It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

sfabiano HB User
Bump from bite is getting bigger again (still on Ceftin)

Hi again,

The doctor should be getting the test results from Igenex by late next week. In the meantime, with my daughter still on Ceftin twice a day, the bump where she was bitten is starting to get bigger again and her lymph node is still swollen. She still has until August 20th or so to complete the 30 days on the antibiotics.

Is it normal for it to get enlarged again? Do you think we should change antibiotic or complete the 30 day treatment? She originally was given half the required dosage of doxycycline for a few days when I realized that it was incorrect. For just a day, she got on the regular dose, but I then changed to Ceftin based on what Dr. Jones' office said they give to kids (I also wanted her to be allowed outside during her summer vacation). It seemed to have gotten definitely better with the doxy and I'm thinking of having her get back on it (especially if the tests come back positive). I'm also worried that her being on the wrong dosage of the doxy may have made things worse. The other problem is that when she went to camp, the nurse who gave her the medicine, didn't use the syringe I provided to give her the correct dosage, but instead used regular cutlery teaspoons - I think she wasn't given enough, because the medicine bottle lasted longer than the ones we have. What a bummer.

So I guess my question is, is this normal and should I just wait for the test results before I switch antibiotics?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User
Re: Bump from bite is getting bigger again (still on Ceftin)

Dr Jones is the childrens lyme expert. I would listen to what he says. If your daughter was not given proper dosage at camp, I would think it would affect the lyme. But you cannot change that now. Just go with what you are doing now.

My LLMD did not put me on doxy this summer because of the sun problem. I was on minocycline. I actually think I did improve on the mino, but I have been changed to Septra and Amoxicillin. I do know the doctors want you on the meds long enough for that particular med to have a chance to work. I would not change the med. But I would question the doctor about whether to extend the med past Aug 20th.

I would continue to take photos the of rash she is having. Document what is going on so you can tell the doctor. If you call him about continuing the meds you might want to mention the rash and lymph node. She might be dealing with one of the Co-infections. I hope she was tested for these also.

You're staying on top of this which is good. I hope she (and you too) show alot of improvement. Please let us know what you find out.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 08-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

sfabiano HB User

Hi Marsha,

Unfortunately, it's been a real mess so far. From no medicine to zithromax, to no medicine. Then given the wrong dosage of doxy, to full strength, but then finding out that we had alternatives, so finally choosing Ceftin (and of course, probably the wrong dosage for six days while at camp).

I didn't have Julia tested for co-infections, based on what they told me at Igenex (that it's usually done later) and based on an article off the web from Dr. Christ (?). She also doesn't seem to show the symptoms of coinfections, that I read.

It's odd that today, the bump on her head is hardly obvious, and that it changes all the time...

Thanks for your advice and prayers Marsha. I'm happy that at least I was able to get her tested - I just hope that we can get her properly treated. I'm also hoping that it's not too late....

Thanks!
Sandra

Old 08-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Sandra....sorry to hear Julia wasn't given the right dosage...even if the test comes out negative I would really go on her symtoms no matter what...my lymph nodes were swollen ALLLLL over my body for years.......and when they started FINALLY going down that was the biggest clue to me that the antibiotic treatment was finally working....

I do pray that BOTH of you get the proper treatment....hugs to you both...

Jodie

Old 08-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
(female)

sfabiano HB User

Thanks Jodie. I'll definitely follow your advice. I've already made an appt on Sept. 4, for her to see the only LLMD in our area. Unfortunately, I couldn't get an earlier appt than that.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Thanks again!
Sandra

Closed Thread