It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
(female)

EternalBliss17 HB User
Got It!

So, I have Lyme, too.

I have my test results before me and I just dont understand them. I had a WB and on my test it says IGG- strand 41, IGM strand 41 and 23. I know 41 is flagellin and 23 is OSP. But, what does that mean? Does that give me insight on when I got it? How severe it is? etc.? ANyway, I am meeting wth Dr. Steven Phillips a LLMD on June 12th. But, I just wanted to see what anyone had to say.

ANy words of advice would be great!

THANKS. : )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Got It!

Hi EternalBliss, welcome to the board!

How long have you been sick? Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
12 specific for Bb
18 unknown
20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
21 unknown
22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
28 unknown
30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
one California strain
31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
35 specific for Bb
37 specific for Bb
38 cross-reactive for Bb
39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

The IgM tests for a more recent infection, the IgG a longer standing one. Band 41 is often the first to show, and yours is positive. Band 23-25 is a Lyme specific bands and yours is positive.

The CDC requires a large number of bands to show for it to be considered positive, yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands show. Lyme doctors often focus on which bands show, some are specific for Lyme. Your results are signifcant. Which lab did your testing?

It is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Lyme needs continuous, aggressive treatment. Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. The doctor you will be seeing comes very highly recommended.
It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

Good luck at your appointment! Let us know how it goes okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalBliss17 View Post
So, I have Lyme, too.

I have my test results before me and I just dont understand them. I had a WB and on my test it says IGG- strand 41, IGM strand 41 and 23. I know 41 is flagellin and 23 is OSP. But, what does that mean? Does that give me insight on when I got it? How severe it is? etc.? ANyway, I am meeting wth Dr. Steven Phillips a LLMD on June 12th. But, I just wanted to see what anyone had to say.

ANy words of advice would be great!

THANKS. : )
I have some advice for you with Dr. Phillips, since he is my LLMD. I don't know where you are driving from, but his Office is on Danbury road, it is between Danbury and Wilton, not actually in Wilton, keep driving on Danbury RD. His office is a log cabin, stained wood, not painted, and it is easy to miss, looks like a real estate office not dr's office. If you are coming From Wilton it is on your right, Danbury it's on your left. If you can fax all your previous labs to his office ahead of time, and bring copies with you. Dr. Phillips is very personable, but doesn't give you the amount of time that other LLMD's do. It is best to have your timeline written down in front of you so that you don't get confused, he is very thorough and asks hundreds of ?'s He is a very caring LLMD and is also open to your opinion, he won't just put you on med's, he discusses the pros and con's of each. He will expect you to know your symptoms well. At your second visit he will drill you on exactly when you started herxing, and what new symptoms you have, he expects you to be worse, and wants to know exactly what happened. This is a sign of a very good doctor, he pays great attention to detail and how you are progressing. I have sever left arm problems, and he expected them to get worse after ABX's. I told him they were the same, so he pres. a stronger ABX to add to my current one, because he says if the symptoms don't get worse at first the ABX's isn't doing it's job. I have complete faith in him as an LLMD, my first visit was $650.00 and he requires that you are either seen by him each month or have a phone consult. He will not renew your ABX's unless you do one of the two. Which also shows he is a good LLMD. The phone consult and the in office visit are the same price, $300.00. He is not a cheap LLMD by any means, but you get what you pay for! He also sends you to an independent lab for blood work, his prefered lab has offices in Waterbury and Branford (which is just east of New Haven) Good Luck, and if you have any m?'s about him feel free to ask. Sincerely, Sarah

Old 05-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

Thank you so much for your suggestions, information, and responses. I really appreciate it.

I was tested through ELISA. (although I am aware of its negative reputation).

Anyway, I was first diagnosed in August 2004 but onlt the 41K band was highlighted. My doctor was pretty aggressive and immediately put me on doxy for 2 months at 100mg (2x per day). I think I got Lyme in May 2004 according to my symptoms although I never had a rash. Anyway, just recently, I ve been feeling exhausted. So, I again got tested and in addition to the 41K, the 23K strand was highlighted. So, I am scheduling an appt wth an LLMD. I do not want to mess around. I see a naturopath and since my appt with a LLMD is a few weeks away, i ve been doing his protocol... 1 week of artemesia, 2 weeks of cat's claw for 2 rounds. a total of 6 weeks.

I am not looking forward to going on antibiotics. But, I ll do what i ve got to do to eradicate this bug. I am a big believer in holistic health. but, there is just too much uncertainty with lyme.

Again, thanks for all the info. I am very interested to see how everything goes.

Take care, C

Closed Thread