It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

sfabiano HB User
Please check out these Igenex Test Results

Hi guys,

Well, we finally got the Igenex test results back. It looks like their negative - I'm glad but still unsure since there are some positives and she still has a swollen lymph node (although the bite bump is getting smaller again). I will probably still have her see the LLMD in September, but it's a debate. She is also still on the Ceftin (about 6 days left).

If someone has any idea or opinions about the results, I'd appreciate it.

IgG:

39 kDa: IND
41 kDa: ++

IgM:

31 kDa: IND
39 kDa: IND
41 kDa: IND
58 kDa: +
66 kDa: +

Thanks,
Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Please check out these Igenex Test Results

Hi Sandra.

How is your daughter doing? Did she get on a higher dose antibiotic? Below is a breakdown of the Western Blot:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
12 specific for Bb
18 unknown
20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
21 unknown
22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
28 unknown
30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
one California strain
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
35 specific for Bb
37 specific for Bb
38 cross-reactive for Bb
39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

The IgM tests for a more recent infection, the IgG a longer-standing one. The CDC requires a large number of bands to show for it to be considered positive, yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands show. Lyme doctors often focus on which bands show, some are specific for Lyme. Band 41 is often the first band to show, and hers is positive. Bands 31and 39 are Lyme-specific bands and hers are IND. I think this is significant.

Which Lyme doctor will she be seeing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Ticker I have a question for you...

When I was bouncing around from doctor to doctor and I had bands showing...41 was always in my bands....

They would tell me that everyone shows a 41 even people that don't have lyme....

Does that make any sense to you???

Thank You...
Jodie

Old 08-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Sandra
I tested positive 19 yrs ago (lyme titer) and last year I was tested by Igenex and all bands were indeterminate. I was also tested last year for the co-infections and was positive for babesia, mycoplasma, and bartonella.

Were the Co-infections tested for?

I agree with Ticker, and think it is good your daughter is seeing a LLMD. Let us know what you find out.

Prayers....Marsha

Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

raylp HB User

As I understand it, the criteria for the medical industry is to have 6 or more bands test positive for Lyme in order to have it, and for them to treat you.

All I can say is this for me pointed to what I saw as the underlying truths behind Lyme disease.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jodie. It is best to be tested at a Lyme lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto. Have you ever been tested there?

Old 08-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi raylp, welcome to the board!

Do you have Lyme disease? There is no completely reliable test for Lyme disease. The CDC requires a large number of bands for the Western Blot to be considered positive, yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands present. Knowledgeable doctors often look at which bands are present, some are specific for Lyme.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

H Ticker....Yes I did a couple of times...and no postive ever came out...think I had it far tooo long for it to show up as a positive...but I had bands....and the doctors told me that I didn't have it according to the CDC...and I would say but look there is the 41 band...I had others too...I was told by some of them that everyone has a 41 band in their body....

I was just curious if you have ever heard that in your travels

I know I hadhave lyme....just one of those that none of the test worked on me except for showing bands....but of course not enough according to the CDC....

Finally showed a slight positive after having my last picc line pulled....from a little lab at the hosiptal....the doc that was treating me had to laugh....

Hugs....

Old 08-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Hi,

Did you have the tests done while she was on abx, or shortly after? The reason I ask is because N. Harris, at IgeneX, told me that abx can definitely affect the test results. I believe they advise waiting at least a few weeks after you stopped abx to get tested. I would actually wait longer.

Prema

Old 08-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

raylp HB User

Yes I have Lyme Disease, but I feel fine thanks to regular maintenance with alternative treatments.

I thought the Bowen Clinic offered reliable test results.

Closed Thread