It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
(male)

cooty HB User
white tongue

Hi guys.
I have a white tongue. It looks like a white fungal matter that's mostly concentracted on the top of my tongue near my throat. I tested positive for lyme from IGENEX / and positive for a very week strain of babasia from Lab Corp (igenex came negative for babesia). I am currently taking 500mg/day of minocycline and just started flagile.

Does anyone here have similar crap on there tongue?

It seems to come and go now but it was always there before I started the antibiotics.

Cooty.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Re: white tongue

Hi,

It probably is fungal matter, though only a medical practitioner can make that determination. The antibiotics may have aggravated the condition, if it had been present before you began meds. Also, having an on-going infection such as Lyme can over-tax the immune system and make you more susceptible to fungal overgrowth.

There is a medication, Nystatin, that can help with this. It is rather foul tasting, however, and you have to rinse your mouth out with it about four times a day. Some natural fungicides are Golden Seal and Horsetail (an herb). Taking a probiotic will help keep the balance by replenishing the good bacteria which keep fungi in check. Sometimes Diflucan is needed to kill off some fungal infections. Avoiding sugars, refined flour products, fruits, and acidifying foods can also help to retard yeast overgrowth.

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 09-10-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Yeast!!! That happens to me too. I use tea tree oil in my mouth for that problem, usually brush it on with my toothbrush. I also take Dr. Jernigan's Yeast East product and that works great against systemic yeast. A lot of times if it is on your tongue, it is in other places too.

Diflucan and ketoconazole are prescriptions that you can take to kill yeast. Caprylic acid is a natural yeast killer, and garlic is a great antifungal also.

Try to read up on the candida diet plans so that you know what foods aggravate the problem (mostly sugar) and stay away from those foods. Good quality acidopholus a.k.a probiotics is a must. Take them every day, but not at the same time as your antibiotics. I use Healthy Trinity brand. They are expensive, but very effective.

Don't ignore yeast, it can become a real problem if you let it go too long.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
(male)

cooty HB User

I already take three pills of nystatin per day + double doze of natren healthy trinity. I've been slacking on the natren though.

Is this in any way associated with lyme or does it just occur at random ?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

You may want to switch to the liquid Nystaten as it is more effective for treating oral fungal infections.

This condition can occur due to the antibiotics killing off the "good" bacteria along with the pathogenic ones, thus upsetting the balance which normally holds yeasts in check. It is not a symptoms of Lyme per se, however when the body becomes run down due to a major infection, such as Lyme or other disease such as AIDS for instance, the weakened state of the immune response and overall systemic imbalance can allow fungal infections to flare up.

Closed Thread