It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User
soy milk ok?....

Hi, I know milk is not allowed for people with lyme but how about soy milk?

Thanks,
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Re: soy milk ok?....

My naturopath says that soy milk is okay for guys but women have to be careful with how much they drink. I have PCOS (I think it's Lyme related) so I have to stay away from anything w/ soy b/c it increases estrogen levels. Higher estrogen means more suceptibility to endometriosis, weight gain and PMDD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Yesterday my LLMD told me to not have soy milk.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

Avalou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3love View Post
Hi, I know milk is not allowed for people with lyme but how about soy milk?

Thanks,
J
Hi;

Why isn't milk allowed for people with Lyme? If it's because of the hormones, would it be permissable for one to eat or drink (organic) dairy products? I wasn't able to have dairy most of my adult life, until a couple of months ago when I discovered a digestive enzyme capsule that I can tolerate. Now, with the enzymes, I can tolerate dairy.

I personally can't drink soy milk--or eat any soy products without severe heart palpitations. I have heard that people with hypothyroidism shouldn't eat/drink soy products. From what I'm reading so far, it appears that hypothyroidism is common in Lyme patients.

And, since it does affect the hormones, soy would be bad for women with PMS--which I also read is common with female Lyme patients.

Blessings;
Ava

Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Me and my kids used to be avid dairy drinkers. I started doing research on milk and found that it is full of hormones, toxins, antibiotics, chemicals and most yucky of all PUS! Even the organic milk isn't good for you.

Simply put, cows milk is for cows. Humans aren't designed to digest cows milk. There's all kinds of health problems that can remedied by ceasing dairy consumption.

Since we've all quit eating/drinking dairy, the swelling in our abdomens has gone down. Also, our allergies are better. My son has more energy and lost the dark circles under his eyes. My kids and I take probiotics every day to make up for not drinking/eating dairy.

If you do a search on milk, you can find all kinds of info.

The Following User Says Thank You to KeyLyme For This Useful Post:
Alex2011 (09-07-2012)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
(female)

Lebnin HB User

Gee, I guess I missed the boat on this one. Why no diary or soy ? My LLMD said nothing to me about this. I've been eating mostly organic (85 % or so)since the diagnosis . I decided this after reading a lot on the healthboards about eating good stuff. I do soy milk mostly but some organic milk and cheese. I have noticed if I eat diary including great organic yogurt I get some digestive issues. Can someone explain? Thanks, Leb

Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

In a nut shell, everyone is allergic to dairy in one form or another. It causes gas, bloating, excess mucus build up, inflammation etc. Us Lymies don't need anymore inflammation that's for sure!

Also, there is a link between MS and dairy consumption. In Eskimo/Innuit people, there are hardly any cases of MS (they don't consume dairy). In Norway MS is up to five times more common in the inland farming areas than in the relatively nearby coastal fishing areas." John McDougall, M.D., cites the British medical journal Lancet in pointing out that a diet filled with dairy products has been closely linked to the development of MS.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

key, what kind of probiotics do you and your kids take (and is it ok for a 3 yr old? how old is your kids?) Are you talking about yogurt or a pill?

Thanks,
J

Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

I take Lee ******* Ultimate Probiotic. It's working really well for me. I bought some children's probiotics at a healthfood store. The LLMD today asked if my kids are on probiotics and I said yes. He knew their ages so I would say probiotics are safe for 2 yrs old and up. Just find one that's geared for kids and follow the dosage instructions.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
(female)

Lebnin HB User

Thanks K ey for the info. I certainly do believe and agree about the dairy stuff. I did not know anything about dairy causing or contributing to inflammation, WOW. How about soy though, what's the talk about no soy. I don't understand that too ? Thanks, Leb

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebnin View Post
Thanks K ey for the info. I certainly do believe and agree about the dairy stuff. I did not know anything about dairy causing or contributing to inflammation, WOW. How about soy though, what's the talk about no soy. I don't understand that too ? Thanks, Leb
Soy causes estrogen levels to increase. For women with Lyme's, PCOS or endo, this isn't good. If you estrogen levels are too high, you'll produce too much menustral (endometrial) lining (leads to heavy periods, endometriosis) and will have a hard time having a period. My periods completely stopped when my Lyme flared up really bad. So, I have to make sure that I don't do anything that will mess up my estrogen levels any worse then they already are.

There's a chinese tea pill called Free and Easy Wanderer Plus. It's supposed to decrease estrogen levels and pms symptoms. I've been taking it for 2 months now and actually have normal periods now. I hadn't had a normal period for so long that the first "real" period I had was absolutely horrible. Now they are much better.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

3love HB User

How about Organic milk? Is that ok?

J

Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
(female)

Lebnin HB User

Thanks Key, I do not have normal periods and will try this tea. Thanks Leb