It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

lotusillusion HB User
Anesthesia and Surgery???

I'm recently dx w/ late lyme and breast cancer..talk about shocked! I'm trying to feel better in order to have surgery, but am thinking that may be a while coming and I've already put off the surgery for a long time so I'm scared to not have it.. and very scared to go through w/ it as well.

Has anyone else experienced anesthesia and surgery while being so fatigued and w/ cardiac s/s??
Thanks for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: Anesthesia and Surgery???

I am so incredibly sorry that you're having to deal not only w/ Lyme's but w/ breast cancer as well.

I had routine surgery done (before I knew I had Lyme's) and unfortunately, I experienced a lot of blood loss which traumatized my body (I ended up needing 2 units of blood). This in turn, made my Lyme's worse b/c my immune system took a hard knock. I've noticed since I have contracted Lyme's, I bleed very easily so I don't know if that's a factor as to why I lost so much blood. But I didn't have any troubles with the anesthesia.

You might ask your doctor if there's something you can do to boost your immune system before you have surgery. Typically having a surgery lowers the immune system and you definitely don't need that if you have Lyme's.

Maybe someone on the board can recommend something that will help boost your immune system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

lotusillusion, I am very sorry you are dealing with so much at once.

I recommend talking to your oncologist and Lyme doctor to decide what is best for your situation.

Hang in there okay? Keep us posted on how you are doing okay?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
(female)

mctassi HB User

Hi lotus,
sorry to hear about your health. Have they already done a biopsy on the breast? Or is that the surgery you are talking about?
People on this board are great, you'll get lots of support. Take care of yourself. mc

Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

drmalcolm HB User

Lotus, I just wanted to wish you the best. I can only imagine how this has knocked the wind out of you.

Have faith in your medical team at this point and don't feel hesitant to ask as many questions as you need to in order to feel secure in your decisions.

I'll be thinking of you, as I know everyone here will be.

Best always,
Christina

Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
(female)

lotusillusion HB User

Thanks for the support everyone..
after reading KeyLyme's msg I sent an email to a naturopathic doc here in San Diego that's suppose to deal w/ lyme and maybe she can help boost my immune system (if I can afford her)

In response to a few others.. yes I've had the biopsy done already in June and afterwards just kept getting sicker before I could actually go through w/ the surgery. I don't have an oncologist yet because I'm told that'll come after the surgery and will depend on what else they might find.

The lyme doc, whom I've only seen once for a few mins., is setting things up for my Iv meds and says I ought to proceed w/ the surgery. Honestly tho, I don't trust docs at this point since I've gone to so many over the past 7 yrs w/ my problems and know that sometimes what they do for trt. is actually more harmful than helpful. My body tells me "hell no" re: surgery at this time.. I just spent 3 days in bed basically w/o any surgery..
I'm praying the iv meds will do the trick..

These boards help a lot.. I'm very thankful to have found them and to all that contribute to them

Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusillusion View Post
Thanks for the support everyone..
after reading KeyLyme's msg I sent an email to a naturopathic doc here in San Diego that's suppose to deal w/ lyme and maybe she can help boost my immune system (if I can afford her)

In response to a few others.. yes I've had the biopsy done already in June and afterwards just kept getting sicker before I could actually go through w/ the surgery. I don't have an oncologist yet because I'm told that'll come after the surgery and will depend on what else they might find.

The lyme doc, whom I've only seen once for a few mins., is setting things up for my Iv meds and says I ought to proceed w/ the surgery. Honestly tho, I don't trust docs at this point since I've gone to so many over the past 7 yrs w/ my problems and know that sometimes what they do for trt. is actually more harmful than helpful. My body tells me "hell no" re: surgery at this time.. I just spent 3 days in bed basically w/o any surgery..
I'm praying the iv meds will do the trick..

These boards help a lot.. I'm very thankful to have found them and to all that contribute to them
Do they have any idea how far along your breast cancer is? I'm glad that you're able to get an IV. You'll probably feel worse when you get your IV b/c when the Lyme bacteria dies, it releases neuro toxins that can make your symptoms worse or create new ones (it's called a Herx). If you're on treatment for Lyme's while you have your surgery, then I would think the Lyme's won't get out of control like mine did. I wasn't on any type of antibiotics...heck I didn't even know I had Lyme's at the time. If I would have been on antibiotics, I don't think I would of had the same reaction.

Whenever you decide to have your surgery, please let us know how it goes (when you're up to it of course).

God Bless

Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
(female)

lotusillusion HB User

Hi KeyLyme.. just had my picc put in yesterday and the nurse that inserted it had a hard time stopping the bleeding from that so it must in deed be a "Lyme thing" , at least I know though.
Hope you're doing ok today
Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLyme View Post
I am so incredibly sorry that you're having to deal not only w/ Lyme's but w/ breast cancer as well.

I had routine surgery done (before I knew I had Lyme's) and unfortunately, I experienced a lot of blood loss which traumatized my body (I ended up needing 2 units of blood). This in turn, made my Lyme's worse b/c my immune system took a hard knock. I've noticed since I have contracted Lyme's, I bleed very easily so I don't know if that's a factor as to why I lost so much blood. But I didn't have any troubles with the anesthesia.

You might ask your doctor if there's something you can do to boost your immune system before you have surgery. Typically having a surgery lowers the immune system and you definitely don't need that if you have Lyme's.

Maybe someone on the board can recommend something that will help boost your immune system.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusillusion View Post
Hi KeyLyme.. just had my picc put in yesterday and the nurse that inserted it had a hard time stopping the bleeding from that so it must in deed be a "Lyme thing" , at least I know though.
Hope you're doing ok today
Lotus
I'm so glad that you got your PICC line in. You'll probably get a Herx reaction but remember that's a GOOD thing..it means the bacteria is dying.

I'm doing okay...same old same old. My 4 year old son got bit by a tick yesterday and got the EM rash so I had to take him into the dr this morning and get antibiotics. I've called all around town and finally found a dr who will give him enough antibiotics for 6 weeks treatment.

I swear, I want to live in a "tick proof" bubble.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
(male)

nebakenezer HB User

If your cancer is early and can be removed by surgery and if I were in your shoes (which I am not---God bless you), I would definitely have the surgery. Screw the Lymes. If the breast cancer goes long enough to spread (metastasis) to other places like lymph nodes, then in addition to surgery, you would also likely have to go through a some rounds of chemotherapy, which will completely wipe out your immune system while you are on it and you would pretty much be counting soley on the antibiotics to help you with the lyme and every other bug out there until your immune system recovers when chemo discontinued. If the doctor knows it is for sure it is cancer and that it can be taken out by surgery, then for God's sakes have the surgery.
If the issue is Cancer vs. Lyme Disease---I would get rid of the cancer and take my chances with the Lyme.

In the end, though it is your life and you have to make your own decisions. If you are a spiritual person at all, I recommend praying each day for help in making the decision that you have to make. This is what works for me when I feel I am at my wits end.

I hope you get well soon.

Closed Thread