It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
building up your body

This is something that has been a huge help to me so I want to share it with all of you...

When you are fighting to regain your health, it's going to go a lot better for you if you aren't just killing lyme. The other half of the battle is restoring the systems of your body that have been broken down by it. For me that includes the thyroid, adrenals, and the immune system and others. There are tests you might want to have that will help you understand if your body has been damaged or compromised in any way and if it has, you can try to build up those areas and the fight against lyme will be more effective. Some of those tests are:

Thyroid T4, T3 and free T3. Many of us have Hashimoto's hypothyroid.

Adrenal stress test, including DHEA, pregnenolone, cortisol and HGH.

Immunoglobulins to see if your immune system is fighting.

Iodine testing--it is possible to do this at home on your own. Many lyme sufferers have low iodine levels. You can read more about this in Dr. Jernigan's book. I just started taking Iodoral and it has boosted my energy level.

ATP and mitochondria tests--especially do this if you have no muscle strength where you used to have some or if you become drastically fatigued after minor physical exertion.

Neurotransmitter testing--especially if you have depression, anxiety or brainfog that doesn't go away when you detoxify. This will test your epinephrine, serotonin, and other neurotransmitter levels.

Heavy metal testing--It's not uncommon for lyme sufferers to have high mercury levels. Also, high levels of lead or any other harmful metal will greatly inhibit your recovery ability.

Candida levels--Yeast symptoms are very similar to lyme symptoms. Yeast can cause major systemic problems and make you very sick. It can give you itchy rashes and leaky gut, and extreme fatigue. If you are taking antibiotics long term, you will want to keep a close eye on candida levels.

I hope this is helpful to you, it has made a huge impact on my battle against lyme.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: building up your body

Hi Sleeper...again my hat is off to you.....another awesome post!!! Your making a great adisor Wish I had you around when I was down in bed and couldn't think straight.....I would of printed out all of this info and plastered them all over my home.....

Thanks for taking the time to help everyone.....

Big Soft Hugs!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

This IS an excellent post

Old 06-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

For thyroid testing, I highly recommend getting the Free T3, Free T4, and thyroid antibody tests in addition to the normal panel (TSH, T3, T4). They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view.

The antibody tests are important because some people who have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis have normal test results but elevated antibodies.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

jaime78 HB User

thanks for all the info...I will have to look into that.

I had a tumor on the left half of my thyroid, had it, and half thyroid removed...then 6 months later, same thing on the right side...so now I have to screw around with thyroid meds for the rest of my life...

It seems that no matter where my tsh level is, there is no difference! I've had it way below normal, way above normal and everywhere in between.

I was just complaining that my whole body just feels week. Even the thought of having to exert strength makes my arms weak!

going to print this out to ask my llmd when I see him....thank you for sharing

Old 06-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jaimie. What thyroid meds are you on? It could be that you need an increase or you may do better on a different med. Some meds like Synthroid are a T4 only med and other meds like Armour are a T3/T4 med.

Some people get a suppressed TSH during treatment. It is my understading that it is more important to go by the Free T3 and Free T4 levels and the person's symptoms than by the TSH.

Last edited by ticker; 06-13-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
(female)

jaime78 HB User

I am actually on armour now. started with synthroid, my doc at the time was a jerk... treat you like a number, not a patient type. She knew everything, I knew nothing. I begged her to play with my tsh number, and let me try armour....no luck.

I switched docs, explained my side, he said "yeah, no problem , a small change in your tsh number can make a big difference in your life", and he put me on armour as well.

When I was on synthroid, I was right in the middle, "where it should be". Then on the armour, he let me have a higher dose, and get my tsh number lower...I was down below normal, at a .1, was feeling better I guess....but at that time I was hoping all my problems were thyroid related, so dissapointed when all my symptoms didn't leave.... I have been on the same dose, but take so many meds and supps, that I have been lax for the past couple of months (you're suppsed to take it on an empty stomach, with nothing else), and some days I woulnd't wait long enough to take something esle.... so now, on the same dose, my tsh has jumped to a 7.7!

He's keeping me on the same dose, and I am going to be more vigilant for the next couple months, and re test, to see what happens.

I also did take cytomel (t3, I think), when I was on the synthroid, but after reading about it, got concerned about it....

Guess we'll see what happens when I start treatment in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jaimie. It really is very important to take your thyroid meds consistently. Amrour can interfere with many things.

I take Armour also. I take mine sublingually (dissolve under the tongue) as soon as I get up. This way you do not have to worry about any food, supplement, or med interactions. You may want to ask your doctor about doing this.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
(female)

jaime78 HB User

what do you mean? Is it just the regular armour you do that with? Then you don't have to wait so long to take other meds or food? I will definitly ask about that.

I know I need to be consistant, I'm usually really good about spacing everything out, I've just been adding in so many supplements that it seems I am always taking stuff, not enough hours in the day....lol.... but I guess that's one med that I really need, so the rest of the supps can wait.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jaimie. Yes it is Armour that I take sublingually. It takes about 15 minutes or so to dissolve. I keep mine by the bed so as soon as I wake up, I take it. It is very important to take thyroid meds consistently.

It can be hard to juggle everything. If you take antibiotics twice a day, you may want to take the bulk of your supplements (the once a day ones anyway) at lunchtime. Then they will not interfere with the antibiotics.

Closed Thread