It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Chalk up 3 more animals to Lyme

Don't know how many of you remember about 2 yrs ago when I had to give my dog away.

She was my best friend - a German Shepard named Blue. She went everywhere with me - grocery store, taking my kids up to thier dad's house, she waited in my truck when I was out dancing, etc.

Anyway, I could not walk her & train her when I got sick and my kids, although they promised up and down, did not help at all. I would ask them to walk her, and they would tie her up in the backyard. Once they even tied her to the PVC pipe of my irrigation pump and a squirrel ran by and she ripped out the pipe chasing after it.

One day my mom pulled into my driveway (she doesn't come to my door or even come in and sit down) so I went out to see her while she sat in her car in my driveway, and Blue ran out with her hackles up, growling at my mom's car and would not obey my commands.

That was the last straw - I gave her away to a great family. I cried for days.

Anyway, I've never been a cat person, although my daughter is. She brought home a kitten about 4 years ago with my approval - and the cat, Cookie, joined our family. I secretly like her a lot - but I don't advertise it.

Then last year, she wanted another cat, and I missed Blue so much, that I thought another cat or two could replace her, so we went to the shelter and adopted 2 cats - Moo Moo and Petey - about a year old.

They fit in just fine. I enjoyed the company but they weren't as warm & fuzzy & affectionate as Cookie was.

Well, my daughter did not keep up her end of the deal - the cats frequently had no water (how hard is it to fill a bowl with tap water?) and no food (the bag was right in the cabinet!) and she did not change thier litter (I bought 2 extra litter boxes and the expensive multi-cat litter).

I warned her and warned her.

Then Moo Moo got out and was picked up by animal control. I had to pay to get him back and, of course, I got a lecture by the shelter on how I was irresponsible.

Then Moo Moo got out again, and was picked up by animal control. Again I had to pay money and get a lecture.

He got out yet again - the very next day - and didn't come home. I asked my daughter to call around (the vet, the shelter) to see if he was picked up.

Well, she didn't.

He was picked up again by animal control and they called the "authorities" to tattle on me. They reported that he was overdue for his shots and they called my town's police to report that he had no license.

I normally would never let an animal go without thier shots! Especially not after I've seen how bad tick bourne illness can be!

I've nagged and nagged my daughter to call the vet (the office is 3 blocks away - right in our neighborhood) and take the poor cats for checkups. I told her I would write out the check, and she could enter the dollar amount.

Yesterday the shelter called and, after scolding me and threatening me and giving me an earful of how bad a person I am, told me that Moo Moo had been picked up yet again!

Well, today I gave up. I've been beside myself worrying that the police or the SPCA would ring my bell and arrest me or issue a warrant or hand me a summons.

I told the shelter to keep Moo Moo. Then when my daughter came home from school today, I told her to put the other 2 cats in the animal carrier and we went to the shelter and surrendered them.

My daughter didn't even shed a tear or show regret - which illustrated that I had made the right decision. They'll be better off in a home where they will be taken care of.

I feel better; relieved; not worrying. I miss them though, especially Cookie, who was my friend.

Not a major deal, but another loss in my life that can be attributed to Lyme.

Thanks for listening,
Mickie (now pet free for the 1st time)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Chalk up 3 more animals to Lyme

Hi MicBlues...

Sounds like you have been having a stressful few weeks...I'm real thankful that so far they haven't passed those laws here. And my kitties can be cats still...playing outside where they like it...

I'll tell you when I was a kid and we didn't take care of our anitmals...Then we went without a meal or two also. To teach us to take care of our animals. But I know the laws are different now raising kids too and you would really be in alot of trouble...yikes...

Sorry for your loss...

Hope you are having a good day...and that the kitties find homes!

Hugs....

Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks JoyJoy (thats your new name by the way - I saw Marsha call you that).

Went grocery shopping last night and it was nice to keep the door open while we shlepped bags into the house without worrying about the cats zooming out the door.

Maybe someday ... I'll get another animal. Just for now I needed to simplify. Glad I did it.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
(female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Mickie,

Sorry that you lost more friends.

Can you help a confused foreigner?

Are cats not allowed outside there?

Janet

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I wouldn't necessisarily blame this on Lyme.....I'd blame it on irresponsibility. How old is your daughter? Is she old enough to take care of an animal? If not, or even if she is but you know she's not doing it, that animal becomes your responsibility. How many kids promise their parents they're gonna walk the dog, feed the dog, etc and then back out of their deal? The parents end up doing it. Sadly your daughter is learning by your example that animals are disposable. Please don't get any more unless you are willing to make a committment for the life of the animal. There are too many homeless animals dying in shelters every day.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
I wouldn't necessisarily blame this on Lyme.....I'd blame it on irresponsibility. How old is your daughter? Is she old enough to take care of an animal? If not, or even if she is but you know she's not doing it, that animal becomes your responsibility. How many kids promise their parents they're gonna walk the dog, feed the dog, etc and then back out of their deal? The parents end up doing it. Sadly your daughter is learning by your example that animals are disposable. Please don't get any more unless you are willing to make a committment for the life of the animal. There are too many homeless animals dying in shelters every day.

I don't think that he's irresponsible. He's sick, and if her daughter says that she will help out from the beginning, then it might be managable. But they eventually did a good thing by giving the cats back to the shelter where they will probably live healthier lives. I think that he learned his lesson.

6Blues, I'm sorry to hear about your animals. It's sad that you can't take care of them the way that you should and want to. But you did a good thing by giving them to the animal shelter.

I hope you have a good day! You will be in my thoughts. I wish that I could help you.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks guys.

My son is 14 and my daughter is 17 yrs old; very capable of taking responsibility for thier animals. My daughter did great before I got sick. She scooped poop, brushed thier fur, took them for thier appointments (of course I went too) and has a gabillion photos of them all over her room. She even used the leashes I bought and took them for "walks" on the front lawn ... at least until I got sick.

It was no fair to those animals to be ignored. I could not scoop thier litter. I could not even keep a few of my own doctor appointments, let alone thiers. Heck - most days I don't leave my bed.

I made the best decision for the animals. Heaven forbid they got hit by a car or picked up by a stranger or some other terrible thing.

I am not the 1st person to realize that they're too sick to take care of pets. Of course I understand that when I signed my name to those adoption papers that I am ultimately responsible - but my 17 yr old is quite capable of taking care of them too.

I didn't realize how much I appreciated my furry friends' company till today. I had no one sitting on the bed with me while I worked, and I didn't hear them scampering around. Cookie used to sit next to me while I worked and once in a while she would meow and lick my hand. I miss her; I miss all of them.

I know they're better off, but it's just so sad. I felt like they liked me no matter what I looked like, or whether I brushed my teeth or not, or what mood I was in, or whether I was crying (unlike my kids, my friends, my family).

This disease s*cks. And the workers at the shelter s*ck also for the way they spoke to me. They knew I had Lyme, they knew how sick I was and they never offered sympathy or empathy - I was talked to as if I was the first person in my town to surrender an animal for adoption. sheesh.

My next door neighbors surrendered thier dog when they had thier baby because they "couldn't be bothered". Here I was trying my best to manage, and I get treated like a piece of dirt.

p.s. The cats were a few months overdue for thier booster shots and thier license was also overdue. That's why the shelter reported me to the police and animal control. I just couldn't sit here freaking out, worrying that the cops were going to knock on my door and drag me outside like they do on those shows on Animal Planet.

They're better off with a family that can give them the care they need. I just wish it didn't have to be this way.

Thanks for the support guys.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

That's so sad. I wish that I could keep you company. I want to cheer you up!

I promise that people will come around eventually. You will get better, too.

It's upsetting that when you feel like you get close to someone, they leave. I know how it feels from experiance. At least you are lucky enough to come on these message boards where people support and encourage you, just like how friends should treat you.

Before this, I had no support from anyone. These message boards have really brought joy to me and I love coming here. I hope that you continue to come and talk to us.

I hope this isn't an offensive question or anything, but I was wondering if you were male or female. Yesterday underneath your username it said that you were male and today it says that you're female.

Keep fighting!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Victoria - I'm a girl.

Once, I must've made a change to my profile and accidentally changed myself to a guy. LOL - with no surgery.

I kept forgetting to change it back - then I finally did. So here I am back to my ovarian self!

How are you? I was so sorry to hear about that insensitive poopy-head doctor you saw! There will be a way for you. It stinks to be brave, but hang in there and try not to worry.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Oh Victoria I LOVE what you wrote....hahahaha...boy after the day I had to day I needed a good chuckle....

I hope this isn't an offensive question or anything, but I was wondering if you were male or female. Yesterday underneath your username it said that you were male and today it says that you're female.

I just LOVE MY FRIENDS HERE!!

MicBlues as you know I had to give up my two legged baby puggies couple years ago..I know it is hard for some people to understand when one is EXTREMLEY ill and having a hard time even taking care of their own needs it is EXTREMELY hard to care for ones that are relying on you...Shelters find homes for kitties and dogs...I volunteer at one now...I undestand that you feel better that they will be in a hone soon where they will be taken care of.

MANY MANY HUGS TO YOU AND MISS VICTORIA!

like my new name...joyjoy....hehe...

Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh My gosh Rosquartz...I have seen you on the boards...

I didn't realize you had LYME too!! Wow how long have you had lyme? Are you doing treatment?

Never saw you befoe on the lyme board..so Welcome...you have any questions on this disabling disease just ask away. the disease that zaps us of everthing and everyone..this disease that people Love to put us down on..ahhh...it is sooo total frustrating..

have a good day....

Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #12
(female)

FlaGal1 HB User

You did the RIGHT thing for your kitties. You were CONCERNED enough to make sure they were taken care of by bringing them back to the shelter. Sometimes even our best intentions go by the wayside as none us know what the future may hold for us. In NO WAY feel guilty for what you have had to do.

Even though capable teens promise to take care of things, we all know that is not always the case. I myself have 2 daughters, now in early 20's. They mean well, then the lure of friends and other things invade their life. We try to teach and re-enforce responsibility, but that can be a tough battle with teens and when you are ill, you have to pick your battles. Our main battle is fighting LD, and we have to use all of our strength to deal with that, and it does not leave much energy for worrying about other things.

I am sorry however for the loss you are feeling. I myself have 3 kitties and I did have 5 dogs up until a week ago. We had to find homes for 2 of our dogs, we just could not keep up with everything with me being sick. When I got the dogs 1.5 yrs ago, did I have it in my mind that I would one day have to find new homes for them? No, I always believed this would be their forever home. I cried the day they left, even though I felt they had found good homes...it was my birthday too

It must be tough where you live. My kitties are indoor/outdoor...We suspect the LD came from one of the cats, even though they do have their flea/tick meds every month. I do not know what my kitties would do if they could not play outside. They are up-to-date on vaccinations, here where I live you can purchase them and do it yourself, and spayed. But no one complains if they wander out of my yard (we live in the country) and if that was the case, the shelter would be busy 24/7 picking up people's cats that roam.

I hope in the future as you continue on your path of healing, may you be able to once again have a furry friend to give you comfort and joy.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flagal....

Sorry for your loss also! I also had to give up my two 4 legged puggies couple years ago. They went to good homes...But it was like ripping my heart out...

I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought I would be so ill to not beable to take care of my babies....

Now that I am able to walk and doing better...I volunteer at the shelter here in town...foster pups...and I adopted 2 of the kids there...I have 4 kids now

So to let you all know it does get better with the proper treatment.

Hugs to you all!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Oh My gosh Rosquartz...I have seen you on the boards...

I didn't realize you had LYME too!! Wow how long have you had lyme? Are you doing treatment?

Never saw you befoe on the lyme board..so Welcome...you have any questions on this disabling disease just ask away. the disease that zaps us of everthing and everyone..this disease that people Love to put us down on..ahhh...it is sooo total frustrating..

have a good day....

Hi Jojo - I don't have Lyme. I was searching new posts and came across this one, and being an animal lover I had to click on it and read it.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
(female)

FlaGal1 HB User

JoJo-

Thanks for the kind words. I just wanted Blues to know she was not alone either in this tough choice. Anyone that thinks it is an easy thing to do is sadly mistaken! I did Boxer Rescue for years, in fact all my dogs are boxers, so I know what happens when they are not properly cared for. That is why I wanted her to know she did the right thing, the loving thing for the cats.

I do have hope that with continued treatment I will get well, and have the energy like I once did.

Thanks again-

Closed Thread