It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
Apt with LLMD Dr Sam Donta, MA

Just wanted to share my good news. I sent all my negative test results to Dr Donta and he set up an appointment with me.

I cannot tell y'all what a relief it is to have an MD look at all your lab stats which say you are perfectly healthy and agree that something may still be wrong. I have been living with pretty scary neurological symptoms for about a year with no resolution. Even if it turns out NOT to be Lyme, at least I will feel like the statement- "not lyme" will be Definite! (nothing else is at this point. )

has anyone been treated by Dr Donta? How is he to work with?
Thanks!

Last edited by zandvoort; 06-12-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ktp812 HB User
Re: Apt with LLMD Dr Sam Donta, MA

My sister went to see Dr. Donta a couple months ago. She only had 41+ on her WB test. He put her on three months abx to see if she had improvement in the symptoms or herx. She had neither so she stopped them. He told her he had wanted to continue them through the summer but she said no. He did say she most likely does not have Lyme because of the one positive but thought abx would be a good idea. She only saw him that one time but she did email his office a couple times and they replied really quickly. They even sent her results over email.
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi zandvoort, I do not recommend this doctor.

I hope your appointment goes well. Let us know okay?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Ticker- how come?

Last edited by moderator2; 06-12-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi zandvoort. I do not have any personal experience with him, but there are a few reasons I would not recommend him. First he treats everyone with one of two protocols: either Biaxin with Plaquenil or Tetracycline. While these may work for some cases, they do not work for all and there are many different meds that can be used to treat Lyme.

Secondly, I have heard that he does not test for co-infections. This is extremely important. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective. As someone who has had several co-infections, I know firsthand how important it is to know if they are present. When some people have asked about this, he replies that these protocols will treat them. Not true.

He also does not recommend taking vitamins. Of course, this is his choice but many Lyme doctors believe it is important to take vitamins.

I know someone who saw him and got much sicker because those meds did not work for her case, and she was co-infected. A lot of time was wasted.

Like I stated above, these protocols can be effective for some people. Everyone must do what is best for their situation. My advice is to learn as much as you can so you can monitor your treatment and progress.

Last edited by ticker; 06-12-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ktp812 HB User

That is what he gave my sister-biaxin and plaquenil. He also told her not to take vitamins because they help feed the Lyme. That is completely the opposite of what my doctor told me. That is all I really know about him. My sister ended up going to someone else at MGH but I don't know how good he is either. They are now saying she has MS but I don't think she does. Good Luck.
Kim

Old 06-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi zandvoort.

I had major neurological symptoms. I was bitten maybe 2 or 3 years before my symptoms really kicked in.

I completely lost my sense of balance and because of that I suffer from oscillopsia (everything in my field of vision jiggles). Oh - it's the worst symptom I have. I can only see clearly when I am perfectly still. Walking or driving, forget it - all that I see jiggles. It's torture.

At my worst I had many neurological symptoms: trouble speaking, short term memory lost, trouble concentrating, brain fog, I looked like a drunken sailor when I walked and I gained 90 lbs in 4 months with no change in eating habits.

I have to tell you that my brain fog has gone away 90%. My memory is coming back and I can speak clearly and concentrate on a task.

I still have other symptoms I am working to recover from - so I'm still nowhere near where I used to be.

I remember how scary it was for me to feel that I was losing my mind. I saw a neulogist and he told me I may have dementia. That's how bad I was.

It was terrifying to think that I was losing my mental capacity. I didn't know what to do! I knew what to do for acne, arthritis, high blood pressure, loss of a limb, broken bone, etc.

But what on earth do you do when you feel that you're losing your mind?

Hang in there. Good luck with whichever doctor you see.

I don't know if it's good or bad - but we do have a choice of LLMD's (Lyme Literate Medical Doctors) in the northeast.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot about the co-infections. I think what I will do is go to Dr Donta for the Igenex (or whatever) Lyme test. If it is positive, I will ask Dr Donta for his co-infection- treatment plan and if he disregards the info I have been given, I will look for another doc to continue with. If the Igenex lab is negative, I won't have to worry how Donta treats. Can you have a negative Ignex Lyme test but positive co-infections? If I got bit, It must have been over a year ago.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't think he uses IgeneX Lab, but I am not sure.

Remember that no test for Lyme is completely reliable. The CDC requires several bands to show for the Western Blot to be positive, but many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands. Lyme doctors often look at which bands are positive. Some are specific for Lyme.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
(female)

mesmall HB User

I have been going to Dr. Donta for 14 months,and he saved my life. No one would treat me for Lyme more than 3 weeks and my lyme turned into late stage neuro-lyme and attacked my nervouse system.I had brain fog,memory loss like alzheimers(forgot where i was driving to),shoulder,shin and neck pain,twitching muscles and a throbbing nerve under my right eye.My mri shows the tiny scarring that Lyme leaves as well as MS,and I was warned by another Lyme victim not to let anyone tell me or treat me for MS(this person was misdiagnosed with MS and ended up in a wheelchair after the steroid and chemo treatments she recieved.
All of my symptoms have cleared except for some occasional twitching and a pain in my knee or jaw here and there. ALL of my test showed negative,but they only test for 1 strain and there are almost 200 types.Actually,my test showed evidence of lyme but everyone chalked it up to a tick bite I had a few years earlier.They said "the test doesn't tell you if you have it,had it, or got it again,so 3 weeks antibiotics and that's it!"
After 3 months of antibiotics,the nerve under my eye stopped pulsating.Symptoms were VERY slow healing,and alot of days I thought that I was on the wrong meds or getting worse.I had to trust DR. D because I had no one else and now I am 95% healed. They were all very supportive when I called them so scared because new weird symptoms were appearing.They encouraged me to be brave and assured me that the Lyme was dying and they release toxins during die off.
I will be forever grateful to Dr.D and his staff for taking care of me after the nightmare I endured for 2 years trying to get treatment and being told that I had everything from "fibromyalgia" (although there is no test for that)to a brain tumor (my darkest hour).
Give Dr. D a chance,but be patient with the slow healing and don't give up!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Wow Mesmall- thank you for your inspiring words. I so appreciate that you took the time to post for me. It really helped.

congratulations on your continuing recovery!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mesmall, I am glad you are doing so well!

Closed Thread