It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
rib pain....

Hi- question, for those of you that have lyme with rib pain, what type of pain is it? Is it bone pain or is it a dull crampy pain under the rib area.

Please share

J

Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
(male)

cheezhead HB User
Re: rib pain....

Hi 3love, when I was having rib pain, mine was a dull crampy feeling at the bottom of my left rib cage. I have not had the pain since early on in my infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Cheezhead- Oh man! I have the same type of pain, a dull crampy pain under my left rib cage! I am not diagnosed yet, but I have sooooo many of the symptoms.
Weird thing is, my husband has alot of the symptoms too! But, he thinks that nothing is wrong with him.

J

Old 07-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
(male)

cheezhead HB User

3love, do you or your husband remember any exposier to ticks? what other symptoms do you have? have you been tested for lyme disease? In my case I tested sero-negative on both my ELISA, and Western blot test twice. when I finally found my way to a LLMD he gave me a clinical diagnosis of lyme and started me on treatment rightaway. My LLMD is going to test for co-infections on my next visit. I'll feel a lot better if I do get a positive blood test. just to confirm what I believe is making me ill, But I realize the tests are not very accurate and may never come back positive. please tell your husband not to take lyme disease lightly, the longer your infected the longer you could need treatment. good luck and best wishes.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User

Hello, I also have the rib pain. Mine is always on the right side. Sometimes the crampy feeling, hard to describe but man does it hurt. I actually went to the doctors for it before being diagnosed with lyme and they sent me in for CAT scans and ultrasounds because it was sort of like under the ribs. If you pushed at the last rib and kind of pushed up and under it was the worst.

I have been on treatment now for a month and a half and no relief. Not sure if the meds are working or not because I still have all of my symptoms (issues).

Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Cheezhead- The only tick bit that I know of was 12 years ago! I had symptoms starting maybe 4 years ago, nothing really alrarming up until Jan 1st I got really sick. I was in bed for 2 wks extremely fatigued with a numb- like feeling around my nose area and here I am, 7 months later with more symptoms!

Tammy- I also had many doctor visits trying to find out what is causing this awful pain that comes out of the blue. It is so bad that it stops me in my tracks. When the pain starts, I will cringe up in a ball, it's so bad!

Last edited by 3love; 07-18-2007 at 06:54 AM.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
(female)

Erin524 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3love View Post
I also had many doctor visits trying to find out what is causing this awful pain that comes out of the blue. It is so bad that it stops me in my tracks. When the pain starts, I will cringe up in a ball, it's so bad!
That rib pain is also common in Multiple Sclerosis, which is reasonable since both Lyme and MS symptoms are very similar.

It's caused by the muscles in your ribs, the intercostal muscles going into a spasm. The intercostal muscles hold your ribs together and allows the ribs to be flexible. In MS they call it the "MS hug".

I just call it a giant invisible python snake trying it's best to kill me before it eats me.

I dont think it's that severe when it happens to me...I can still move around, but it's such an uncomfortable sensation. I get it probably once or twice a week...usually if I'm really tired out.

I'm a lot closer to finding out if I've got Lyme or MS...I just got my blood drawn this morning to send to Igenex. (yay!! my regular doctor is turning out to be so cool!) My doctor and his nurses helped me fill out the paperwork, one of the nurses drew my blood for me and my doctor was totally cool for actually listening to me about the blood test. (my neuro pretty much blew me off when I brought up the subject of Lyme and Igenex)

Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

mesmall HB User

Yup, I had that pain too. Mine was on the right side and felt like I had a kidney stone there.A dull ache. I thought that it might be my gallbladder.Anyway, it's gone now ,but I had it for a few months,then off and on for a while.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Erin- for me, the rib pain is more like a dull crampy pain in the same spot every time, it's not a tight hug or anything like that. It's under the last left rib.

mesmall- are you dx'd with lyme?
J

Last edited by 3love; 07-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
(female)

mesmall HB User

Yes,been being treated for almost 2 years.Most of my symptoms are gone now except for muscle twitching.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

Do you know when you were infected? What led you to your diangnosis? How are you doing today? Sorry so many questions.
J

Old 07-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
(female)

Erin524 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3love View Post
Erin- for me, the rib pain is more like a dull crampy pain in the same spot every time, it's not a tight hug or anything like that. It's under the last left rib.
It's called a "hug" because a lot of people feel like they're being hugged, or like they have a big band around their chest. Not everyone feels like they're being hugged tho.

I dont feel like I'm being hugged when I have it. It feels like the invisible python is only squeezing one side of my rib cage. He's doing a fairly good job squeezing, because it's pretty uncomfortable.

When I first noticed it, it was in a small area on the lowest part of my left side of the rib cage. I've felt it on both sides of my ribs, just never at the same time.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
(female)

mesmall HB User

Hi 3 love,
I beleive that I was infected in 2003.Chased symptoms for 2 years and was misdiagnosed fibromyalgia and a brain tumor. Had every test known to man.If you do a search for my posts,you will see alot of my story.After 2 years of searching for someone to help me I found Dr. Sam Donta. He has been treating me and I am almost completely healed. I had memory loss,brain fog,muscle aches and twitches,knee pain,neck creak,low body temp,interupted sleep,constant UTI infections.The healing process was so SLOW that I barely noticed that i was getting better and at first I was sure I was getting worse.I now know that getting worse is part of getting better as Lyme die-off causes toxins to be released making everything worse for a while.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

2 years I guess is not so bad, considering, alot of people go for years and years not knowing. You must have been so relieved to finally find out what was wrong?

J

Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
(female)

mesmall HB User

Yes,I cried with relief when the Dr. told me it was Lyme,he was going to treat it,and I was going to be well again.

Closed Thread