It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
(male)

ryanbabs HB User
Type of antibiotic for neuro symptoms...

What type of antibiotic do LLMDs usually use for this? I have had neuro symptoms for about 3 years now...positive Igenex also.

I have appointment with Dr. M in Bedford, TX next month. has anyone seen him, and could you share your experiences?

Thanks.

Ryan

Last edited by ryanbabs; 09-09-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: Type of antibiotic for neuro symptoms...

Hi ryanbabs, I think the two most important things to know about getting rid of neurosymptoms are that you need to have a high enough dose of the antibiotic to cross the blood brain barrier, regardless of which antibiotic you are using. And secondly, you need to clear out neurotoxins by detoxifying.

In my experience, the kind of antibiotic you use is not as important. Just use whatever antibiotic that seems to be working to kill lyme and whatever coinfections you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi ryanbabs.

I agree with sleeperowken, it may not be the name of the antibiotic that is as impotant as the dose and the duration.

I tried 5 or 6 drugs before I found one that works for me.

I had severe neurological symptoms: memory loss, facial numbness, trouble speaking, complete loss of vestibular system and a constant "drunk" feeling.

I do feel better than I did last year, so hang in there! One of the things that has helped me the most was treating my co-infection of Bartonella.

I haven't heard of Dr. M - sry.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
(female)

earle HB User

i am sorry to say that i have not heard positive things. i will not go into detail.

please let me know how your appointment goes.

i do know he has problems with insurance billings, double billings, etc. so be very careful and discuss this completely before you go in. also document your visits, types of treatment, etc.

again, all i can say is be careful. there is a wonderful doctor in pineville by the name of forrester that many people go to. it's difficult for me to go out of state.

i see dr. catherine colquitt at the fort worth clinic. she's compassionate, caring and willing to learn.

i'd suggest giving her a try of this doesn't work out.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
(male)

ryanbabs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earle
i am sorry to say that i have not heard positive things. i will not go into detail.

please let me know how your appointment goes.

i do know he has problems with insurance billings, double billings, etc. so be very careful and discuss this completely before you go in. also document your visits, types of treatment, etc.

again, all i can say is be careful. there is a wonderful doctor in pineville by the name of forrester that many people go to. it's difficult for me to go out of state.

i see dr. catherine colquitt at the fort worth clinic. she's compassionate, caring and willing to learn.

i'd suggest giving her a try of this doesn't work out.
I saw Dr. Colquitt last year, and she really is a great doctor. She tested me for everything, but continued to tell me she did not think I have Lyme's. She re-tested the ELISA, which is always negative. The Igenex is the only positive I've had.

She tried me on one month of single dose, 100 mg (I believe) Doxcycline, but it did nothing. From all I've read, neuro-Lyme must be treated intravenously, and probably another drug.

I would like to think I don't have Lyme's, but I cannot ignore the fact that I'm still not normal, and she has done about all she will do. She also had nothing good to say about Dr. M...not sure if she knows him or not.

I have seen my regualr neuro 4 times, another neuro, and her...the only thing she ever found is that I have sleep apnea, and my ANA is always positive at 1:80 for over 2 years.

All these doctors think my problem is just anxiety...I've been on Xanax 1-1/2 years, yet I am not better...actually probably worse, and need someone to help.

Where is Pineville, and where can I find out about Dr. Forrester?

Last edited by ryanbabs; 09-14-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi ryanbabs:

I have mostly neurologic symptoms, some joint and muscle pain. I tested negative on the Elisa and positive WB at Igenex. I did 10 months of orals and am now on Rocpehin plus Ketek. It has only been a couple of days, but I can already feel this doing things that they orals never did, even after the first dose.

My biggest issues have been vision and balance and about 6 hours after the I.V. I feel like I am on a boat. I am really hoping that this is going to do the trick, but many people do get better on orals. I just can't drive more than a mile or two (it's been 14 months now) and I really need to get that back...

Good luck and let us know if you have questions.

Frango

Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
(female)

earle HB User

ryan, i wish i could be more positive about that doctor, however, all i can say is try him and see what you think. my experience (and i know others) have not been good. but that doesn't mean you won't like him.

as for forrester, i do know about 3 right now that have left the dfw area and gone to him. they stay overnight in a hotel. they seem to like him very much.

check the yellow pages or call the toll free telephone number and they can help you out.

i think there is a dfw support group that meets at the baylor hospital once a month. call the hospital and ask about this group and they can put you in touch with their leader, a wonderful woman who right now is very very ill. i wish i could give you her name but will not due to privacy issues.

surf the net and look for a group for dfw lymies. don't know their web site or how to get there.

bioresonance is new but i've been hearing a lot of positive things about it.

i'm still going to colquitt as i had a most definitive rash. she told me she could never duplicate igenex too, but because of the rash and my symptoms she took me on. she tried the doxy, couldn't take that, got massive yeast infection, tried diflucan, liver went haywire, now i'm on cipro twice a day. keep in touch and if you do go see dr. m., please keep me posted.

hugs

Last edited by earle; 09-19-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Closed Thread