It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User
Infectious disease dr. tommorrow

Well tommorrow i go to my infectious disease dr. I was also bit by another tick last night. ugh. Well please pray for me. Im so scared im gonna go in there and say "i don't know what you have." I hope he'll atleast put me on some antibiotic. Or start some kind of treatment. I don't know if you all know this, but the govonor of tennessee was bit by a tick and is having the exact same problems i have.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: Infectious disease dr. tommorrow

Good luck tomorrow. I hope you have a good appointment and that the doctor listens to you.

I thought I had read on another post that the TN Gov. is having health trouble and it might be Lyme. I hope you both get answers soon.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. Try not to be nervous.

Peace and health to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi eclipse27. Are you in TN?

Please realize that infectious disease doctors are often not the best to see for tick-borne illnesses. Not to say the one you see will not be knowledgeable, but be prepared in case.

How did you remove the tick you found? Did you save it? If so, it can be tested for disease at IgeneX Lab in Palo Alto, CA.

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how your appointment goes okay?

Old 09-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User

no i didn't save it. And i know infectious disease isn't hte best to go to. But we can't find a llmd in my area. Im in alabama not tn. But i live close to the border. And have been goign to vanderbilt hopstial alot in tennessee. I really really just have a gut feeling all this was from the tick bite. I just wish someone would follow my hunch. Well i'll keep you posted to what he says. Im prolly gonna loose my scholarship if i don't get better.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User

no i didn't save it. And i know infectious disease isn't hte best to go to. But we can't find a llmd in my area. Im in alabama not tn. But i live close to the border. And have been goign to vanderbilt hopstial alot in tennessee. I really really just have a gut feeling all this was from the tick bite. I just wish someone would follow my hunch. Well i'll keep you posted to what he says. Im prolly gonna loose my scholarship if i don't get better.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi eclipse27. I live in TN, and I definitely would not recommend going to Vanderbilt. Many people here who have Lyme, including myself, have had bad experiences with their infectious disease doctors. Is this where your appointment is tomorrow?

There is a Lyme doctor in Mobile. I have heard mixed reviews about him, including that he does not test for co-infections (which is very important). If you would like his name, let me know. Otherwise the closest doctor to AL that I know of who comes highly recommended would be either in Springfield, MO, or Huntersville, NC. If you would like one of these names let me know.

Can you talk to someone at your school and let them know what is going on? Maybe your scholarship could be deferred for a couple of semesters until you can get treated and feeling better.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Eclipse
Hope you get some answers tomorrow. But as Ticker said, the dr might be infectious disease but doesn't mean LLMD. I see an infectious disease in Huntersville NC who is also a LLMD. This is the one Ticker is taking about. I do highly recommend him.

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. Wishing you the best, but just remember there are other Dr's if this one doesn't work out.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 09-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User

No my infectious disease is here in huntsville. I've heard great reviews about him. How he works with you, and trys medication for you to see if it helps. So well see how he is. Vanderbilts always been so friendly and thoro. Its just i feel like im getting the run around. But i mean there really good in my opinion. I just hope i get somewhere tommorrow. As for my scholarship if i don't play this up coming year its void. Which means i need to get well soon and start lifting and training again.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi eclipse27,

Hopefully all goes well with your appointment. I like to think that slowly some of the rest of the medical establishment is at least beginning to open their eye to this disease, but there is still a long way to go. As others here have mentioned, you never know what sort of reaction you are going to get from some of these people but hopefully yours will go well.

In the event that you don't get the help you need there, do keep trying as there is good help available, it just can be tough to find.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User

Well I just got home and the result is...

he put me on doxy. Hes not saying it is lyme, hes not saying its not. He said at this point you have been tested for everything. Lets try to treat it as lyme with some doxy. If thats not it, i want you to go to a rematalogist *i know i spelled it wrong*. So im on a month a doxy with a refill. He warned me to be extremely careful about what i read online concering lyme. And i quote "most people are full of it" lol. Well he said the salt c protocol was ridiculous. I told him i was reading about it (not that i was practicing it). Anyways im just glad im on doxy i just pray this works. THanks for all the encouragement!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Eclipse....glad to hear he put you on antibiotics...BUT.....as long as you have had it now it is in your WHOLE body...a months worth will not kill it all off...and Lyme goes into MANY stages of it's life you need more than just ONE antibiotic....but this is a start...if it is lyme you aren't done....sorry kiddo...

Did he take any blood work to send it to Igenex??? Or to test there for lyme??

As you can see also this doctor is NOT up on Lyme....for one THE REMARK HE MADE....hate to tell him the people here on this board ARE MORE UP TO DATE ON TREATMENTS OUT THERE....and What it is like to have Lyme....ALSO.....the remark about the Salt protocol....he has nooooo clue that there are other treatments out there besides antibioctics....careful Eclipse you can't ALWAYS belive what doctors say when they are NO idea about a certain disease...Obviously this salt protocol is working for some or they wouldn't be on this board saying it is helping....hmmmmm.....

Not scolding you....I am HOPING AND PRAYING for you that this works.....

hugs!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User

well i go back in 3 weeks i think it is. So if im contining to get better i think he'll keep me on it. Atleast thats the impression i got. I know hes not "as up to date" as you say, but hey atleast im getting treatment. Just out of curiousty. How often after taking doxy do you begin to feel relief? And should i continue taking the salt c with the doxy? Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi eclipse27. What dose of Doxy will you be taking? Did he test you for the co-infections?

A few tips about Doxy. Do not have any dairy, magnesium or iron products two hours before or after taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. If it makes you nauseous, eat something substantial and non-dairy before taking it. Avoid the sun. You can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is very painful! Drink a full glass of water when you take it for the same reason.

Whenever you take any antibiotics, make sure you take high-quality acidophilus capsules. They replace the good bacteria in the body and help to prevent yeast overgrowth (which men and women can both get). The best ones to get are refrigerated. Most healthfood stores have them. Wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus.

Be aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

It is a good idea to document your symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Glad your doc has you on medication and seems willing to keep you on it for as long as neccessary. As for how long until you notice relief, that depends on too many different factors to be able to say for sure. It depends on how long you've had the infection, how far disseminated it is (neuro-related infections often cannot be reached with oral medication), which if any co-infections you have (some, such as Babesiosis, are not true bacteria, they are piroplasms and not susceptible to the same medications), and your individual body chemistry and state of health. The important thing is staying on meds long enough. Hopefully the right amount of doxy will work.

If no one's mentioned it already, there is an excellent book, 'Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Diseases' by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner. Also if there is a Lyme support group in your area you may want to contact them as well.

As for alternative remedies, different things work for different people. Doctors are gradually becoming more aware of the benefits of some of these treatments but many are not interested in discussing them because they haven't taken the time to learn anything about them. If you do continue using salt/C make sure you time it so that you aren't taking either within 2 hours of the doxy to avoid any interference. Incidently one of my doctors (who is very open-minded when it comes to holistic modalities) does not recommend using salt/C without having your sodium/potassium levels closely monitored. There are a number of herbal treatments that can be used alongside antibiotics (just don't take them within 2 hours of meds) and some have had good results with traditional Chinese medicine.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Hi
Glad your dr put you on doxy. Be prepared if you start feeling worse. Herxing is not good. But it is a sign that the doxy is killing the bacteria. Also about the Co-infections. You do need to be tested if you haven't been. They do affect treatment and recovery. All the others have given you such good info, I won't repeat it. But hang in there.

We're here to help.

Prayers...Marsha

Closed Thread