It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

FlaGal1 HB User
Question Update and ??

Well you were all right, Dr. C in Tampa is a wonderful person. So down to earth and could finish my sentences before I could. He has placed me on Ceftin 1,000 mg day, Zithromax 1,000 mg day and Tindamax 750 mg day. I also had a strange bubbly rash that had appeared that morning on my arm, he was concerned it "might" be shingles and took a culture. In the meantime he wants me on a mega 5 day does of Valtrex before I start the other abx's. This morning, the rash is almost gone and dried up, I have yet to start the Valtrex. I have read much here about Valtrex and not sure I should take it now.

They drew so much blood yesterday, that the veins in my arm gave out right at the end. OOOWWW..but they did get enough for all the various tests he is running.

He really wanted to start me on IV Rochpen (sp?), but agreed to try the oral's for 3 weeks, and see when I go back to him on the 2nd of April. I really hate the thought of a PICC line...but will do what it takes to get better.

I also need to get some probiotics..any suggestions on which ones?

I highly recommend Dr. C in Tampa if you are looking for a kind and caring LLMD that will listen to you and really seems to be up on his stuff. Your checkbook will be much lighter, but he is worth every penny I think!

Last edited by FlaGal1; 03-13-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: wrong words..so what's new?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Update and ??

Hi FlaGal. I am so glad your appointment went well and that you have a plan of action!

I suggest calling the doctor to tell him about the rash clearing up.

The best acidophilus to get are the ones that are refrigerated. Most health food stores have them. They usually list how many live cultures are contained. The higher the number, the better. Make sure you take them at least two hours apart from your antibiotics. It can take some juggling. I take antibiotics twice daily, in the morning and in the evening. I take my acidophilus and all supplements after eating lunch.

If you need to get a PICC line, do not worry. It sounds scary, but it is really easy to infuse the meds and maintain the line.

Good luck with your treatment, and be prepared to herx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
(female)

KateTheRiot HB User

If your doc will do IV therapy, I strongly suggest it. From what I've learned so far, that is the most likely to give you positive results. You should stay on IV at least 4 months and certainly another 2 months beyond when symptoms disappear completely.

I have been on orals for almost 2 years, and I am nowhere near remission, as far as I can tell. My youngest son was on orals for 18 months, came off to see if in remission, is symptomatic again.

As for probiotics, do get the blends, not just acidophilus, and get at least 50 billion per capsule. Refrigerated.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
(female)

bearsfan44 HB User

Yea FlaGal! I'm so happy for you. And yes, he's great and so is his staff. I wondered how your appt. was. Mine was great also. I'm starting the IV Rocephin (sp.) treatment soon. He doesn't take my insurance, so I have to go through my primary dr.
Dr. C's nurse talked me out of the picc line. I'm going to have something where you leave it in 4 days, have 3 days without it, then a home health nurse comes again to insert it for another 4 days, etc.
Good luck - sleep when you need to.
Lisa

Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
(female)

FlaGal1 HB User

Lisa-

How did your results come out? Not that it matters, I was just curious.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

bearsfan44 HB User

I had negatives; positives; 2 indeterminates; and some that had ++
He's great though - he'll discuss it in detail your next visit.
Good luck and keep me posted

Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

FlaGal1 HB User

Lisa-

Thanks for the encouragement. You too keep me posted on how you are doing. When do you go back to Dr. C? I go again on 4/2. I feel so very horrible this week and hate the thought of how I am going to feel once these abx's kick in. Thank god my husband is an angel and my children are on their own..Dr. C does take my insurance, well 60% and I pay 40%, so I will not have any problems with the IV drugs...still real hinky on that though. Afraid of infection. The hosp. where I live is NOT good and all I can see is me getting sick and them screwing up. Sigh. I guess I am trying to cross bridges I have yet to come to. Hope you have a "good" day.

Melody

Old 03-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
(female)

bearsfan44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGal1 View Post
Lisa-

Thanks for the encouragement. You too keep me posted on how you are doing. When do you go back to Dr. C? I go again on 4/2. I feel so very horrible this week and hate the thought of how I am going to feel once these abx's kick in. Thank god my husband is an angel and my children are on their own..Dr. C does take my insurance, well 60% and I pay 40%, so I will not have any problems with the IV drugs...still real hinky on that though. Afraid of infection. The hosp. where I live is NOT good and all I can see is me getting sick and them screwing up. Sigh. I guess I am trying to cross bridges I have yet to come to. Hope you have a "good" day.

Melody
Hi Melody - I made an appt in about 4 weeks, but I think I will have to change that - I need to look at their notes, but I think they wanted me to come 2-3 wks after starting the IV's. Try not to worry about the herx. Just keep telling yourself you are killing the bacteria! My husband is also wonderful. He's really picked up the slack. My son just turned 7 over the weekend - that's the hard part. I put the guilt on myself that I can't physically do as much with him as I want. You and I are fortunate to have found Dr. C. - Once the IV's kick-in, look out. You won't be able to keep us down. Have a wonderful day! Lisa

Closed Thread