It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

Kitten Newport HB User
Early Stage Lyme and symptoms years later

Hello everybody. I am new to the boards. I have a question for anyone who can answer it. I'll do a little back story first.

When I was eleven I was bitten by a tick, had the classic bull's eye rash and the fever, headaches, etc. I was treated for Lyme Disease immedietly and put on two weeks of antibiotics. And that was the end of it. Until recently.

I'm 25 now and I've noticed that in the last few years I am always fatigued, my muscles ache (feels like I've been beaten with a stick), and I get these incredible headaches. I've also noticed a sensitivity to noise even if it's just someone speaking to me in a normal manner. And a sesitivity to light. I don't sleep well and haven't for years and years. My appetite has changed greatly. And I have battled depression and anxiety for years. It wasn't until this summer though that I've really taken notice of any of my symptoms. Because I don't go to a doctor unless I'm dying (for many reasons one of which is money) I began researching my medical history and my current symptoms. What I found was that I was a perfectly healthy, happy, and well adjusted child until being diagnosed with Lyme Disease. After that I was constantly sick and depressed. I suppose that as a teenager I didn't put much thought into it because I don't remember 90% of the doctor visits. I remember the therapy sessions because at the time I couldn't understand why I was depressed. During all this research whenever I would type in my symptoms taken toether I was being referred to Late Stage Lyme disease articles. And what I was reading was scaring and enlightening all at the same time. I felt like I was looking back to the last 13 years of my life and all the physical pain and confusion. The only thing though is that I was treated at the earliest stages of Lyme disease and should not have any symptoms now.

My question is this: Can someone who has been treated at the earliest stage of Lyme Disease have severe symptoms years later?

I would greatly appreciate a response. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Early Stage Lyme and symptoms years later

Hi Kitten Newport, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you have been so sick. It sounds like you were not not treated long enough initially. Two weeks of treatment is never long enough for Lyme disease. It is also possible that you were re-infected.

You really need to be evaluated by a Lyme doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. There is a lot more information available now than there was when you got bitten.

Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Are you in northern or southern FL?

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner and Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many doctors follow his protocols.

Hang in there okay? Good help is available.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten Newport HB User

Thank you Ticker for responding. I actually live in Central Florida on the Gulf of Mexico in itty bitty Citrus County. It's about 2 hours north of Tampa. Your statement about being reinfected really got me thinking about where I've lived since I was eleven.

Looking back I have always lived near heavily wooded areas. Every summer I would go camping (true camping-no trailers, only tents). I can't remember a time before florida not being surrounded by trees and wild animals. I've always enjoyed walking in the woods. Not so much now because Florida has got some really big and mean looking spiders!

I'm really wondering now how many times I might have put myself at risk and not really thought about it. During the years after my initial treatment the hardest part was being taken seriously that I was sick all the time. I finally got to a point where I don't complain or go to a doctor because what ever they treat me for does not help. Not once did it ever occur to me to think that Lyme Disease might have played a large part in my symptoms.

Here I am now at 25 and I stopped working this summer because I just don't have the energy anymore. It's not something that I'm happy about either. That is why I started researching my medical history. And then when I started looking at the Lyme Disease websites I couldn't believe what I was reading. And looking at the list of symptoms in your response was amazing. Because I have experienced every single one with the exception of the facial paralisis. And some of them were at the same time as others.

All I had originally set out to do was figure out what was wrong so that I could fix it myself. Like I said in my last post I don't go to doctors unless I'm dying and with no health insurance and me not working cash is pretty tight. But, you have really encouraged me to get to a doctor and get tested. So, thank you. I really do appreciate it and I plan on going to the library after this to check that book out.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kitten Newport. I know of one Lyme doctor in Temple Terrace (near Tampa). His name is Dr. Michael Cichon. I hope you can see a knowledgeable doctor soon.

Keep us posted on how you are doing okay?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

Kitten Newport HB User

Thank you, Ticker, for getting me that docs name. I've already done some research and I have his address and phone number. What I have read so far online, he sounds great. I plan on calling his office tommorrow and seeing if I meet with him. I've even been to Map Quest to see where his office is. Estimated travel time is 1 hour 28 minutes. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kitten Newport. An hour and a half is not too bad. There are not many Lyme doctors.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
(female)

Kitten Newport HB User

Thanks again, Ticker. An hour and a half is a piece of cake for me. I love to travel. Of course now I have to drive due to the nausea; but, I love to drive anyway. I can even go to Busch Gardens after my appointment ; ) . I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kitten Newport, I am happy to help. One thing that helped my nausea tremendously like nothing else would was papaya tablets. You can get them at most healthfood stores. When you feel nauseous, chew a couple of them. They really helped me.

Have fun in Busch Gardens! I lived in Florida for a long time and never made it there. I have heard it is fun.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

Congrats on your research efforts. My situation and symptoms mirror yours. You are in the right place.

Closed Thread