It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

bettysmithers HB User
Igenex?

I have read all over the Web and these postings about Igenex. I know it is a lab in Calif that tests for Lyme in a different manner than most family doctors. I have tested with both "regular" tests and both came back negative now and the family doctor has me on Doxycycline because she had Lyme several years ago. My question is, how do you get blood drawn locally without a doctor prescrbing the test and get the blood to Igenex?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: Igenex?

Hi bettysmithers, that is a very good question. Unfortunately, you can't get any lab readings from Igenex without a doctors signature. When I want to use Igenex, here's how I do it (I had to get tested and then I had to get co-infection tests and then I had to get my two kids tested) so ...I just call Igenex and ask them to send me the test that I want. You need to know what you want and what you're trying to do. You can get their number very easily online, or call the toll free operator and ask for the toll free number for Igenex in Palo Alto, California. Igenex will mail the test directly to you free of charge no questions asked. However, it is useless to you until you get a doctor to sign off on the requisition. Also, Igenex won't reveal the results to you, only to the doctor.

Some of their tests are blood tests and some are urine tests. You just need to get a doctor who will follow through and you need to be willing to do all the legwork. Otherwise, you will have to get to a good LLMD who will take care of all of this for you.

Good luck, let us know how you make out with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I'd like to add. When your doctor gets a copy of the results. You need to get a copy from him. I actually found more info on it. Like it said that neg is neg. But ind is that a band is showing but it is weak. I had many bands from Igenex westernblot that were indeterminate last year. Two months ago when I had the bullseye rash, they sent my blood to Diag. Medical Lab for a
western blot. It did show up positive bands.

I just recently did what someone on here awhile back recommended. Mickie might remember who. To make a file folder and put all you records, labs, notes, anything that relates in the file.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi guys.

It was Kim (lymegirl) who had the great organizational suggestion. A lime green three ring binder with sections for all sorts of papers - test results, receipts, reports, notes, charts, etc.

I was tested at Igenex, but I was already seeing an LLMD at the time so I didn't have to go get a signature.

Maybe a general doc would sign for it? Or the local hospital?

Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

bettysmithers HB User

Thanks for the info...one more question. I called Igenex yesterday to order a kit, they asked me what test I wanted....how to I begin to know what test I want. I didnt realize there was so many.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

The test I had done there was the WesternBlot IGG & IGM for lyme. Hope that helps. You might want to include the co-infections. But I had that done at a different lab that was covered under my insurance. Igenex was not. It was out of pocket about $200 if I remember right for the lyme testing. There are many other tests available at Igenex and someone will come on an advise you about those.

Prayers...Marsha

Closed Thread