It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
(male)

JOEMAC HB User
Antibiotics Question

If you have Lyme would you have a herx reaction to any antibiotic you take? I havent been diagnosed with Lyme but have many of the symptoms and I was just put on cipro because I came down with strep throat. I was wondering if I do have Lyme should I expect a herx reaction from the Cipro? Do only certain antibiotics give herx reactions? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Antibiotics Question

Hi JOEMAC. Although it is possible you may herx on any antibiotic, you may not if it is not one that treats Lyme and if it is not a strong enough dose. Lyme usually needs to be treated much more aggressively than other infections. As far as I know, Cipro is not used to treat tick-borne illnesses.

I am sorry you have strep throat on top of everything else! I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

HEY Joe....ditto on what ticker said...just want you to know...sore thoarts ...losing your voice ....strep ...can all be lyme related....boy I lost my voice and had sore thoarts sooooo many times....

HOPE YOU RECOVER QUICKLY....try some lemon and honey in hot tea....

Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
(male)

JOEMAC HB User

Thanks. My mother works in the ER of a hosptial near my house and she told me to come in yesterday and they gave me an IV with Cipro along with the prescription so I feel 100% better today. My tonsils are big and when I get a sore throat they basically touch so I could barely swallow water yesterday morning.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi joemac.. so glad you are feeling good...some peolple herx, some dont, many peolple here is this forum have herxed, i havent...i had the strep throat too many years ago, was awfull, and the only abx that worked was agumentin... just in case... but years later i found out that it was epstein bar virus...maybe thats what you have and maybe thats the cause of feeling sick...maybe is worth it if you have a blood test for epstein bar, igg and igm, good luck and keep feeling better! hugs

Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi JOEMAC.

Glad you're feeling better.

Peace and health to you.

Closed Thread