It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
(male)

iowabucks HB User
finding lyme doctors

Hi, My name is Jerry and i am new to the board. I spend alot of time outdoors and find ticks on me occationally. Have had some neck and facial pain lately on my right side that feels like tight muscles, ringing ear, ear pain, and headaches. Can't even sleep on that side of my head when it hurts. Had a lyme titer test, tested positive. I know thats not a foolproof test either. My doctor started me on 100mg doxycycline twice daily, for 3 weeks.

My question is, what is the best way to find a good doctor that is "knowing" in lyme disease. I live in the SE Iowa area. I would like to have a follow up test to be sure. THX Jerry

Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User
Re: finding lyme doctors

Hi Jerry
Welcome to the lyme board. Sorry you have to be here.

Your doxy dose is lower than what LLMD's recommend for treatment. Also doxy is extremely sun sensitive. So be careful. Seconds can burn. Also doxy should not be taken with milk products. I haven't taken doxy and I know there are some things you need to know. You can search the tread for key words. Type in doxy and see what some have written on it.

The best way to find a good LLMD is to have someone recommend one. Someone on here will come on and advise you or you can check out the great doctors thread on the lyme board.

Prayers....Marsha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

HI Jerry....sorry to hear you have lyme....if you came out with a positive and you are having some odd things going on with you...then yep most likely you have lyme....BUT....

The doctor has you on way toooooo low of a dose.....I would either see if you will increase it and yoiu also need to do a couple more to help keep up with the phasing process of this bacteria....

sorry i don't know of any doctor in your area...someone will come on to help I'm sure....

Good luck!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

Jerry, Welcome - sorry to hear you have Lyme. I too have the same symptoms. Ear pain, TMJ, mouth pain, canker sores, roof of mouth sore and on and on. I have just finished 10 1/2 weeks of antibiotics and still have some of these symptoms. My LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Dr.) says I have to detox more. However, all in all I am much better than I was 2 months ago.
There is hope.

However you must find a Dr. who knows what they are talking about. I found my wonderful LLMD by going on the Lyme Disease Association website - they have a Dr. referral section.

Good luck and when I was on Doxy - I took 400 to 600 mgs daily so you need to discuss this when you find a LLMD.

Sue SROCC20655

Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

hi jerry...first welcome to the board. secondly i'm very sorry you have to be here. lymes is tough, and it is especially hard to find good llmds in the midwest area. i live in wisconsin and travel down to missouri every 4 months to see my llmd, Dr. Charles Crist. he is great and very knowledgeable. i also have heard of two local docs here in wisconsin that are becoming known for helping in lymes cases. i am actually trying to get into see one of them so he can supervise my iv treatment locally. their names arre Dr. Meress in fon du lac. the other is in eagle river, i've forgtten his name at the moment, but i will try to find it for you. i know dr. meress is supposed to be very good as well, he is booked up a month or 2 in advance at the moment. i'm waiting to hear back from his office to schedule my own appt. anyway if i remember any more i'll let you know. hope this helps.

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 08-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

hi jerry...found the other docs i was talking about.

Dr. Hoffmann in Eagle River, WI
Dr. Vrchota in Winona, MN.

i don't know much about either of them, but they came highly recommended to me by a fellow lyme sufferer who knows them both. so they might be worth a try as well.

keep us posted.

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 08-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
(female)

indianagirl HB User

I have heard of a Dr in K.C> Missouri named Dr Carol Ryser supposed to be good they told about her and her clinic in our local paper a few weeks ago.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
(female)

nobby007 HB User

Hi Jerry....I too have just recently tested positive for LD....I think I can help you with a doctor....I live in Galena Illinois, Northwest corner, 20 minutes south of Dubuque Iowa...are you familiar? I have found a wonderful doctor that is treating both myself and 3 yr. old daughter for LD. I drove 5 1/2 hours to him, but it was worth every second...If this is info you think you might be interested in post a reply and I will figure out how to get it to you....Hope this helps!!! Oh Yeah! I was treated with Doxy twice and felt better, but symptoms crept back, Watch Out! Heidi

Old 08-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

nobby007 HB User

Sorry Jerry I feel stupid I did not read all the posts and I see that someone has already mentioned my doc he is wonderful...loved him!!! He is in Eagle River and posted above....if you need any info on him let me know....Heidi

Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Jerry and welcome.

I see an LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) and that makes all the difference. When I have a new symptom, or some weird thing going on, she completely understands - and she offers so many good ideas! Good luck finding one.

I take Doxycycline, 600 mg per day. It helped me. I felt a marked improvement after 9 months of taking it.

Boy do you have to be careful in the sun! I ran errands one day (with 45 SPF sunscreen) and the knuckles on my hand burned really badly from the sun shining on them through the windshield. I had my toes burn from wearing flip flops and walking around a garden center for 30 minutes. So be super careful. Its different from a regular sunburn - more like a chemical burn.

Read the info sheet that came with the medicine from your pharmacy - stay away from dairy, don't lie down right after taking it, etc.

I hope you get to see an LLMD soon.

Peace and health to you.

Closed Thread