It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User
what is the normal range for cd57 count?

hi guys...i just got a copy of a letter dr m is sending to my diablity company - the one i am appealing since they stopped my benefits back in july. anyway in the letter it talks about my cd57 count...i am wondering what the normal range is? he told me at my last visit, but i've forgotten. it says that i have a cd57 count of 4%. i know it's bad, but what does that signal? does it just mean that my immune system is nonexistant?

hope some of yall can shed some light on this for me.

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User
Re: what is the normal range for cd57 count?

Hi Shanna

Glad to see you posting lately.

I have my CD57 done at Labcorp and the results are a # not a %. The normal range for them is 60-360 with 200 being where it should be. My 1st # was 11, then went to 9 this past March and up to 22 in Sept. Still very very low but going in the right direction.

Different labs probablty have different criteria. What lab did your Dr use?

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

hmm, i'm wondering it the percentage is really just a number. or maybe the percentage means my levels are only at 4% of what they should be, maybe using that range you gave? hmmm.... anyway i do know that the test was done through quest. i'm not to terribly worried about figuring it out, i can just ask him next week at my appt. but i was just curious.

thanks for the post lymegirl. glad to see you too. how have you been lately?

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

I haven't had mine done for quite a while and I THINK it was 107 which the doc said was "OK".....

Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

I am not sure if this is correct, but I believe "normal", i.e. non-Lyme infected person, is supposed to be over 200. For Lyme patients, they "like" to see it over 100. That's why it can be really scary if you have a lower number.

Here, though, is what my doctor said about CD-57. It is NOT always an accurate indicator of how sick/well a patient is. He says just because the CD-57 is over 100 does not neccessarily mean that a person is "well" and that he has seen people extremely ill who had higher CD-57s. On the other hand, he does not want people with low CD-57s to panic and fear that their immune system is shot because he has seen people with lower numbers recover. I am not sure what role co-infections have in all of this. In any event, what he was saying is that while the CD-57 can be a useful tool, it is not the be-all-and-end-all indicator of a person's state of health.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Tory, welcome to the board!

Are you seeing Dr. P? Were you tested for all the co-infections also?

Dr. Joseph Burrascano discusses the CD-57 in his treatment guidelines. When tested at Lab Corp, he says a normal count is above 200 and that doctors want Lyme patients to have a count over 60. He states that the number does not progressively increase over time, but it will remain low until the infection is controlled and then it will jump. If someone is sick and has a high count, they likely are co-infected.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Welcome Tory

Glad you found us. It is good you are seeing Dr P. He knows alot about the relationship between MS and lyme. I saw him for a 2nd opinion, but he is to far for me to see on a monthly basis. I see Dr E in the Jersey Shore area and she is very knowledgable too.

When you have a chance tell us about yourself. Were you dx with MS? How long have you been dx with MS and with lyme?

Dr P recommended a neuro in CT near him who he says knows about lyme. After putting that visit off for quite awhile I am finally making the trip to see him this week. Do you know Dr W, a neuro in the Norfolk area? I haven't been able to find any neuros near me that know much about lyme, so we'll check it out. He's in my ins which helps.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Lymegirl:

I believe that neuro is in Norwalk - went to Dr. W. several times after being referred by Dr. P.

I suggest to anyone going to him, the first visit is quite long and can be very confusing if your brain is not geared up, take pen & paper with you. He's very intellectual but thorough and there's a lab downstairs....

Closed Thread