It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

piobaire HB User
Ringworm vs. Lyme's??? Getting the run around!

Hi all,

I am new to this site and so excited I came across it!

I am a 25 year old female who was always active and healthy. A year ago I was hiking in BC. Sometime during my trip I develpoed a 'rash' on my leg and for the past year I have been develpoing more and more health problems mostly with bone/joint/muscle pain and headaches, dizzziness and extreme fatigue. They all seem to be getting worse but they come in cycles. I can feel pretty good for a few weeks and be totally off my feet for weeks.

At first the doctor said the rash was Ringworm but now they suspect Lyme's and I am waiting for a appt with an infectious disease doctor since my family doctor doesnt know what is up.

Any thoughts as to whether this could be Lyme's or Ringworm?

Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
(female)

TropicalTrace HB User
Re: Ringworm vs. Lyme's??? Getting the run around!

If you need a name for a good LLMD, I see one in Vancouver.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

piobaire HB User

Thanks but I was just visiting BC and I live in ON

Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi piobaire, welcome to the board!

What did your rash look like? Although only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash, a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease. The rash alone merits treatment.

Lyme symptoms cycle like you describe and since you were hiking it is likely you were bitten. I don't think ringworm causes the symptoms you are having.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a kowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Often infectious disease doctors are not the best to see for tick-borne illnesses.

Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

The only Lyme doctor I know of in Canada is in New Hope, BC. If you would like his name, let me know.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know about Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

I hope you can get some answers soon. Keep us posted on your progress okay?

Last edited by ticker; 08-09-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

piobaire HB User

Thanks for that info! It is somewhere between scary and exciting because it sounds just like what I have been going through for the past year!

My rash was a definate bulls-eye. I posted a link to the photo I took but didnt realise it wasnt allowed.

How would I go about getting my blood tested by that lab you mentioned? Do I have to ask my family doctor to arrange for this?

I have read a little and I have heard that Lyme is chronic and you are never 'cured' but can have flare ups for life. Is this true?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi piobaire. The sooner these diseases are treated the better. I believe you can be cured.

I believe you can get the kit from the lab and take it to your doctor. The results will be reported only to a doctor.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
(female)

mctassi HB User

Hi piobaire,
I just went through the igenex testing. You can find there web site and they have a tool free #. I called them up and they send you the test kit. It has everything you need. They have the order form for the doctor to fill out. They told me is has to be ordered by and MD or and DO(?). The doctor fills out his info. I took the whole kit to a lab to have the blood drawn. The lab also gives you a pre-paid fed-ex return bag. The lab can call fed-ex for pick-up or I just took the bag to a fed-ex shipping store. Igenex has a lot of info on there site. It's $245 for 2 WB and an IFA . It doesn't take long for they to send the test. I think I recieved mine within a week. good luck mc

Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
(female)

piobaire HB User

Thank you so much for the info. For the first time in a year I feel like I have hope and am not crazy! I have contacted Igenex for the test kit and will let you guys know what I find out.

I have another question since my reading seems contradictory. How does a doctor know how long to treat with antibiotics since what I have read says there is no test to say when you are cured. Do they just go each individual and their level of symptom relief?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi piobarie. Most Lyme doctors will treat until the person is symptom free plus at least two months longer.

The longer someone has been sick, the longer they will need to be treated. Other factors include the type of symptoms they have, if co-infections are present, what their overall health is, other health issues, etc.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Tropical! Who is the LLMD that you see in Vancouver? My parents live in the San Juan Islands and I want them to see an LLMD so bad but hadn't found one close to them except 6 hours away. they are only 45 minutes from Vancouver. Thanks, Sarah

Last edited by sarah92202; 08-09-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Piobaire, I'm glad that you are taking steps to get tested for Lyme. BC has the highest reported cases of Lyme in all of Canada, especially Vancouver Island, don't know if that is where you were. My son's rash looked like ring worm too, and he was treated with cream for it, and it turned out to be Lyme, we didn't find out for 6 years what was wrong with him, it caused alot of health and learning problems for him, but he is getting better every day. Find a Lyme Literate MD that knows how to read the Igemex bands, because alot of doc's don't and could tell you that you don't have Lyme when you really do. My husbands test said positive Igenex/posituive CDC and his stupid doc still said he didn't have Lyme and if we hadn't gotten a copy of the report and went by what the doc said he also would have gone years not knowing what was wrong with him. so make sure that you get a copy of the report. Good Luck and keep us informed. Sarah

Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
(female)

piobaire HB User

I was on Vancouver Island, Tofino to be exact! 6 years! I cannot imagine. I am so glad I have only been going through this for 1 year. It is really frustrating that doctors wont listen and you have to fight to be tested let alone treated. On top of all this I am moving to Ann Arbor MI on the 28th and would like to know what is going on before I move and have to find a new doctor. Thanks for the support!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

bigstan HB User

Hey Piobaire, I live 20 minuets from Ann Arbor. Great town to live in. Go Blue! If you need to see an LLMD there are two good ones that I know of. Let me know.

Closed Thread