It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Question about your meds

when i'm reading your posts and you guys say things like "I am on Doxycycline, 600mg per day (300mg in the morning, 300mg at night" 6blues said that it that an iv or oral dose?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Question about your meds

Hi adamace, welcome to the board!

The recommended oral dose of Doxy for Lyme disease is 300-600 daily. Doxy can also be infused, and I think the average dose for this is 400 mg daily. Doxy is also effective against Mycoplasma and both types of Ehrlichiosis (three of the tick-borne co-infections).

Do you have Lyme disease?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

ok, i'm on 1oo a day for a week, then 100 two times a day so thats 200mg a day through iv.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

How long have you been sick? You are on 200 mg daily of IV Doxy? For how long? Are you being treated by a Lyme doctor?

Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi adamaqce1.

I take Doxycycline orals. 100mg capsules, 3 in the morning, 3 at night.

How long have you been on antibiotics?

Peace and health to you.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

hello 6blues. I just started about 12 hours ago. I am being treated for Q Fever. I haven't had a good lyme test done, I'm seeing a doc that does send the lyme test to Ca. but he didn't want to do that at the time, God i hope i can get better. If i were to tell you my symptoms they sound just like lyme. I'm thinking that this treatment is also good for lyme so why pay the $400 test for lyme when my treatment is one also used for lyme.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
How long have you been sick? You are on 200 mg daily of IV Doxy? For how long? Are you being treated by a Lyme doctor?
100mg of Doxy a day for 1 week, then 200mg a day for i don't know how long. all through the pick line in my arm. yes i am seeing a doctor that knows lyme is a problem in my area, he uses the lab in CA cause they do the test he likes, i live in MI. I have been sick for 5 years i'm 27. Last year ago i was dx with no thyroid function whatso ever, so after that i got alot better. but the around 5 months later i got alot of health problems. And they fit the q fever symptoms list and I tested postive for q fever also.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi adamace. How long is the doctor planning on keeping you on the IV? Will you be on oral meds afterwards?

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

I know it is expensive, but finding out what all you may have in the beginning makes sense so you can receive the best treatment for your case. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner and Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many doctors follow his protocols.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi adamace1. I think we were posting at the same time! I just now saw your post about having a thyroid problem. Some people who have Lyme, including myself, also have a thyroid disorder. Believe me this is a double whammy! I don't know anything about Q Fever, but I am sure it is hard to deal with.

Are you seeing Dr. L?

In case you did not know, there is a sleeve you can get to cover the PICC site so you can shower without getting it wet. It is called a Mid-Arm Protector and you can get it at Brown Medical. It is very helpful!

If you do have Lyme disease, be aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

It is a good idea to document your symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
Hi adamace. How long is the doctor planning on keeping you on the IV? Will you be on oral meds afterwards?

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

I know it is expensive, but finding out what all you may have in the beginning makes sense so you can receive the best treatment for your case. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner and Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many doctors follow his protocols.
thanks for the info. i have talked to you before. I did test postive for chronic q fever, It sounds wrose than lyme from what i have been told and read. 65% of people with the chronic from die from it,it lives in your heart valves, the chronic form is when it last for more than 6 months, I belive i have had it for 5+ years. There hopeing to get me off of the iv and switch to oral in 6-12 weeks, and then treat me with the oral dose for around five years!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by adamace1; 09-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Adamace1
Just read about q fever. Sounds like you are in for a tough fight. Wishing you the best. If we can help, just ask. Prayers...Marsha

Closed Thread