibacterial agents (so does good 'ol soap and water). Try not to keep the wounds moist or a scab won't start.

Good idea about calling the LLMD - they'll have sound advice I'm sure.

Try not to worry. I think the same thing about my immune system. We'll all be fine in the end I'm sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Pearl wow what a crazy thing to happen...silly cat....I know when I was VERY sick and 2 different times had gotten scratched and bit by cats....IT KNOCKED ME DOWN...but I was like that when I was younger too....good old Cat Scratch Fever.....then when I was on a picc line I had reached down to pet this friendly dog... and the silly boy bit me in the face....I had to have stitches on that....and it knocked me down....
So I am thinking it most likely depends on how you are feeling.....if you come down with a fever and more aches and pains...which I know you wonder how could that be possible...I would take some antibiotics...
I know we all Love our kitties but we have to remember that they lick themselves and cover up their poops with their feet...sooooooo....BACTERIA!! aHHHHHH.......
Isn't Bartonella Cat Scratch Fever?

Hmmm...maybe you should just shove the kitties food through an open window.....LOL........

Hope you are doing alright............
Hugs....

Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
(female)

Exdancer HB User

I do alot of animal resuces, meaning I trap, and foster, stray and feral cats. So I have to deal with lots of bites and scratches! Learned from personal experience, that if you go to the Dr. they have to fill out some form and DHEC comes to visit even if its a pet lol. All I do is peroxide it and take an antibiotic and besides it kinda red and sore its not usually to bad. Just watch it close. I know that hurts!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

A friend of mine is a farmer and he and his girlfriend have both had their share of animal bites. Both of them swear by soaking it in hot salt water (I'm not sure how you'd do that if you were bit on the leg - maybe compresses?) several times a day. She had a really nasty bite all the way through her thumbnail and the salt water really helped.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Went to my doctor. Based on the bite, I was put on augmentin for 10 days. Since the cat was an indoor cat with all current shots, no forms were filled out. I was to told to watch it and if it gets worse to come back. She said she was glad I had not waited a day or two, a cat bite is automatic antibotics. There was 4 puncture wounds and there was two much trama around the sight to tell if infection was starting.

Prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 08-09-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

Hi Marsha,

Sorry to hear about the cat.

But I have been bitten many times, by cats, dogs, birds, snakes, Moray eels, parrots, a shark, and on and on... I had a pet store at one time.

But I never had a reaction to any type of bits, and many of them have happened during my treatment with Lyme.

The worst bite I ever had was from a mosquitoe, put me in the hospital with a flesh eating bacteria. But I think your cat bite will be just fine. Keep it clean and watch it close for reactions.

But I do know that cats that attack will do it again in most cases. This cat is dangerous and should not ever be trusted with people again.

It only takes a second to have an eye damaged. I would put the cat down, and I am a true animal lover. But I have seen a few cats do this. And one even attacked its owner while sleeping biting his nose and doing much damage.

I mentioned to him to put that cat down, due to it had attacked me, and my wife over a 6-month time period. He didn't hurt my wife and I bad. I was bit on the face my wife on the back of the leg.

When it attacked my friend in his sleep, he the next day had the cat put to sleep. He was lucky he only has a scar on his nose, it could have been much worse it was a burtal attack on him while sleeping.

Hope you heal fast and feel great.

Mike

Last edited by dealer1111; 08-09-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
(female)

dianneom HB User

The cat is lonely. Even nice cats will bite after being alone for a number of days. The cat does not know why it's family is gone and wants things back to normal.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Marsha. I am sorry you were bitten. Dianneom is probably right that the cat is scared.

I am glad you called the doctor and that you were given an antibiotic.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Thanks guys.
I am glad I saw the Dr (at my PC Dr) this morning and was put on antibotics. The bite is hot, red and one puncture mark is starting to ooze. I also had a Tetinus. Couldn't find it in the records. So wasn't sure how long it had been. I think I will try to call the Jemsek Clinic again tomorrow. Tried late yesterday, but couldn't get through. Was put on hold. Tried later and they had closed.

I just hope this med kicks in soon. I fear the bacteria has a head start.

And on top of that I have a very sore spot on the scalp again. And keep having the feeling that something is crawling on me.

Also when Larry went over to feed the cat this afternoon, the cat kept a low growl and kept wanting to edge toward his leg. My daughter said that the cat has never growled or bit in anything but a playful manner. But I do worry now that it could do this to one of them. Especially my 5 yr old granddaughter who is always wanting to play with it. I couldn't make myself go back over there. Not sure if I will tomorrow. I do feel it is threatened and scared, but what if it decides to do this to one of them.

My daughter actually couldn't believe I had a bite bad enough to go to the dr. She doesn't understand this wasn't just a nip, it was a vicious bite.

Prayers....Marsha

Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi Marsha,

Hard to say what to do about meds, I'd be inclined to say wait for them to call you back with instructions, if it's only 24 hours. I know that 24 hours can seem like eternity when you don't know what's going on, but I wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference with the Lyme. And if you're on the Augmentin in the meantime that should take care of the bite itself.

I agree that it sounds like the cat was frightened, that is usually the only thing that makes an animal behave like that. I had a cat do that to me once when I tried to leave, like it was trying to keep me from leaving. From what I could perceive, it didn't want me to go because no one else ever paid attention to it, and all pets do need companionship just like people. It may be that his routine has been disrupted and he dosen't understand what's going on and is scared.

Closed Thread