It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

LymeGranny HB User
Dr Visit today

I originally had an appt for dec 4th to see the Rheumatologist that my PCP wanted me to see. They called me last week and had a cancellation for today so I said sure.
It was an interesting visit. This Dr was very informative about the possibility of all my symptoms being either Rheumatoid Arthritis or0what they call reactive arthritis or LD. He does not believe I have Rheumatoid Arthritis but ordred bloodwork to check things out. He believes I have either LD or reactive arthritis. Unfortunately he is not up to speed on the treatment of LD. He believes that 4 wks of doxy 100mg twice a day is the appropriate treatment. I told him maybe that is old school but things are no longer like that and I am not going to stop the antibiotics yet....He is going to check out the list of websites I gave to him. I was impressed he even listened to me.
My rash has turned pinky-red again and has now gotten a lot bigger just since this AM. I was depressed to see this. I became more depressed when I saw that I had gained 10lbs over the past 4 wks...this is a lot to me. I have spent the last 3 yrs losing 145 lbs and still had 50 to go....now I am gaining...I know it is because I cannot exercise...I am just too dang exhausted and in too much pain....He stressd the importance of keeping up with my exercise....but I just can't....I work a full time job and then sleep my life away all weekend just so I can start my work week on Monday. I am becoming more depressed and more exhausted every day.....sigh....

Last edited by LymeGranny; 08-28-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: Dr Visit today

Hi Lymegranny, I'm glad you were able to see the doc sooner than Dec 4, that's a long time to wait when you are sick and feeling depressed. I guess I'm not surprised that he didn't really know that much about lyme, but you do so it's good that you straightened him out. More lyme patients need to be brave and inform their doctors when they know that something isn't right, or as you say "old school."

I know a lot of people do gain weight when they are being treated for lyme because it's too hard to exercise when your whole body hurts. One thing that helped me was getting an infrared sauna. You lose more weight in there than doing aerobic exercise and you just have to sit still and sweat. I have a cd player in mine, so it's easy to pass the time listening to music or a book on cd.

I have been off the boards for a little while trying to get the kids ready for school. They go back on Thursday and we are looking forward to it, the kids are too they said.

Looking forward to talking to you more.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

did you have your blood sent to Igenex??? I see you live in N.Y....seems to be alot of people on here from N.Y......I was told the same thing as you...Arthritis....needed surgery on my neck....I had carpal tunnel...I was bi-polar ect....GOOODDDDD GRIEF!!! Wouldn't it had been so much easier to just have treated me for lyme

I was affected opposite with the weight...I went down to 100 pounds...then after 6 years of being on antibiotics I finally put weight on last year IN A MONTH AND A HALF....50 POUNDS!!!!! and I can't get it off....not that I want to be back down to 100 pounds but to take of 20 would be nice....the last antidepressant I was put on that is when I gained the weight...and I just at the point said FORGET IT I'M DONE....so took a year off ALLLLL MED'S to see where I stood...now on Dr. J's tinctures....have you thought about doing that? Might help.....

Really happy to hear the doctor listened and wanted to learn...yeah!!! That is a miracle!

Hope you get better soon and get some answers....
HUGS TO YOU!!!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Lymegranny,

My LLMD over here in the UK has discovered that a lot of his patients have a malfunctioning mitochondrial system - the system that produces, stores and distributes energy in the body. If you use up more energy than your body is able to supply it has to take energy from other parts of your body which is not as easily replaced. It also causes acid to be released into your muscles which cause severe pain.

If this is a problem for yourself, you could be doing yourself more harm than good by trying to do too much exercise.

Weight gain is a common complaint amongst us lymies, but we have to put getting better at the top of our list of priorities.

By the way - I think it is amazing that anyone can still work full-time with lyme disease. I admire you.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

NP40 HB User

Granny, of all the lyme patients I've known over the years the one common symtpm they ALL had is fatigue. The add on symptoms differ but the fatigue everybody gets.

My son lost 20 pounds in 3 months with lyme. My neighbor down the road who had lyme gained 30 pounds in three months. It is one strange disease.

Closed Thread