It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

srocc20655 HB User
Terrible bloating & weight gain

Yikes, I have gained 20 lbs. since Christmas!! I have always been conscious of my weight so this is really hard. I am extremely bloated right now and am not sure why. I am on IV Rocephin, Noni and Samento drops, Flexeril and Skelaxin (for TMJ).

It is getting where I have some pretty good days. I still have this terrible neck stiffness and pain but that too is better. I am on my 3rd month of antibiotics - hope that ends soon.

Anyone else get this bloating???

Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

cind68 HB User
Re: Terrible bloating & weight gain

WOW did I EVER!!!!! While I'm doing much better now....gee, it is all so relevant though isn't it?? .....when I was on all the IV abx and other meds that slow me down in addition to the fact you're already slowed down enough I gained a ton of weight! I'm 5'7" and my normal weight had always been around 130-135. When I got so sick I was eating basically nothing however honestly what I was eating was NOT what I needed. For instance I would crave cinnamon bread so what would I do? Eat a loaf over the course of a day....every day. Not only was I not getting the caloric intake my body (well, you'd think) needed but I certainly wasn't getting the nutrients either. The highest I got up to was around 180 and most likely 10-20lbs higher because after I saw that on the scales one time I didn't want on them again and was too tired to get on them or care anyway.
With you on the iv and other meds it may not make a huge difference right now but if you've not already changed your diet I would highly recommend it. It was the hardest thing for me to get rid of carbs and sugar but truthfully one of the most significant in getting better I feel as well. Afterall, Borrelia can't live w/o yeast so take it away and you'll kill them and I would even feel like I was in a herx. Once I got used to that though I've never gone back. I may have something here or there but not much as I know how much worse I'll feel. I guess you could say I've learned my limits. I think we all have different boundaries with it...for instance one piece of toast will set one person off (or less even) and it may take a piece of pie for another. You have to get rid of all of it then slowly ......veeeeeeery slowly find out what's right for YOU. ....ok...sorry if that was a repeat of stuff your doc has prolly already told you!
I'm not on IV now nor am I on the Paxil I once was which can be a big trigger with weight gain but I am on a couple other meds that slow my system down.
My weight now is always right around 125lbs. I would say there are a few reasons for that. First that I changed my diet and am not on the iv(s) or meds that are really known to put on weight but I also have a cyst that's stalked off my pituitary and this is the only thing that anyone's ever been able to figure out causes my thyroid to at times be overactive(more often) and others underactive. Evidently the thing will kinda move around and knock this or that. Gee...that seems really weird when you think about it huh?? eeek!..laffin but not! Oh...and also (and possibly due to this) it seems I'm either layin on the bed/couch watchin tv and feeling like the life has been sucked out of me or on a tennis court overdoing myself. I'm just thankful I'm able to play now and it not only gives me some satisfaction back in life but I also think getting my body temp up (similar to if I went to a sauna) kills the bacteria plus the fact I'm doing something anaerobic and oxygen kills them. Just my lil theory there.
Anyway..........I'd not make it a huge worry if I were you. I mean you're on iv and all and your body will hold that fluid like a tank. It's the pits I know. If it helps I remember once when I couldn't fit into my panties anymore....literally...My fat legs and rear had ripped up the sides of them!YIKES! so I had the nurse take me to get some more. I went to the lingerie dept and kept looking, looking, looking.....then a sales lady finally came up to me and I told her I was having trouble finding ones I thought would fit me just right and feel good. She looked me up and down and said "uhhh..honey..you're in the wrong dept. The BIG GIRLS dept is upstairs." I wanted to yank all her hair out right then and there but was too tired and then the thought of stairs?..even an escalator??..too much!...I just plopped myself down on the floor right there in Macy's in the middle of the bras and panties and put my face in my hands and bawled my eyes out!!! ROFL!!!..Yeah...I can laugh now but it sure wasn't funny then I promise ya!!!
Most importantly make sure you're getting the right nutrients for your body and talk to your doc about just what type of diet you need to be on. Have you been tested for allergies? Told to cut out the carbs and sugar?.....Maybe a sauna to help get rid of the fluid? Or if you're able some type of exercise? ...Worry about just getting better now and the rest will take care of itself........ Even though I know all too well how frustrating it is!!! Hang in there!!
cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

Cindy Thanks sooo much for the post!!! I could really relate to you! This is really hard, because I think we are both weight conscious - whah. My Dr. does have me off the sugar, aspertame and he wants me to keep off the wheat. I have a hard time with the wheat but keep it to a minimum. I have been doing well on the diet otherwise. I really miss a glass or two of Chardonnay - that is pretty hard for me.

I posted another post today that I bought an Infrared Sauna which should be delivered next week. I can't wait because I think that will help me get rid of this bloat.

I haven't weighed this much since I delivered my son back in 1994 - I was huge then and I am almost the same weight now. Not good. Plus my last period was January so I am going through Menopause too this year. 2006 will go down as one of the worst of my life!! It can only get better - I hope. I have only had Lyme since December but the stupid drs. didn't believe me - I was told "there is no Lyme in Michigan". DUH - some of us travel - what a bunch of morons. I wasn't put on antibiotics until May so the Lyme was well distributed throughout my body by then.

My Dr. also cleared me to return to my Jazzercise class - which I LOVE. However, I have not been sure yet that I have the energy. I will go back and try it within the next few weeks - so I am sure that will help the weight/bloat thing.

Again, THANKS for posting and best wishes to you.

Sue SROCC20655

Old 08-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

rck213 HB User

[QUOTE=cind68].......but I also have a cyst that's stalked off my pituitary and this is the only thing that anyone's ever been able to figure out causes my thyroid to at times be overactive(more often) and others underactive. Evidently the thing will kinda move around and knock this or that. Gee...that seems really weird when you think about it huh?? eeek!..laffin but not! Oh...and also (and possibly due to this) it seems I'm either layin on the bed/couch watchin tv and feeling like the life has been sucked out of me or on a tennis court overdoing myself.

Has anyone done any endocrine studies, MRI's etc on the "cyst on the pituitary" ? I am asking because I had been diagnosed as fibromyalgia/CFIDS for years and was able to control my life somewhat until two years ago by good diet,suppliments, exercise and stress reduction. The past two years my fatigue increased along with a dramatic increase in Blood Pressure , couldn't be controlled with medication
I finally had a Renal MRA, then a CT renal angiogram and CT of adrenals and Kidneys. That lead to a renal angiogram, right renal angioplasty for Fibromuscular Dysplasia and venous blood sampling from the renal and adrenal veins. I have high cortisol levels, now looking at Cushing's syndrome, haven't had pituitary checked yet.
The HPA (hypothalmus, pituitary, adrenal) axis is very important in regulation of all body systems, hope someone has checked it all out for you.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

slowdeath HB User

your gonna love your sauna - ive has mine about 2 weeks and WOW what a differeence. i feel a ton better. you will to

Closed Thread