It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

steffb HB User
Lyme paralysis

My boyfreind was diagnosed with lyme in June. He was suffering from joint pain ans swelling. He was on doxycyline for 3 weeks and then for another 3 weeks. The symptoms have not gone away they have worsened. He now has no mobility in his left arm and right arm is very limited. Is this the normal progression of the disease or is something else going on here. I must say that he does not have very good eating habits, he smokes alot and never drinks water. I feel as though his body is unable to repair the damage. Any advice or help is greatly appriciated.
Steff

Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lyme paralysis

Hi Steff, welcome to the board!

I am sorry your boyfriend is so sick. He has not received long enough treatment. What dose of Doxy was he on? How long was the treatment interrupted in-between? He also may not have been treated aggressively enough. Lyme disease needs continuous, aggressive treatment.

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Has he been tested for these? It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected.

Are you in NY? I know of Lyme doctors who come highly recommended in Armonk and Hyde Park. Would you like one of their names?

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner and Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many doctors follow his protocols.

Hang in there okay? Good help is available. Your boyfriend is lucky to have you helping him.

Last edited by ticker; 09-04-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

raylp HB User

I'm really sorry to hear that the Lyme has messed him up like that. Anything is possible with this disease, and it isn't a simple fix with some antibiotics.

It doesn't surprise me that he didn't respond to antibiotics, it's not unusual to stay sick while taking them.

Lyme disease is way underreported in terms of it's prevalence and seriousness. Given this, I'd recommend starting your own research with this. You really have to with Lyme, because most of the doctors have their hands tied behind their backs by the whole establishment. Do your homework big time with this, and get a big notebook to start filling up with options and info.

I recommend researching the standard protocols, LLMD mainstream protocols, alternative treatments, testimonials of each, success rates, typical recovery periods, the $$ of each protocol in terms of medicine and time off, etc.

My favorite options are:

Salt-c protocol
Rife machines - Lyme and Rife

Good luck, and ask questions anytime.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Steff and welcome.

Sorry to hear that your boyfriend is so sick. You're a good friend & partner to be hear on his behalf.

6 weeks of Doxycycline may not have been long enough. I have been on Doxy, 600mg per day, for 10 months. I started feeling better after 6 months of the drug.

I also have a co-infection of Lyme called Bartonella.

Did your boyfriend get tested for co-infections? The co-infections can complicate treatment.

I see a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD) and it makes a huge difference. Other doctors I saw said there was nothing wrong with me and they poo-poo'ed my complaints.

I hope he gets to see an LLMD soon.

Peace and health to you both.

Last edited by 6Blues; 09-05-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Closed Thread