It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Exclamation Finally, defintely ... Herx'ing

Last year I tried a bunch of antibiotics and this year I feel better.

I thought the Doxy started to work after I was on 600mg per day for about 6 months.

Then I seemed to hit a plateau - no change from one week to another and another.

So my LLMD put me on Levaquin for a suspected Bartonella co-infection. Thank heaven she did because I am FINALLY officially Herx'ing.

FYI: Herx'ing is when a person feels worse or feels new symptoms. This is because some antibiotics kill bacteria during thier cell reproduction. Borrelia burgdorffeiri (the Lyme bacteria) replicate about once a month. When the bacteria die, thier cell membranes tear open and the toxic contents spill into our tissues - causing a worsening of symptoms or new symptoms to appear.

It is called a "Herx" after the name of the doctor who documented this phenomenom.

Here's how I know ...
- My Lyme rashes appear then go away about once a month
- I have a string of days each month where I DON'T have a fever
- Although I feel like crap daily - I do have a few days here and there where I can run errands and do dishes and pick things up when I drop them.
- About once a month I notice that I can't pick the right word or I forget things I was just talking about or I forget which way to turn on the road to get to my grocery store. If I notice these happening - that means they WEREN'T happening.

Yay! I fought and "hung in there" for a long long time to recognize a definite Herx'ing.

I hope this means that after a few months of this cycle, I will feel more improvement.

You know what? I noticed that when I am Herx'ing and I should be detoxing - I can't detox. I feel too crappy, too painful to walk, too high of a fever, too fatigued. Ironic. When I can benefit the most from detix, I don't do it.

Peace and health to all.

Last edited by 6Blues; 09-07-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Finally, defintely ... Herx'ing

Hey Blues....CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR HERXING

Hopefully things will start getting better for you....I know it is crappy but hang in there....make sure you keep fluids in you....and really try to push yourself to detox...get those bad boys out of you!!!!!

HANG IN THERE!!!

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Mickie
So glad to see you post. I had been wondering about you. Hope you keep killing those buggers. Hang in you know it gets better.

I can't say alot about detoxing. I am trying to do it every other day. Put my mind to it and have done it twice this week. Hope it helps, cause I feel herxy too.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 09-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

indianagirl HB User

How high did your fever go ? and what is meant by detoxing

Old 09-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi 6blues:

Congrats on your herx! I hope you continue to make good progress...

Frango

P.S. How's the dizziness?

Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Indianagirl
Herxing is caused by killing the lyme bacteria. Once dead they release toxic (ammonia) in your body. Herxing is usually when you first start a new med (about 2-4 days after you start) and then you feel crappy for weeks. The toxins poison your body. This in turn causes symptoms to get worse and they can jump around. The bacteria can only be killed in the last phase. Which is about every 3-4 wks.

I also have started dry brushing my skin. Dry brush in the direction of your heart. This helps to remove any old skin that might block your pores and not let the detoxing bath work.

Detoxing baths help release the trapped toxins from your skin before they can be reabsorbed. I use a large bottle of hydrogen perxiode and a bag of epsen salts. I disolve the salt in warm water and after I am in the water I pour the perxiode in.

Mickie, I hope you are still improving. Hows the balance. Thinking of you.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi guys and welcome Indianagirl.

Frango - I was wondering what rock you were under. LOL Happy to see you again.

Marsha - thanks for the encouragement!

My fever doesn't go really high, it just stays at a temp where I feel like crap - right around 100. On the days when I'm not Herx'ing, it feels so good!

The dizziness may still be there, I can't tell because I walk (shuffle, really) so slow due to the pain of dying Bartonella. It may be a bit better, but time will tell.

I've been Herx'ing for 3 months on Levaquin for Barttonella co-infection. I never had any definite pattern like this when I was trying to fight the Lyme alone. I guess its true that co-infections complicate things.

I am just coming off a bad Herx: rashes red and itching, fevers, headaches, even worse fatigue, crying spells, feel "drunk", can't think of the right word when I am talking, I forget something that happened ten seconds prior.

I tried a detox bath last night, but I promptly vomitted shortly after getting in it. yuch - I despise throwing up. I can handle a lot (cuts, bruises, blood, injections, diarhea, etc) but I HATE vomitting. blech!

I will try another one tonight.

I use a detox recipe I read on the boards here somewhere: two cups Epsom salts and four bottles hydrogen peroxide dissolved into a hot/warm bath. I dry brush my skin to get the lymph moving before I get in.

I increased the amount of ingredients because I gained so much weight and there's a lot more fat tissue for the toxins to get drawn out through.

Tomorrow I try to quit smoking again.

Peace and health to all.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Mickie

Glad to hear you are making progress.

I have heard of people having a hard time with the detox bath. I hope you can ease into it. I am thinking that has been part of my problem - not enough detoxing. I was using my sauna when I got it in April until it got hot out. I have started again so I am hoping that will help. Have to get one of those brushes. Have you used any of Dr J's detox products? I am going to look into that too.

What made you suspect bartonella? I was tested for bart and babs and both were neg. I had babs though and treated it for 4 months and symptoms seem to be gone. Wonder if I have another co-infection like bart?

Closed Thread