It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

cindyx4 HB User
Will steroid injections make the Lyme worse?

I am in just so much pain that I can't stand it anymore. I've had steroid injections in the past but thought I read somewhere that it was contraindicated with Lyme? Do you guys know?

Thanks.

Cindy

Old 08-31-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Will steroid injections make the Lyme worse?

Hi Cindy.

I have read here that steroids are a big no-no for Lymies. It can exagerate symptoms and make you sicker.

On the other hand, there was someone here who had knee surgery and was taking steroid shots and managed to handle them just fine.

Before I knew what was wrong with me, my GP thought (wrongly) that I had fluid deep in my ears from infections.

She prescribed strong steroids to try to dry up my inner ears and within a few days of taking them, my symptoms went through the roof. By the time I was done taking them all (I think it was ten days worth) I couldn't walk or see and my lightheaded dizzy feeling was VERY SEVERE. I was staggering all over the place.

Hmm, just wondering if there's something else you can try - accupuncture, massage, chiropractic, essential oils, Alleve, Advil, etc.

I live with daily pain too. I sit here with a full bladder and try to get courage to stand up and walk to the bathroom so I can grunt in agony when I have to sit on the bowl. Yikes - its bad, I know.

Hang in there, Ok?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

Hi Mickie...

Doesn't all of this suck? I am so sad right now I can't stand it! I am definately having a flair. My hips and my lower back just kills me. I have taken 1500 mg of Vicodin (!!), 800mg of Motrin and am sitting on a heating pad. I need to pay the bills so the phone calls stop, I need to travel 45 minutes and help my very pregnant sister-in-law move in to her apartment, I need to call and visit my mother-in-law and ahndle her affairs, I need to clean my house AND I need to take care of me. I'm not comfortable sitting, or lying down. I think I am having a pity party!

I called Dr. S's office and was told that if I do the injections I do so without his support. How can I possibly do that?! I just want the pain to be gone. I am so tired of not feeling well.

I have a question about your bladder issues: do you have pain? Do you have to go all the time? or leak? etc. I ask this because I had really bad bladder problems for years after my boys were born. I decided to have the bladder sling surgery just about a year ago and it was the best decsion (sorry I can't think how to spell it!) I ever made. Are your bladder issues related to the lyme?

I get a massage every 3 weeks for my pain. I take vicodin and motrin regulary. I got to counseling every 2 weeks (more if needed) to discuss all my issues. My MT and counselor beleive that we hold problems in areas of our bodies (chakras). So, when I am at my most stressed with life I find that I have the most pain. The past 2 weeks have been the hardest 2 weeks of my entire life (or at least it seems that way) and right now I don't see things getting better. Someone always needs something from me and I am the type of person to not say no.

Ok, I am really babbling. Didn't realize I had so much to get out. Please tell me how you are doing since I haven't been able to keep up with the board. I think of you often and wonder how in the world you work full time, take care of your kids AND deal with the lyme. You are a wonder woman to me..did you know that?!

Blessing Mickie!

Cindy

Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Thanks Cindy, but my ability to "just do it" every day comes from here. The folks here give me a fresh perspective and a jolt of support whenever I need it.

I don't have bladder pain - what I meant was that I'll be sitting here on my sofa with a full bladder, dreading having to stand up and walk to the john because my knees hurt so badly.

If I had bladder pain on top of all this other pain - I'd just wear Depends and to heck with walking to the bathroom. LOL

I wonder, have you tried taking a break (maybe a day or two or three) from your medicines, or switching medicines?

If your medicines are a cause of the pain, that's a good thing if it's killing Lyme, but it's not a good thing if it makes you suffer so.

And, (repeat out loud after me), you DO NOT have to help anyone move. You love your sister-in-law and it's great that she's pregnant (I love babies - Yay!) but do NOT help her by moving. You can go visit and sit on your keester with your heating pad and watch the men do the moving. DO NOT HELP HER MOVE.

It's not mean of you, or rude of you, to retract your offer and tell her that you're hurting too much with the Lyme to help.

You also DO NOT HAVE to handle your mom-in-laws affairs.

You are a caring person - but turn the caring onto yourself.

When you regain your health, you can do all these things, but not now.

Cindy, you are sick and you are trying to heal. Rest and peace and serenity will help you - not running around taking care of others.

I hope I don't sound curt, but I am concerned that so many Lymies go out of their way to help others when we should be concentrating on our own health.

Please take care of Y-O-U as you would a friend.

Peace out girl scout.

Last edited by 6Blues; 08-31-2006 at 08:39 AM.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User

steroids weaken the tendon tissue; also, they are an immunosuppessant, which is definitely not good if you have Lyme. Dr. B strongly warns against them.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Hi cindy, sorry you're in so much pain. I take vicoden sometimes too if I am on a long trip or it's just too much for me.

The thing that helped my joint pain the most is plaquenil a.k.a hydroxycholorquine. It is an antimalarial drug and an anti-inflammatory. I take it with zithromax and it seems to be a working combination for me. I have had significantly less pain sense taking this.

It's not a bad idea to do a liver cleanse too. Pain can come from a toxic liver, usually if I do a liver/gallbladder flush I feel better. Are you detoxifying every day? If not, think about trying a detoxifying protocol, that is really crucial in keeping pain at bay.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

earle HB User

cindy, sweetie, take it from me. i now firsthand of which i speak!!! sorry to say, but say no to your pregnant sister in law. do not, i repeat, help her with her move. say no.

look where all that helping got me. i was literally confined to bed when i got home. my body just crashed and the pain since i did that has been through the roof, nothing touches it. now my joints are killing me all the time and before they didn't bother me.

as for bills, turn on soft music and sit and do them, pay what you can. thank God, i don't have that problem tho.

please take it from me. in my case, it was not appreciated and we haven't heard from her since. my husband had to call her!!!

so don't overstress...........

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Cindy
The others give good advice. A lot of us need to learn to say NO. I know myself I have to slow down and now. Hope you do as well. Take care of you.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

NP40 HB User

The ONLY time steroids should ever be used for a lyme patient is a very short course to correct an asthmatic condition caused by the lyme.

In no circumstance should steroids ever be used for pain when suffering lyme. I'm well aware that lymies get little relief from traditional pain meds, but steroids completely shut down the immune system and will let the Bb ravage.

For pain, ask your doc to try different meds. Everyone's different. One person's gold is another's alchemy. Hot baths in epsom salts, squeezed lemon juice drinks, sauna's, Podi patches, etc. have all provided some relief for lyme sufferer's. Steroids are short term and eventually make everything worse !

Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi ...would suggest staying away from any steriod.....the doctors I was seeing before being treated for lyme...said it was my neck...back...fybromyalgia...ect.ect.... I had TOO many injections in my neck and back.....it can eat the bone...besides I finally had to stop using them...THEY MADE ME CRAZY!!!! WEll crazier....lol....find another treatment........

Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Cindy,

You said it yourself - more stress = more pain, so you know what needs to change to reduce the pain.

There is a big difference between "won't" and "can't". People who know you well will understand that you would help if you were able to, but that you can't do it at the moment.

We shoot ourselves in the foot by pushing ourselves too far. For a start it makes us sicker, and also people will think "well she can't be so ill if she can do all this".

There are other people out there capable of helping. Let them have their turn!

Look after yourself.

Closed Thread