It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
(male)

SJaz13 HB User
Pregnant wife, suspect lymes

Aloha! We were transferd to Stanford from Hawaii because of my wifes medical condition. No one on the island seemed to care untill she got pregnant. She has about 5 years woth of hospital stays and tests with out a clear diagnoisis. We took the Igenex test last year, and she came up posative for babesia. The infectious disease Dr. at Stanford dismissed it, of course. If she does indeed have lymes, will this pass on to my child? I contacted Dr. Green, a lymes Dr., but the $500 intinal visit is more than we can afford. We had to pack up our lives and move here where we do not know anyone, so we are having a hard time financialy. Part of her illness is extreme sensativity to scents, and sounds. The hotel is hard on her, and she is looking for me to make things right for her. The Dr.s and social workers do not seem to care, or treat us like we are ungrateful. Sorry to get off topic, we fight too much over our situation, and instead of being excited about our baby I am feeling dread at having two people to take care with no help in sight. If anyone knows of a Dr. somewhat in the south bay area that may be willing to work with us, or have any info on lymes spreading to the womb, I'd be most greatfull. Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to SJaz13:
MotherofPiper (01-24-2011)
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Pregnant wife, suspect lymes

Hi SJaz13, welcome to the board

Congratulations on the pregnancy! How far along is your wife?

Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the
bite of an infected tick. It can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms.
Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

If you wife was positive for Babesiosis, she likely has Lyme disease also. It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not
understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely
reliable, and results can vay by lab. Lyme needs continuous, aggressive treatment. Besides Lyme and Babesiosis, ticks can also transmit several other infections Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Lyme disease can be passed through pregnancy and breastfeeding (and so can Babesiosis). It is important for a pregnant woman with these diseases to be treated with a safe antibiotic throughout the pregnancy and not breastfeed to minimize transmission. Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT is the best Lyme pediatrician in the country. He has a lot of experience with Lyme and pregnancy. I highly recommend calling his office for advice. He and his staff are wonderful. Maybe he could consult with your wife's doctor.

The other Lyme doctors in CA that I know of besides Dr. Green are Dr. Raphael Stricker in San Francisco and Dr. Steven Harris in Palo Alto (he has offices in a few other locations in CA also). I know it is expensive to see these doctors, but it is so important to get properly treated. Do you have family or friends who could help you out?

Hang in there okay? Your wife is lucky to have your support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
(male)

SJaz13 HB User

Thats pretty scarey to say the least. Next week I will make a renewed effort to find a lymes Dr. She has a lot of those symtems. About 4 years ago UCSF got tired of seeing her in the ER every weekend for vomitting, so they put her on Fentynal. I think the later is why Hawaii told us to have the child else where. The part that really sucks is no one wants to do much testing on her while she is pregnant, so the fact it may be passed on seems to be beyond them. She is due early March, so we will see. Funny that IgeneX is here in Palo Alto yet the resident at Stanford never heard of them, or had a high opinion of any lab outside of Stanford.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

fotomom HB User

from a prego person.. if you suspect lyme and you ahve + test then your wife should be on ABX to prevent your child from getting lyme. Raising a sick child is not fun espically if your wife has lyme. Its also known to be sexually transmitted so you all could end up where my family was 5 years ago....

i dont' mean to scare you but you need ot be informed.

Money is nothing when you have your health to care for.... trust me.... we are going slowly into debt each month to "cure" us (as much as a "cure" will happen) so we can live a productive healthy life... so far we are winning the battle a few yearr into treatment and living a healthy lifestyle..!

if your in Northern Calif you have acess to some of the best LLMDs... your very lucky!

no testing while prego.... don't bother as her antibodies are all out of control... save your money for testing of products of conception and on your wife a year after she gives birth! Hopefully she is feeling well! I went into full remission this pregnancy, but have been plagued with UTI's so I trade one thing for another!

Last edited by fotomom; 01-18-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typos

Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
(male)

SJaz13 HB User

Thanks for the info... never thought about it being sexually transmitted. She is so close to delivery, about 6 weeks, that we are waiting untill then to start looking for treatment. She has alot of sensativities to herbs and medications, so at this point we decided keeping her stable is best. We will update as things progress

Closed Thread