It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User
Doxy

Well as i said in my last post i've finally been put on doxy. I was just cursious to peoples experiences with this. I on 100 mg twice daily. I've noticed my symptoms have flared up alil. And i feel really drained. I've only had 3 pills. Again we still don't know if i have lyme or not. But hes treating me for it. Usually how long did it take you before you really felt results. I know it takes awhile. But i feel more drained now then i did a few days ago.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Doxy

Hi Eclipse...here is the barrer of bad news...ready?

HE DOESN'T HAVE YOU ON STRONG ENOUGH DOSE....it needs to be 400-600 a day...PLUS...he needs to put you on something else for the other stages of lyme....BUT....

Like we know this is a start....are you writing down your daily symptoms...like the pain levels...then you have a diary to go back to and say wow I really felt like SUPER CRAP when I started the antibiotics....I also suggest reading the sheet the pharmacy sent home...for the side effects of doxy...you need to do this for ALLLLL YOUR MED'S....also I found it good to get on the internet and pull up each medication you take ...print the info out if you need to...I found things like...antibiotics can cause depression...fatigue...things that I never knew before....

WEll I goofed when I was on doxy....I went in the sun...I mean I burn anyway.... but I cooked on doxy....so just wear your sunscreen....

maybe a low dose is good to start off with anyway...maybe you will beable to tell if you start really feeling worse than you already do...then you can just about guarentee you have lyme...the good old HERX...and I just want you to realize that Doxy may not be the right antibiotic for you....beings the doctors don't know which bacteria in the Lyme group you have or any co-infections...or whatever else you got....so just be aware you most likely will have to keep playing the combination game see what works best....

Remember to keep a daily record of your activities...it helps to keep looking back and seeing where you were and were you are now....

Good Luck Kiddo!!
Hugs........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

JENZEY HB User

Hi, I too just started taking Doxy. It's been 16 days, 100 mg. twice a day. I tested positive for lymes and am still waiting for the results of the western blot. I feel horrible, I am so exhausted it's such a struggle to get through a day @ work. I am having alot of problems with my eyes. I saw an infectious disease Dr. last Thursday and they took 4 more tubes of blood to do additional testing. I have been sick for so long, I just want to feel normal again. Since taking the Doxy I don't feel any better. It seems that alot of people on this forum take much higher doses. I'm wondering if 100 mg. does any good. I hope you feel better soon, take care

Old 09-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Jensey...if your lyme test came back positive then you have lyme...100 2 times a day is not enough...and it takes many months to years to start feeling better...Depending if how long you have had it...any co-infections...if the doctors have you on the right medications and dosages....

Like I suggested to Eclipse rememeber to read all of the side effects of ANY medication...

Hope you start to pick up soon....good luck to you....

Old 09-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
(female)

JENZEY HB User

Thanks JoJo, I heard that sometimes you can get a false positive, is that true. That's why I'm really anxious about getting the results of the western blot back, to confirm. Does that test take a long time, it's been almost 2 weeks and my dr. said they still don't have the results. When I was 14 I had 2 tick bites and 2 bullseyes. I was never tested and was just given a antibiotic for 30 days. That was 15 years ago (I will be 29 next Wednesday) I have never really had any problems over the years. This past March I started feeling really sick. (fatigue, night sweats, facial flushing, heart palpitations, dull ache and warm sensation in my lypmh nodes just to name a few) I had all kinds of tests everything came back normal. I started feeling better then about 2 months ago I started feeling sick again. My dr. ordered more tests & this time he tested me for lymes. I don't understand how I could have had lymes for this long and it's just now starting to effect me. I have so many questions.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi eclipse27. 200 mg of Doxy is not strong enough for Lyme. I believe the recommended dose is 300-600 mg daily. It is very important to get the proper treatment. Untreated or under-treated Lyme disease can be serious.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi JENZEY. As stated above, 200 mg of Doxy is not strong enough for Lyme. I believe the recommended dose is 300-600 mg daily. Untreated or under-treated Lyme can be serious.

You really need to see a Lyme doctor and be tested for the co-infections. Many of your symptoms sound like Babesiosis. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi eclipse27 and JENZEY,

Just repeating what Ticker just said.

JENZEY- If you had a bullseye rash(es), you have Lyme disease. The bullseye, also known as an erythema migrans or EM, is sufficient for a diagnosis. However, if you don't have photographs of the rashes or if they aren't actually seen by a physician, it can make getting a correct diagnosis difficult. As it is, even an actual EM is sometimes misdiagnosed. The EM can take on other forms beside a bullseye, it can resemble a line, a bruise, it can be raised or not, it may be hot and itchy or it may not. Many people, as many as 60% never have any rash at all.

The Lyme organism, Borrelia burgdorferi, can disseminate deep into the body tissues. There, it can remain dormant for years only to flare up at some later time. Usually this occurs during a period in which the immune system is weakened, such as a time of stress, other illness, etc. It is also possible to get re-infected with Lyme. Once Lyme has disseminated, a certain amount of it remains in the body and there is no way to know if it is ever eliminated. Not sure if anyone already suggested this, but Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner's book, 'Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Diseases' is tremendously helpful.

As Ticker mentioned, ticks can carry several other co-infections and it is vitally important to test and treat for them. Babesiosis can be serious, and since it is a piroplasm and not a true bacterium it is not susceptible to some medications and is sometimes treated with Mepron or anti-malarial medications.

There is an herbal treatment you may want to try, though not as a substitute for competent medical evaluation and care. Artemesisin is an herb used for centuries to treat malaria and today the World Health Organization recommends it as the first choice in treating drug resistant strains of malaria in certain countries. Allergy Research Group makes the one I've used (for Babesiosis) and while I was initially very skeptical it's been very helpful. Some of your symptoms do sound like Babesiosis. You could always try the Artemesinin, at best it will help and at worst it just won't do anything. 1 capsule 3x a day, for three weeks, then take a week off, then repeat.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

eclipse27 HB User

Well i greatly appreciate all your support and advice. And i don't mean to sound like an a$$ but what exactly am i suppose to do then? I mean if i stay on doxy for awhile will that help? I've noticed im feeling better already. Also keep in mind i've never shown positive for lyme. Maybe i have something else from a tick? Again im hoping the dr. is just putting me on a low dose to c my reactions, then he will bump up the dosage from there. Thanks for everything all .

Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

And Good Day to you..... Eclipse there are ALOT of people that NEVER show a positive....and yes you could have co-infections from the ticks as well....NONE of my test EVER came out positive for lyme or any co-infections....you have to do your research and see if you have these kinds of symptoms...if you do then 99 percent chance you have it....beings you are on doxy....this is a step in the right direction...but your battle isn't most likely over...You need to keep on top of it....and find a doctor that will go on your symptoms....CALL AROUND different areas around you and see if any of the doctors understand Lyme...this is the only way you are going to get better....

Did the Infectious Disease doctor take blood work???? did you ask him to send blood to Igenex in Palo Alto...you need to take this bull by the horns and do alot of foot work....I KNOW it is hard...but you need to do things like this or you won't be welll for school.....

Big Hug to you!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Quote:
And i don't mean to sound like an a$$ but what exactly am i suppose to do then?
Not sure, really. If that's all that your doc will give you I don't know what else you can do other than find a different doctor.
Quote:
I mean if i stay on doxy for awhile will that help? I've noticed im feeling better already.
There's only one way to find out. Whether or not a low dosage for a short period will really help wipe it out or merely weaken it temporarily, I don't know. If it helps, great. A lot of things really depend on how far disseminated the infection is, how long you've had it and whether or not you have neurological involvement.

The recommended dosage is 200-400 mgs. for 4-6 weeks IF it is caught within 2 weeks of the initial onset of infection. The reason some authorities recommend 6 weeks as opposed to shorter courses is that there seems to be a much higher rate of recurrance in those treated for shorter periods of time. Once the disease is disseminated it becomes more complicated to treat and takes much longer. In other words, you're not going to wipe out a 3 year infection in 3 weeks.

There is NO test which can absolutely rule out Lyme. The most frequently performed test, the ELISA, misses over 60% of cases. The more accurate test, the Western Blot, is still not completely reliable and is generally only given if you have a positive ELISA. Which makes no sense at all but there you have it. So in other words a negative test does NOT always mean that you don't have Lyme. For this reason, the CDC states that Lyme is supposed to be a clinical diagnosis with the test used to help confirm.

Some reasons why a test can come back negative in a Lyme infected patient:

1. The sample was taken too soon after infection for your immune system to have mounted a defense.

2. You are producing a detectable level of antibodies, but the lab made an error.

3. You are producing antibodies to a strain of Borrelia burgdorfiri (Lyme) that the lab cannot detect (for the record, there are over 200 strains in the US alone)

4. You are producing antibodies, but they are bound to they Lyme bacteria (called a complexed antibody) without enough free-floating antibodies in the bloodsteam to be detectable.

5. Your immune system is compromised and not responding properly.

6. By taking antibiotics early in the disease, the immune response may have been aborted.

7. The bacterium has changed its makeup and the immune system hasn't noticed it.

8. The bacterium is cloaking itself inside an immune system cell thereby escaping detection.

9. You have a genetic predisposition to produce a negative test, as shown by Drs. Wang and Hilton in their 2001 publication.

In the largest Lyme disease trial ever conducted (for the Lyme disease vaccine trial for Lymerix) which included 10,000 participants, it was found that 36% of the volunteers with proven Lyme disease (culture or DNA positive) never developed a positive Western Blot.

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 09-13-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Greetings guys!

I have been on Doxy, 600mg per day, for 10 months. I began to feel an improvement after 3 months of it.

I'm tired so I can't type too much right now. Gee - no surprise to hear that in a Lyme healthboard. LOL

Peace and health to all,
Mickie

p.s. Tinuviel, I have to say how well you write. You are very eloquent and it's to read & understand your words.

Closed Thread