It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ssiegel5 HB User
alternative treatments for lyme

It seems as if everyone here is just doing the antibiotic thing. I would like to know if anyone has opted for other approaches to treating lyme, and what is working or not working.

I personally have been through the antibiotic route with my oldest daughter now, 14. She was on double strength adult anitibiotics for 1 1/2 years with moderate success. It wasn't until I researched more and found anecdoetal evidence for colloidal silver and started making it at home that she began to significantly improve.

Now, my whole family I believe are having symptoms of lyme. My 12 year old the worst. I will not allow her to be on antibiotics as I have seen first hand the devastation they wrought with my oldest. They also seem to be ineffective for cases that have not been dianosed right away. I have researched other treatments and there are many out there.

I have put us on the following:
Salt/c
samento (a form of cats claw)
garlic
colloidal silver
Lyme nosode
Phophotidyl serine (helps normalize cortisol levels so you can sleep)
Lots of immune boosting substances like astragalas, echinacea, beta glucan
Either a sauna or hot epson salt bath every night. ( we bought a far infrared sauna online)Heat has been shown to kill lyme.

So far these methods seem to be working, although it has only been several weeks.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: alternative treatments for lyme

Hi there, welcome to the board! I am done with antibiotics also and just pursuing good health through alternative treatments and healthy lifestyle choices. My teenagers have lyme and I also have lyme and bartonella. I was on abx for almost three years, but took myself off them last September. We don't take any antibiotics, but we do detoxify all the time and try to take good care of ourselves so that we aren't symptomatic.

I like the protocols of Dr. David Jernigan (Beating Lyme Disease through Alternative Medicine) and also Dr. Klinghardt (Lyme Disease: A Look Beyond Antibiotics), and I do get some good insight from Buhner (Healing Lyme: Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme and Its Coinfections). I use different herbs and essential oils when I am having any relapse, but for the most part I feel good. We do have a sauna and I use it regularly. I also eat very healthfully and try to get plenty of rest.

I am not on here as much as I used to be because I am feeling well and trying to make up for lost time in my life.

Everyone has to fight their own lyme battle and somehow make it through with whatever works for them. I hope you find the right solutions for you and I hope I encouraged you in your quest for answers beyond antibiotics.
Wishing you great health!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi ssiegel5, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you and your family are dealing with this. I am curious, have you all been tested for the co-infections Babesiosis, both types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplamsa? This is important. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. Progress can be delayed if the co-infections are not addressed.

I take antibiotics and do many things to strengthen my immune system, including taking herbs and supplements.

I hope you all continue to improve!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ssiegel5 HB User

My husband has been tested and is only positive for the lyme, no coinfections. My daughter and I have not been formally tested (only muscle tested by my accupuuncturist), but she has a doctor appt. in a couple weeks to address this. I don't think I will get tested because I am not as bad as her and the good tests are so expensive (my husbands was $1000). I also don't want my insurance co. to know because my husband was droppped because of his lyme. So i will treat myself. I will not go on antibiotics (have had yeast and fungal issues for years) but will do everything else.

To sleeperwoken: What essential oils do you use? Thanks for the book references. Have you heard of the book by Bryan Rosner called The top ten Lyme Disease Treatments? I just ordered that. I will check out the one's you reccomend also.

Ticker, I brought this subject up because it is sorely lacking on this forum and I believe others could benefit from knowing about alternative therapies to use with or without antibiotics. How long have you been on antibiotics? Do you feel they are helping you?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi ssiegel5. Over time, there have been a lot of posts here about alternative treatments. Maybe you do a search using different words to pull them up.

Antibiotics have saved my life. I have been on them a long time, but I had five tick-borne illnesses and was about 3% alive when I was diagnosed. I also take certain herbs and supplements, eat healthy, drink a lot of water, exercise about five hours a week, and go in the steamroom several times a week.

I am very sorry your husband lost his insurance. That is terrible. Is it legal for the insurance company to do this?

Have you read Stephen Buhner's book "Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections?"

Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ssiegel5 HB User

It was new insurance and they considered it a pre-exisiting condition (which it was).
I am glad to hear the atbx worked for you. My daughter was on them 1 1/2 years with only moderate relief until we added the colloidal silver. I just don't think the atbx alone can do the job. They were also very hard on her immune system and took years to recover from the effects of them.

In the previous post, Ticker reccomended that book. I'm going to look for it on Amazon. Thanks, Susan

Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ssiegel5 HB User

Ooops! I meant sleeperwoken on the book.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I use essential oils for a lot of things. I study them constantly and have about thirty or more oils available in my house at a time. They are extremely useful and potent.

One oil I particularly like is oregano. It is very, very strong and considered a caustic oil, meaning it will burn if used straight. I have to dilute it in a carrier oil such as almond oil, jojoba oil or some other light oil. I just pour the carrier oil into my hand and then put a few drops of oregano oil into that and then rub it on my feet at bedtime or put it into the bath. It is antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral and it really makes me feel much better. I take oregano oil in pill form too sometimes. My hubby tried that and his stomach hurt, but it didn't bother me at all.

Another oil I like is tea tree, although it can be caustic when placed directly on the skin also. It works great against yeast so I put it in my bath or on my skin with a carrier oil.

Eucalyptus is great against lyme and is not caustic so you can put it directly on you or in the bath without diluting. I bring eucalyptus and lavender into the sauna with me and rub it on my joints while I'm warming up in there. It smells so good!

St. John's Wort oil is excellent for "lyme neck." When my neck gets stiff and creaky or if I get what I call a "lyme knot" in my neck, I rub St. John's Wort oil on it and it goes away immediately. It's especially nice if you can get someone else to rub the oil on your neck. A good neck massage is done with the person lying face up, elevated, and with their shoulders and neck in the other person's lap. For example, the massager sits in a chair and the one being massaged sits on an ottoman so only their tush is supported and their whole upper body is lying face up in the other person's lap. Then your body weight rests in their hands while they massage and that way they don't have to press very hard to get good results because your body is already pressing down in their hands. They cup on hand around the base of your neck and run their whole hand up your neck while the other one starts at the base and comes up. One after the other. Another benefit of this position is that you can relax your neck completely, which is more difficult when standing or sitting upright. It feels great and you should reciprocate even if the other person does not have lyme neck!

I buy st. john's wort already mixed in olive oil. It is a very red color when poured out, but doesn't seem to affect clothes or hands as far as staining or anything. It washes right out.

Closed Thread