It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
(male)

cooty HB User
minocycline and flagyl

Hi guys!
I was doing really good on minocycline for quite some time now. I was able to tolerate it really well. I was taking 600 mg. per day for as long as 3 weeks straight.

After having taken 4 days of flagile, I was no longer able to tolerate minocycline. Maybe 2 days at the most. I didn't take any other meds at that time.

So I took 20 days minocycline. Then I took 4 days flagyl. Then I took two days off. Then I took 2 days minocycline and felt REALLY BAD. This has happened at least five times in a row. After taking falyl, it takes at least a month to get back to where i was before with minocycline. Everything else if fine.

My question is does flagyl kill cystic lyme completely? or does it also realese it into a state where minocycline kills it and I am just feeling the die off?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: minocycline and flagyl

I believe flagyl helps break open the cycst...

And it sounds as if you are going through a good ole herx...

My doctor (s) have told me when taking antibiotics and flagyl...if things get real rocky just back off a little...then start it up full dose after things calm down...

Are you drinking alot of fluids...taking dextox baths...I also hear getting in a sauna helps release the dead toxins...you might also look into Dr. Jernigan's CNS tonic...it helps with the toxins from the die off...

Hope things get better for you soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

lymiesarah HB User
Wink Re: minocycline and flagyl

flagyls job is just to irritate the cyst form so the lyme will come out of it, and then it is the job of whatever other antibiotic you are taking to kill what then comes from the cyst. so it's really not that you aren't able to tolerate the mino anymore it's really that you are just having a reaction from the die off of what was in the cyst .... it feels like SH**! but like martha stewart would tell you- it's a good thing.

-sarah

Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Correct, the Flagyl is the cyst buster drug, though the Minocycline does a good job of getting into the tissues. By LLMD has me on Tindamax (basically a 2nd generation Flagyl, and it has fewer side effects and is MORE effective). See this study:

http://www.im.microbios.org/26June04/09%20Brorson.pdf

I had some pretty nasty herxes and peripheral tingling with Flagyl, and I seem to be tolerating the Tindamax well so far.

Flagyl seems to leave 1-5% of the cysts alive apparently according to that study.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi cooty. I agree that it sounds like you are herxing from the Flagyl. Flagyl can cause intense herxes for some people. What dose did you start off with? Some people need to start off with a low dose and build up.

I am currently taking Tinidazole with Minocycline and it is helping a lot. Tinidazole is similiar to Flagyl also with fewer side effects. They do work on the cyst form of Lyme. I have had very strong herxes on this combo.

Try to stick with it if you can. Hang in there okay?

Closed Thread